Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fashion and the Damned, what is your character's style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Depends on how the studs are built. They could have flat insides, as opposed to being spiked. And the studs could be useful for blocking sharp instruments such as blades and arrows, which would normally cut through the leather fairly easily.

The manner in which the leather is manufactured could also play a part in it's defensive qualities. Some types being more durable than others.

No, they are useless. The studs themselves would be weak points in the leather while hardly redirecting stabs and would make sword-blows worse (if the blade hits one flat, you have a stud driven into you like a nail). The idea came about when they saw plate/splint armour that had leather stretched over it and the studs would prop through it. This guy give a quick sum up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJiAxDeGlF0

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post

No, they are useless. The studs themselves would be weak points in the leather while hardly redirecting stabs and would make sword-blows worse (if the blade hits one flat, you have a stud driven into you like a nail). The idea came about when they saw plate/splint armour that had leather stretched over it and the studs would prop through it. This guy give a quick sum up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJiAxDeGlF0

I meant the internal stud would be flat. I wasn't suggesting you put spikes facing into your body.

Comment

I meant the internal stud would be flat. I wasn't suggesting you put spikes facing into your body.
        Now I'm imagining the origin of studded leather in a fantasy setting as the result of a necromancer warlord attempting to improve the durability of his undead army by nailing their armor in place

Comment

Even if it's flat, it's still a condensing the full force of the blow into the size of a hammerhead. With armour, you want to disperse the energy of a blow as widely as possible and small studs are completely counterproductive. If a sword strikes leather, it loses power when it has to cut through the fabric's structure. When it hits a stud in the leather, it would just pushes the stud in, causing basically hammer hits.
          Studded leather wasn't a thing until biker bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
            Did you play through all of the Vampire Masquarade: Bloodlines game? Which Clan did you choose for your character?

You are inquisitive are you -_-

My first and only complete play through was Toreador (who are my fave even in tabletop)

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post

Great, now I have a character concept for a kawaii goth lolita! I hope you are happy! My next ST will hate you!

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

You are inquisitive are you -_-

My first and only complete play through was Toreador (who are my fave even in tabletop)

I'm going to assume you only played through once because of that Ocean House Hotel?

Don't worry, most of us thought the same thing.

"Oh, I'm a vampire, what do I have to be scared of?"

Five minutes later, I'm shooting anything that isn't bolted to the floor, because "fuck ghosts!"
                Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-12-2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

So my favorite character was a nightclub owner and rock musician, and her fashions were a bit flamboyant. Often very punkish or heavy metal, which did stand out but as a musician she wanted to stand out ... as a musician. Outside of that context she tended to dress appropriately for the social context. Much of the time in jeans or skirts and t-shirts. If she was going somewhere she had to dress up she'd dress up, but it wasn't her primary choice.

Comment

It's been done.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                      I actually thought of these.
                      http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Butcher%27s_Nails

Comment

Working...
                      X