Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a Cappadocian survive into modern day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a Cappadocian survive into modern day?

My group is going to be playing a V20 game where we start in the Roman Republic at the Punic wars and go through Dark ages into modern nights as elders. So far we have a Lasombra, a Gangrel, a Toreador and a Daughter of Cacophony. One of the clans I've always wanted to play is Cappadocian. However I would like to not have my character die. I thought the idea of a surviving Cappadocian was cool. Could you think of a way to make this work? My first thought was being a political Cappadocian who goes into hiding after the Giovanni take over the clan. It's also been suggested that he could become a Harbinger of skulls, but I believe that would require a century of being locked away? What do you think?

I think the best alternative is simply to let the Giovanni purge either fail or never happen. Trying to shoehorn in both a Giovanni purge of the Cappadocians and then also add a Cappadocian ancient Elder who operates openly could lead to many weird situations and could mean that your character is to busy warring with the Giovanni to take much of a part in the rest of the campaign.

Comment

I propose the opposite; see if the Storyteller will focus on this aspect later on in the story. It could be a compelling narrative to have an all out war with the usurpers of your clan in the modern nights.

Comment

There're a few Cappadocian survivors in canon (looking at you, Angelique and Apacia), so having yours be another is entirely possible.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Pull a Saulot or Mithras. During the purge your character gets diablerized by a giovanni but wins the mental battle either immediately or within a few decades ( Or becomes a gestalt consciousness i.e. Mithras and Monty Coven).
          Character gets to continue, the purge happens and your character has a lot of interesting options.
          Last edited by Vendrin; 12-21-2017, 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Then again, Obfuscate is a terribly useful Discipline when one is trying to hide in plain sight.

My Storyteller Vault supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMacDowellBlue View Post
              Then again, Obfuscate is a terribly useful Discipline when one is trying to hide in plain sight.
              You know, unless the character meets a vampire with a higher Auspex than them, and sees right through the disguise.

Comment

An Cappodocian could survive pretty easy by leaving areas where the Giovanni are weak or not present. Like, he could retreat into the middle-east or Africa. The Cappodocians are a old clan and like all the other non-usurping ones it's not like they existed only in Europe. Laying low in out of the way area of western or eastern Europe works equally well, especially if the Kindred in question is clever. Another way to avoid the coup that wiped out the clan is to have your character actively oppose it in-game. Alot of people were against Augustus Giovanni's embrace and Cappodocius himself was acting rather... odd... for years near the end. There's a reason why a chunk of the clan didn't show up to the Feast of Folly.

Comment

Yeah, African, Middle Eastern and maybe Indian ones might survive. They'd probably have physically degenerated in a way similar to the Samedi and Harbingers of Skulls, but they'd still be lurking about.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                    You know, unless the character meets a vampire with a higher Auspex than them, and sees right through the disguise.
                    And who cares or cannot be bribed to keep quiet AND survives. What is the generation of this Cappadocian elder after all? His Obfuscate might be ungodly compared to those with Auspex who surround him. And what will someone seeing through the mask actually see? A very, very pale vampire who looks like he (or she) was dying of cancer or consumption when they were Embraced. Unless they're stupid enough to wear a "I HEART CAPPADOCIUS" t-shirt or something.

My Storyteller Vault supplements.

Comment

Have him be "adopted" by clan Tremere.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMacDowellBlue View Post
                        And who cares or cannot be bribed to keep quiet AND survives. What is the generation of this Cappadocian elder after all? His Obfuscate might be ungodly compared to those with Auspex who surround him. And what will someone seeing through the mask actually see? A very, very pale vampire who looks like he (or she) was dying of cancer or consumption when they were Embraced. Unless they're stupid enough to wear a "I HEART CAPPADOCIUS" t-shirt or something.
                        If the Giovanni are active and looking for survivors of their massacre, that gives someone a VERY good reason to care. Because then if someone finds out, they can sell the Cappadocian out to the Giovanni for some favor.

And yes, the Cappadocian may be a low Generation, but unless they're literally 5 or lower, they're bound to encounter someone whose Auspex is a match for the Graverobber's Obfuscate. Especially since Obfuscate is being bought out-of-clan, meaning it takes longer to develop it. Also, I said "Match"; another Kindred doesn't necessarily need to exceed the Cappadocian's Obfuscate. If their ranks are equal, it comes down to a contested roll.

A roll that needs to be repeated every time the two meet. Or every time the Cappadocian meets someone of equal Auspex.

Not saying the ruse can't be sustained. I AM saying it's going to be difficult, and come down to a lot of planning and luck on the part of the Cappadocian. If the vampire completely retreats from Kindred functions, it lowers the chance of discovery. But it also brings the costs of being such a recluse.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                          Yeah, African, Middle Eastern and maybe Indian ones might survive. They'd probably have physically degenerated in a way similar to the Samedi and Harbingers of Skulls, but they'd still be lurking about.
                          According to Beckett's Jyhad diary, there are indeed quite a few pure Cappadocians under the protection of the Followers of Set; can't really remember much about that arrangement though, someone more versed in Cappadocian matters probably knows more than I do.

Comment

And there are Giovanni posessing the flaw of the cappadocians. Either because they were embraced prior to the amaranth of Cappadocius (they are called premacines IRC) or by developing an additional flaw.

So my Cappadocian would hide within the Giovanni and pretend to be a premascine.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

The character could very well be a non-Giovanni who was allied with and supported the family even before the revolt, and as a result was given leave by Augustus to survive.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                              X