Critical Role by Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Role by Night

Okay so they have two sessions of Taliesin's Vampire the Masquerade game for October over at Critical Role. Now anyone know with the Alpha what is the deal with all the blood dice? From my observations it seems to detract more from the game then it adds.

But yeah more Vampire advertisements. Critical Role is the biggest Tabletop Game out in the open so I hope this draws some people into Whitewolfy end of the hobby.

Anyone else watch Critical Role by the way? Nerdy ass voice actors playing D&D?

Not a huge fan. The show is okay, but a lot of people who get into the hobby assume that the show is how D&D is played. It's easy to ID such folks because they think a 20 on die has magical reality warping powers, and that you should make life and death decisions in a dungeon based on how hilarious the outcome will be.

It's cool that it gets people into the hobby, but it's annoying to have to break people of their assumptions from watching a dramatization of play. And it's twice as annoying when people argue that you're playing wrong because you don't play how CR plays, despite being a DM for over a decade.

Comment

Critical Role is amazing, and Matthew Mercer is a seriously impressive DM. After following the main campaign for nearly two years, several scenes in the finale legitimately reduced me into a blubbering mess.

As for Taliesin's Vampire one-shot, it was a good time -- these are all professionally charismatic people -- but there was obviously a lot of fumbling with the new system. The absurdity of vampire Gary Gygax and the Geek & Sundry crew was in keeping with the tone of a silly one-off game, but anyone who was hoping to see personal horror and political maneuvering should skip this one.

It was a bummer to see Matt and Marisha's characters get killed off so quickly, but they had to fade out of the game anyway, since the two were off to their honeymoon after the first session.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanos View Post
        Not a huge fan. The show is okay, but a lot of people who get into the hobby assume that the show is how D&D is played. It's easy to ID such folks because they think a 20 on die has magical reality warping powers, and that you should make life and death decisions in a dungeon based on how hilarious the outcome will be.

It's cool that it gets people into the hobby, but it's annoying to have to break people of their assumptions from watching a dramatization of play. And it's twice as annoying when people argue that you're playing wrong because you don't play how CR plays, despite being a DM for over a decade.
        Fair points, but the show is so far removed from the style of D&D that I enjoy that I really just watch it more like a web series than an example of how to play the game. If anyone came to me insisting that I dramatize the game like professional voice actors, I would run out of patience in short order.

Comment

That's interesting because I have yet to run into anyone who has watched CR and came away feeling the need to enforce what they saw in a game like that. But there could always be one-offs. To be honest I find that sort of player-strong arming in WoD games far more often.

But that being said: I didn't care for the blood dice either but apparently it was the Alpha rules for a new version of Vampire (they mentioned it briefly I think in the very beginning and a couple people in the Project Alpha chat confirmed it, which I think The Onyx Path PR person did too.)

Lost Tribes Gaming:
          Cyberpunk 2020 Phoenix:1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month 6pm to 9pm AZ time (-7GMT)
          http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Was a fun one off but yeah the new system ( though apparently he threw some house rules in as well or just ignored stuff that got over-complicated/detracted too much from play) was pants.

Comment

Although it was fun seeing them play themselves as vampires

Lost Tribes Gaming:
              Cyberpunk 2020 Phoenix:1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month 6pm to 9pm AZ time (-7GMT)
              http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Love that T. went around checking with the RL folks if it was ok to kill off their NPC counterparts......can't really do that when I use folks from my workplace as NPCs....would draw way too much attention from HR.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanos View Post

I think that, perhaps, there is a level of misperception going both ways in terms of your view of CR. I've watched it since it started, and Matt & Co. don't treat a natural 20 with any more effect than is usually the case with many/most homebrews-meet-game rules (that is, Matt allows for a 20 to be a "crit" for skill/ability checks -- having something extra happen, when/where appropriate -- but he doesn't in any way, shape or form treat it as "magically warping reality" -- he has on a number of occasions checked against the PC's ability/proficiency mods to the 20 to see if "x" worked or not, and balances rolling a 20 with a 1 being an often-or-auto fail, regardless of skill, which again is a very common houserule for many tables). Also, while they do have some episodes that stress the comedic over the action/dramatic (particularly when they've done their live audience shows, like at GenCon, and there is of course a degree of "playing to the audience"), they have far more that emphasize long battles and serious drama. Perhaps you only saw the episodes that slanted towards the comedic and/or were favoring the more light/silly aspects of their storylines. But CR is definitely a good example of the range DnD can cover in terms of comedy, action, drama and ongoing storylines paired with dungeon crawls (some of their "DnD-est" episodes involve Matt working his layered map mojo). The only unfair comparison from a "real-play" POV is that all the players in CR are professional actors/voice actors, so they of course bring a level of characterization that the average player might not; on the flip, however, they also do *so many things* "wrong" that is very representative of new/inexperienced players (as half the regular players had absolutely no experience with TTRPGs when they started playing) and that is just as "real" as with anyone else who plays DnD.

Matt stressed from the beginning (and periodically since) to viewers that their show/game is just one homebrew 5E DnD game and that there are many ways to play (including actually just using the rules-as-written in the books). That there are fanbois/grlz who get "that way" about it isn't so much a negative against CR as it is an-all-too-frequent side-effect of *any* fandom related to this hobby.

Food for thought...
                  Last edited by Just John, Forever...; 11-11-2017, 10:48 PM. Reason: spacing

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    Okay so they have two sessions of Taliesin's Vampire the Masquerade game for October over at Critical Role. Now anyone know with the Alpha what is the deal with all the blood dice? From my observations it seems to detract more from the game then it adds.

But yeah more Vampire advertisements. Critical Role is the biggest Tabletop Game out in the open so I hope this draws some people into Whitewolfy end of the hobby.

Anyone else watch Critical Role by the way? Nerdy ass voice actors playing D&D?
                    I've watched the show and just read the rules about the Blood dice, it has potential to cut into the flow of things if you let it ('Oh wait you got a compulsion on that check let me look at the table, oh wait its actually the clan's compulsion table, oh wait where were we?') , I think I'm going to code a dedicated compulsion random generator just for that and it would quickly return an appropriate compulsion if needed.

Comment

Hopefully it helps other White Wolf actual plays get noticed too.

For different game play videos of White Wolf Games from my play group
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
                      https://soundcloud.com/twin-cities-by-night
                      If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

Working...
                      X