No announcement yet.

Running the Giovanni Chronicles (DAV20)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the Giovanni Chronicles (DAV20)

I'm going to be running the Giovanni Chronicles for Vampire the Masquerade for my table top group. I've got until the 6th of January to familiarize myself with the uniqueness of the 20th Anniversary edition of Dark Ages Vampire, which we will be using for the rules.

Is there any advice you can offer for running this specific story line, or Dark Ages Vampire in general? For character creation I am following the general guidelines presented in The Last Supper (part 1 of the Chronicle), so they get to start as 7th generation Kindred of one of the 13 high and low clans, but I'm open to hearing why some of the backgrounds or Disciplines shouldn't be allowed at the start.

I’ve never run an official story for Vampire before, do they all have this much monologue?

focus more on the story and not the rules. The rules will come in time but if the story sounds choppy or disjointed it will take the players out of the scene often.

Once you have a familiarity with the story then focus on the rules for whatever the players end up making. That way you can prepare for any potential questions they may have about what they can and can't do and it will help keep your focus on just what you need instead of trying to memorize the whole book. Same with the NPCs

Lost Tribes Gaming: Shadow of the Phoenix: Sabbat 2nd and 4th Sundays 2pm PST to 6pm (-7GMT)
    Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00am (-7GMT)
    http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Don't run the Giovanni chronicles straight out of the book. It's a railroad that does not allow players to diverge from what is happening. Take inspiration and guide players where you want them to be, but unless your players like amusement park rpgs running straight out of the book will ruin vampire for them.

Comment

Originally posted by PazuzuAxelf View Post
        I’ve never run an official story for Vampire before, do they all have this much monologue?
        They are all pretty different as they all had different teams and developers. Also Giovanni Chronicles starts out very 2e before moving more 3e/Revised in later books.

One thing that helped me when I ran it was to have at least a solid idea that the PCs were all going to end up in the same Sect eventually. The first time I ran it they all ended up in the Camarilla, the second time they all went Sabbat (though interestingly there were no Lasombra or Tzimisce). Of course, this isn’t completely necessary, but it can help with getting the PCs back together as a group after time has passed in setting.

M

Operations Manager - Onyx Path Publishing
        Owner/Editor - FlamesRising.com

Comment

Based purely on concept and clan they've all pitched to me I think it's likely they all eventually end up Sabbat. I have a Malkavian, Lasombra, Assamite, Tzimisce, and Ravnos.

Comment

Having run the Gio Chronicles a few times, my suggestion is based off of my experiences. I suggest you drop the last book and come up with something on your own. Like, books 1-3 are just fine. I played my games pretty dark (It's a Black Dog product after all!), so, if you're going to run as written, which I suggest you do for maximum squirm factor, make sure your players are on board with the very uncomfortable mature themes beforehand. I mean, it's not the most uncomfortable game I've ever run (I've run more then a few Kult campaigns), it's still something that should be discussed. Those are my only two suggestions: Drop book 4 in favor of something good and talk to your players. Someone mentioned Sects? All the times I've run GC, I've had a mix of Sabbat and Cam, but, at that level of play, by the time you get to a modern day, it doesn't make a difference. When your PCs are older then both, their shared experience usually trumps any Sect loyalty. It's like arguing politics with your friends: It can get heated, but you're still friends. At least, that's how all my Elder Players have played it. Good luck!

Comment

I've considered that. Maybe using the Harbingers of Skulls later down the line as some sort of antagonists or protagonists, depending on how the other 3 parts go. I won't know until we get that far, which could take a while.

Comment

We ended up with the following characters;

Court jester who's Lord has died and is looking for new work since the Lady kicked him out. She never liked him and suspected her husband of having a homosexual affair with him. He has bi-polar disorder, and upon his embrace into clan Malkavian it will intensify greatly.

Daughter of a minor Egyptian noble/merchant in Cairo who was forced into an arranged marriage with her cousin. On the night it was to be consummated she murdered him and covered it up. She did such an excellent job covering her tracks and misleading everyone for months into believing he was either busy or traveling that she was able to get away with moving his wealth around and skipping town. She was later tracked down by a bounty hunter, but instead of bringing her back she was recruited and trained to be a killer for hire. She will be embraced into clan Assamite (warrior caste).

Former Janissary in the Turkish army. As a young boy he was taken into slavery and forced to serve the Sultan and convert to Islam. Firearms are slowly becoming used on a mass scale and he showed great skill at crafting these instruments of death and their ammunition. After receiving the invitation to the manse of Lord Giovanni he sought permission from the Sultan to go, and it was granted (to his surprise). He will be embraced into clan Ravnos and will develop a curious mutation and have Serpentis as a clan Discipline (he's taking the merit for it).

Young noble lady sent off by her family to the Church to serve god as a nun. There she spent a great deal of time reading and learning hidden occult lore that was confiscated by the Church, and came to hate the organization and the patriarchy. After her embrace into clan Lasombra she will fully devote herself to vampirism and see this as a path to divinity.

Last character is a Mongol slave trader turned Tzimisce. Idk anything else about the character as the player was unable to make the character creation session.

Comment

Originally posted by PazuzuAxelf View Post
                  We ended up with the following characters;

Court jester who's Lord has died and is looking for new work since the Lady kicked him out. She never liked him and suspected her husband of having a homosexual affair with him. He has bi-polar disorder, and upon his embrace into clan Malkavian it will intensify greatly.

Daughter of a minor Egyptian noble/merchant in Cairo who was forced into an arranged marriage with her cousin. On the night it was to be consummated she murdered him and covered it up. She did such an excellent job covering her tracks and misleading everyone for months into believing he was either busy or traveling that she was able to get away with moving his wealth around and skipping town. She was later tracked down by a bounty hunter, but instead of bringing her back she was recruited and trained to be a killer for hire. She will be embraced into clan Assamite (warrior caste).

Former Janissary in the Turkish army. As a young boy he was taken into slavery and forced to serve the Sultan and convert to Islam. Firearms are slowly becoming used on a mass scale and he showed great skill at crafting these instruments of death and their ammunition. After receiving the invitation to the manse of Lord Giovanni he sought permission from the Sultan to go, and it was granted (to his surprise). He will be embraced into clan Ravnos and will develop a curious mutation and have Serpentis as a clan Discipline (he's taking the merit for it).

Young noble lady sent off by her family to the Church to serve god as a nun. There she spent a great deal of time reading and learning hidden occult lore that was confiscated by the Church, and came to hate the organization and the patriarchy. After her embrace into clan Lasombra she will fully devote herself to vampirism and see this as a path to divinity.

Last character is a Mongol slave trader turned Tzimisce. Idk anything else about the character as the player was unable to make the character creation session.

That's a fairly diverse group. Should be interesting!

Comment

It seems that Jamal is also a likely candidate at the progenitor of this particular Assamite. Who spawned the Viziers I wonder? If Sorcerers come from Ur-Shulgi, and Warriors seem to be the most common, the Viziers are likely just like the Sorcerers and come from a single 4th gen.

Comment

Working...
                    X