Penalizing Soak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalizing Soak

For combat use, what are the ways a character can penalize damage soaking for an opponent in combat? In this case it's damage from Obtenebration arms, but I understand it applies generally. We are running V20, so please let me know if your responses are V20 or classic.

Last edited by g3taso; 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM.

I don't believe you can, (or should to be honest). Soak is a Dice Pool that is noted as always getting full pool, such as when taking multiple actions, and is not hindered by wound penalties.

There are ways to remove armor or weaken Stamina (Assamite poison), but I dont believe there is a way to bypasse Fortitude, and shouldn't be, as its generally held as the weaker of the three physical Disciplines.

On the other hand, Obtenebration is already rediculously strong, and too good, and probably needs to be tonned down.
    Last edited by Beckett; 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Soak sucks and Obtenebration is stupidly strong, so why?

Comment

I'm asking in general, merely acknowledging in my particular case it's for obtenebration. I am asking in general what disciplines, rituals and so can affect the ability of an opponent to soak damage. I didn't say claw damage, I didn't say lethal, fire or infernal kumquat damage. I used the example of Paper Flesh, which can lower Stamina (and thus soak). Surely other rituals and abilities exist that also alter soaking (by dice, difficulty or other mechanical benefit)?

Comment

I must have missed your example. But still, in general, I wouldn't think there is much to penalize Soak outside of lowering Stamina or removing Armor.

Comment

It is different from other mechanics in that way, but I do recall a couple of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckett View Post
              I must have missed your example. But still, in general, I wouldn't think there is much to penalize Soak outside of lowering Stamina or removing Armor.
              Sorry. It was on the note I wrote but I guess I didn't get it up here. You'll forgive an old man in his forties, we sometimes forget. You'll forgive an old man in his forties, we sometimes forget.

Comment

No worries. I just think that there is already such limited use for Stamina, especially for the undead, trying to hinder it's one big use would be a really poor design.

Comment

Working...
                X