X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theodrim
    • Nov 2013

Some notes.

Don't forget all Obenebration levels, save Arms of Ahriman, invoke Courage rolls in observers and targets; and, in the case of Shadow Play and Shroud, mortals and animals always must roll that check (as opposed to Black Metamorphosis and witnessing the transformation into Tenebrous Form). In my latest VtM game in which I played a Lasombra, I explained it to the ST as akin to being waterboarded, except in this case it's being waterboarded by living shadow trying to tear one's very life essence from their body. In fact, with a Lasombra I played in an earlier chronicle (different ST) who was the proprietor of a PMC, his "elite" fire team of ghouls regularly performed live fire and CQC exercises whilst having a Shroud dropped on them.

Arms are by RAW incapable of fine motor control. They're frenetic appendages in constant motion unless grasping and constricting something. Tearing a door off its hinges, for example, unquestionably doable; opening one, closing one, and/or holding it open, that's more of an ask and open to ST interpretation. I've always read the write-up for Arms of Ahriman to simply mean "tentacle whip" attacks, however silly it may be to prevent them, are off-limits for some reason. To deal damage, they must first win the grapple check, and on subsequent actions use the "damage an opponent" action if they maintain the grapple. It kind of balances out Arms a bit, at least, since it takes a turn to start doing damage with them and the opponent gets at least one turn to try to break the grapple before Shadow Hentai Fun Time begins.

That said, my latest Lasombra was Angelis Ater, and in lieu of fucking with weirdo and broken bloodline shit, I simply took ECD (Obfuscate) to analog it. Until I got Tenebrous Form, Shadow Play got dropped in just about every scene, except for dialog scenes involving other PC's. Considering exposure to bright light or spotlights was a key factor in piercing Obfuscate levels 1 and 2 mundanely, being able to dampen nearby light came in handy more than once. I also took Nightshades in lieu of Black Metamorphosis, and traded in a big-ass boon for instruction in Melpominee; the other players laughed until they realized they'd never seen my character in person after about a third of the way through the chronicle -- they'd been talking to a Nightshade to which I was throwing my voice the entire time, and was so accustomed to my use of Shadow Play they never questioned it, while I was safely out of harm's way in Tenebrous Form and using Unseen Presence.

Had that game gone on long enough for my character to have developed Cloak the Gathering, I had many potential uses of Obtenebration and Obfuscate combined planned. Masking fellow PC's to all look the same while dropping several Nightshades of the same appearance to confound and distract opponents; Mask opponents to look like allies, and vice versa, and start dropping Nightshades of the people Masked; Vanishing allies and dropping Nightshades to make it look as if they'd reappeared; stuff like that, generally-speaking.

Comment

• Nosimplehiway
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
      Don't forget all Obenebration levels, save Arms of Ahriman, invoke Courage rolls in observers and targets; and, in the case of Shadow Play and Shroud, mortals and animals always must roll that check (as opposed to Black Metamorphosis and witnessing the transformation into Tenebrous Form). In my latest VtM game in which I played a Lasombra, I explained it to the ST as akin to being waterboarded, except in this case it's being waterboarded by living shadow trying to tear one's very life essence from their body. In fact, with a Lasombra I played in an earlier chronicle (different ST) who was the proprietor of a PMC, his "elite" fire team of ghouls regularly performed live fire and CQC exercises whilst having a Shroud dropped on them.
      Those are some great uses. I especially like combining with Melpominee.

I have to admit, though, I'm a little confused by your use of abbreviations. What is a PMC and a CQC? I tried googling them, but it doesn't seem right that your Lasombra (or maybe the ST) was the proprietor of PubMed Central, an online publisher of medical research articles, who has elite fire ghouls regularly performing live fire exercises against the UK's National Health's Care Quality Commission.

Though, to be fair, I'm sure some patients, care providers, and administrators in UK hospitals would understand the urge.

Comment

• AzraelFirestorm
        • Nov 2013

PMC = Private Military Company

CQC = Close-Quarter Combat

As far as the usefulness of the basic levels of Obtenebration goes, I find that they get the most mileage when used with the additional rules and fluff found in Clanbook: Lasombra Revised for Arms of the Abyss and Black Metamorphosis. The Arms become far more interesting and useful than writhing combat tentacles, and the added fluff for Black Metamorphosis makes it more of a flavorful unleashing of the Lasombra's "inner darkness" than just a simple war form. I don't use Nightshades. There are already two whole disciplines devoted to creating illusions to some degree. That's enough for me. I'd much prefer a Lasombra at Obtenebration 4 shadow-sneaking into a room before terrifying their victim with a transformation into what looks like some manner of demonic shadow monster.
        Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 09-21-2017, 07:10 AM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
        - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
        (She/Her)

Comment

• Kammerer
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
          I'd much prefer a Lasombra at Obtenebration 4 shadow-sneaking into a room before terrifying their victim with a transformation into what looks like some manner of demonic shadow monster.
          Yeah, but Lasombra can already do that with Obtenebration 5.

Comment

• AzraelFirestorm
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
            Yeah, but Lasombra can already do that with Obtenebration 5.
            Allow me to be more specific, then: I prefer a transformation that allows physical contact and legs. At level 5, I'd have to use other powers as well to continue carryIng on combat, and that's just not what I want from the power set. If I'm using level 5, I'm usually avoiding combat, and using Tenebrous Form in other ways. I find that I get more role-playing opportunities with Black Metamorphosis than Nightshades. It's about preference. If you prefer Nightshades, have at it.
            Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
            (She/Her)

Comment

• g3taso
              • Sep 2014

AzraelFirestorm and others:
              Actually, Obtenebration has something like a war form but creepier. Not Black Metamorphosis; sorry, it's cool but more a niche product. Here's what you do:
              1. Throw down a Shroud, then spend blood to assume Tenebrous Form. Now invoke tentacles once (or twice) and the tentacles come out of your shadowy (and formless) body. What you have left is an amoeboid horror with 6+ arms that can mow down opponents like a chainsaw. Of course if you are fighting a Lasombra this is less effective. Shroud means you can basically go after non-Lasombra with the reasonable expectation they will be blind and easier pickings. I have used this for "mook clearing" when storming someone's stronghold and the tactic is effective.

Comment

• Kammerer
                • Jan 2017

Lasombra can't see through each other's shrouds, only through their own.

Comment

• Nosimplehiway
                  • Mar 2016

Which reminds me of another use. When reading a document in public, like your iPhone on a train, say, make the screen look completely black to everyone around you. Privacy mode!

Comment

• Kammerer
                    • Jan 2017

Wouldn't that be a giant Masquerade breach? Having a blob of darkness floating over your phone in public?

Comment

• Monalfie
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                      Which reminds me of another use. When reading a document in public, like your iPhone on a train, say, make the screen look completely black to everyone around you. Privacy mode!
                      C'mon, nobody looks at each other on the train anyway.

Comment

• Nosimplehiway
                        • Mar 2016

Total brainstorming here, ignore me if it's dumb, but...

I wonder... does Obtenabration only block visible light? Given the other-worldy alien feel of it, it seems like it might block further up and down the spectrum.

If it doesn't, then certain Protean powers, some Vicissitude mods, and some uses of Abombwe would be able to ignore the darkness. (It's fun to think of butterflies and moths merrily ignoring the evil, abyssal darkness while humans are freaking out.)

But if it does block higher and lower wavelengths, well... that opens a lot of possibilities.

It could explain the weird hot/cold dichotomy as IR (and other wavelengths) is blocked and unblocked by billowing waves of IR-blocking shadow, like when you step in and out of a visible shadow on a sunny day.

You could block transmissions, like cell phones, radio stations and even most remote controls. Blocking SHF would allow you to block radar, wireless LANs, wireless USBs, and satellite transmissions, like GPS. Many security systems operate with these transmission based technology today. Blocking "electric eye" type security systems would just set it off, but if you did so repeatedly while there was clearly nothing there, the security personnel would likely take it offline for service.

If shadow figures are a power for your game, how would that translate into other wavelengths? Could you generate false radio transmissions?

If you know anyone who works in experimental particle physics or astronomy? They would kill to get a field in which all ambient em radiation is blocked. Just having a good size, easily adjustable occulter would be awesome for most telescopes.

If it does block high and low frequencies, does that imply that Obtenbration operates by turning ambient particles into black bodies by reordering their arrangement? That in itself could have some practical applications. Any material science people out there familiar with optics?

Comment

• Nosimplehiway
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
                          C'mon, nobody looks at each other on the train anyway.
                          Oh? Am I really the only one who... I mean, of course not, no one would ever... umm... do that.

Comment

• Nosimplehiway
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                            Wouldn't that be a giant Masquerade breach? Having a blob of darkness floating over your phone in public?
                            1. Its a Lasombra, so its more about keeping the secrets that need kept than convincing the populace they live in Normalland.
                            B. It doesn't need to be a giant blob. It could be a tiny, very flat blob. If they can choke someone with pure darkness, and make it so no one can quite keep track of where to point the gun, they can blank out a phone.

Comment

• AzraelFirestorm
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by g3taso View Post
                              Guest and others:
                              Actually, Obtenebration has something like a war form but creepier. Not Black Metamorphosis; sorry, it's cool but more a niche product. Here's what you do:
                              1. Throw down a Shroud, then spend blood to assume Tenebrous Form. Now invoke tentacles once (or twice) and the tentacles come out of your shadowy (and formless) body. What you have left is an amoeboid horror with 6+ arms that can mow down opponents like a chainsaw. Of course if you are fighting a Lasombra this is less effective. Shroud means you can basically go after non-Lasombra with the reasonable expectation they will be blind and easier pickings. I have used this for "mook clearing" when storming someone's stronghold and the tactic is effective.
                              I'm just going to say this plainly: Using your own (nigh invulnerable) Tenebrous Form as a replacement for the patches of darkness required to summon Arms of the Abyss is overpowered and shouldn't work using the RAW.

(She/Her)

Comment

• g3taso
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post

I'm just going to say this plainly: Using your own (nigh invulnerable) Tenebrous Form as a replacement for the patches of darkness required to summon Arms of the Abyss is overpowered and shouldn't work using the RAW.

Just as plainly. Where in the description of Tenebrous Form, in either fluff or mechanics, advise us that this is not the case? In fact, the description says "At this level, the Kindred's mastery of darkness is so extensive that she may physically become it. Upon activation of this power, the vampire becomes an inky, amoeboid patch of shadow. "

Comment

Working...