How do vampires react to total solar eclipse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do vampires react to total solar eclipse

Such as this one that is happening today https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com .
    Last edited by the viking anarch; 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM.

Boringly enough, I don't think they really matter. If you're talking WoD vampires who sleep during the day, the eclipse doesn't last long enough for them to take advantage of it, even if it wakes them up for the duration.

If your vampires are able to be active during the day, by all means it should be an occasion for all sorts of rituals and hijinks.

Maybe you can make some hay off that - mortal sorcerers want to perform some sort of ritual, but the characters won't be awake to oppose them directly, so they have to find out enough about the sorcerers' plans that they can send ghouls to foil the ritual. And then do a session based on that, playing the ghouls and retainers.

Comment

I'm not sure if any book details the effect. Mechanics as are, nothing would happen, as far as I know. But I think it'd be interesting to allow them to awaken and act normally as they wish. Though, you would have to increase the duration of the event to make it meaningful at all.

Comment

I live in Charleston, SC, and, if their experience is anything like mine, they are kicking themselves for not viewing the eclipse from a location two miles to the east where it doesn't cloud up just as totality is reached.

Comment

There was a solar-eclipse?

Comment

i think the humanity 10 and early risers will have a chance to wake up... but only briefly. if they dont know about the eclipse or look at a clock, they could have inconvenient problems. the lower humanity or path kindred will not stir from their slumber.

Comment

some ideas i have :

_It could be very freaky for a vampire to wake up during the day and going to panickally check if everything is well closed ( perhaps discovering at this moment a hole in the chatterton on the window and sensing the end of the eclipse during is going to rotschrek )

_A Black hand assassin , trained to wake up at the second the sun quit the horizon has 7 minutes to introduce himself in the prince lair kill him and exit. The surprise the next morning where the prince of the city is discovered diablerized.

_The old mathuselah in torpor who wake up suddenly at 30 meters in earth and scream of terror. All the members of his clan or of his lineage sense that something horrible is about to happen ( the rotschrek mathuselah that someone has to calm down and accompany to his refuge ( or diablerize, depends the munchkiness of your chronicle )

Comment

Their eyes snap open in their coffin, and they leap out of their coffins and into their hammer pants. Wild dancing and karaoke to "Can't Touch this". Then hammer pants off and back into the coffin.

Comment

I'm somewhere between "Not at all" and "Cross their fingers that the world won't blow up while they sleep", like they do every night.

Comment

Sabbat vampires like to stare right into the eclipse without goofy glasses because they're badasses and nobody can tell them what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                      Sabbat vampires like to stare right into the eclipse without goofy glasses because they're badasses and nobody can tell them what to do.
                      Except that they forget that they're only awake for lunar eclipses, so everyone ends up laughing at them when they show up at night and start posturing.

Comment

Wasn't there a Sabbat group or ancient Methuselah that used the eclipse to their advantage in Mexico?

Comment

There's probably some blood magic Ritual that can only be performed during an eclipse. Meaning the sorcerer needs to stay up all day, fighting the instinct to fall asleep long enough to cast it.

Would need to be a pretty potent Ritual, given its rarity and steep difficulty to pull off.

Although I suppose the sorcerer could cast Wake With Evening's Freshness before bed, then have their ghoul wake them up five minutes before the eclipse happens. That way, their earlier magic would help them rouse themselves to full wakefulness, at least for the scene. Not sure if "danger" - as written - is an absolute requirement, or just the intended scenario where it would be useful. Is a sorcerer considered "in danger" of missing their Ritual window? Or does a ghoul need to fire a gun into the air to wake the master up?

Comment

Missing a ritual window is not danger, and the (most likely blood bound) ghoul firing a gun in the air won't probably qualify either.

Comment

As a guess, for a lot of them there is probably the irritation of suddenly waking up for a brief period during the day before the need to sleep comes over them again. (Mechanically, you might use it as an excuse to not recover all of your Willpower from sleeping.)

Lasombra Abyss Mystics may decide this is the time to hold some sort of important ritual or rite, but staying awake for it is going to be really hard.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                              X