Methods for breaking Blood Bonds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods for breaking Blood Bonds?

I'm getting ready to start a VTM session based around Bloodlines as the base. Things take place before, during and after the game. My character is a 300 year old Malk, who came home to find the love of his life (Played by my girl's crazy mind) murdered on behalf of Sascha Vykos. Despite him finding her dead, the "voices" say she's alive. So he spent 300 years looking for her, only to find her in 2000, who ended up coming to him, spinning a whole story. The whole thing was a trap Sascha cooked up with fleshcrafting, Embrace, blood bonds and other nasty, The two "lovers" ended up bonded to each other and is the only thing keeping her from killing him for killing her actual lover, Sascha. (My Malk sold his soul to a demon in exchange for the power to turn Sascha into his own personal, literal weapon)

In 2003, my Malk finds the true reincarnation of the dead love of his life and this is where my question pops. Being in this faux loving relationship for 3 years, how would you break a blood bond? I read on the wiki page at one point that True Love could be used to break this. How true is that and would you use something like that to break a blood bond?

There is a scene being discussed where my Malk finds his love in the club and there is a snap feeling as the bond to his Tzimisce "soulmate" shatters. She ends up being very disappointed that she can't use the bond to manipulate him anymore and tries to kill his love in return for Sascha's end once her end of the bond to him is broken.

The only way I know about to break the Blood Bond is to join the Sabbat, which can be an adventure in itself, and then participate in the Vaulderie (Spelling?).

Comment

I've read in the past that a blood bond requires the thrall drinks from their master at least once a year, or else the effects will fade away. This is very difficult to prevent, as the blood bond creates an artificial sense of true love towards the master. So the thrall will be fighting to return to them.

Outside of that, the only other options are to convince the master to release them, destroy said master, or partake in a Vaulderie.

Comment

There is the 5th lvl (IRC) ritual.

Vaulderie

Diablerize the Domitor
        Or manage to get him killed
        Stay clear for 12 minus WP months per level of the bond

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

• Using Willpower to temporarily override the Blood Bond - V20 pg 288, DAV20 342
          • Using Willpower and up to a year away from the regnant to dissolve the Blood Bond - V20 pg 288, DAV20 342-343
          • Kill the Regnant - V20 pg 288, DAV20 pg 343
          • Vaulderie (Sabbat Auctoritas Ritae) - V20 pg 288-290
          • Abandon the Fetters (Level 5 Thaumaturgy Ritual) - V20 Rites of Blood pg 154, DAV20 pg 309
            • Breaks Blood Bonds but not Vaulderie or Transubstantiation of the Seven
          • Becoming an Alastor and gaining a Secret Clan Boon by taking out one of the Red List - V20 Red List Dread Names pg 27
            • Breaking a Blood Bond (if possible) is one of the options, likely using Abandon the Fetters
          • Oathbreaker (Vicissitude 8) - V20 Anarchs Unbound pg 111
            • Creates blood that can undo a Blood Bond for a month and a night or more but can create an illusory Bond in its place to the Tzimisce that used the power
          • Concordance/Hell-Born Investiture (Daimonion 6) - V20 pg 446, DAV20 pg 210
            • An open ended power up to ST discretion. The only hard restrictions is it cannot overcome the banes of piety, sunlight, and the need for blood as sustenance. Thus breaking a Blood Bond/Immunity to Blood Bonds could be a possible investiture.
          • Brother's Gift (Dementation 9) - DAV20 pg 217
            • Removes all mental influences with the madness of Malkav including Dominate, Presence, and the Blood Bond
          • Rebirth in the Light of Haquim (Level 4 Thaumaturgy [Assamite Sorcery] Ritual) - DAV20 Tome of Secrets pg 43
            • Rebirth into one of the Assamite castes breaks all Blood Bonds
          • Unbondable (5pt Merit V20) (3pt Merit DAV20) - V20 pg 494, DAV20 pg 426
            • Prevents Bonds from being formed, but as a Merit may not be purchasable during play after creation
          • The False Drink (Auspex 1, Vicissitude 5) Combination Discipline - V20 Lore of the Clans pg 242
            • Does not undo an active Blood Bond but prevents one from being created, or a Vinculum from being formed by storing the offered vitae in a discrete cavity within the body preventing it from being absorbed.
          Last edited by Cynic01; 12-26-2017, 10:05 PM. Reason: Added Concordance the V20 version of Hell-Born Investiture

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic01 View Post
            • Using Willpower to temporarily override the Blood Bond - V20 pg 288, DAV20 342
            • Using Willpower and up to a year away from the regnant to dissolve the Blood Bond - V20 pg 288, DAV20 342-343
            • Kill the Regnant - V20 pg 288, DAV20 pg 343
            • Vaulderie (Sabbat Auctoritas Ritae) - V20 pg 288-290
            • Abandon the Fetters (Level 5 Thaumaturgy Ritual) - V20 Rites of Blood pg 154, DAV20 pg 309
              • Breaks Blood Bonds but not Vaulderie or Transubstantiation of the Seven
            • Becoming an Alastor and gaining a Secret Clan Boon by taking out one of the Red List - V20 Red List Dread Names pg 27
              • Breaking a Blood Bond (if possible) is one of the options, likely using Abandon the Fetters
            • Oathbreaker (Vicissitude 8) - V20 Anarchs Unbound pg 111
              • Creates blood that can undo a Blood Bond for a month and a night or more but can create an illusory Bond in its place to the Tzimisce that used the power
            • Concordance/Hell-Born Investiture (Daimonion 6) - V20 pg 446, DAV20 pg 210
              • An open ended power up to ST discretion. The only hard restrictions is it cannot overcome the banes of piety, sunlight, and the need for blood as sustenance. Thus breaking a Blood Bond/Immunity to Blood Bonds could be a possible investiture.
            • Brother's Gift (Dementation 9) - DAV20 pg 217
              • Removes all mental influences with the madness of Malkav including Dominate, Presence, and the Blood Bond
            • Rebirth in the Light of Haquim (Level 4 Thaumaturgy [Assamite Sorcery] Ritual) - DAV20 Tome of Secrets pg 43
              • Rebirth into one of the Assamite castes breaks all Blood Bonds
            • Unbondable (5pt Merit V20) (3pt Merit DAV20) - V20 pg 494, DAV20 pg 426
              • Prevents Bonds from being formed, but as a Merit may not be purchasable during play after creation
            • The False Drink (Auspex 1, Vicissitude 5) Combination Discipline - V20 Lore of the Clans pg 242
              • Does not undo an active Blood Bond but prevents one from being created, or a Vinculum from being formed by storing the offered vitae in a discrete cavity within the body preventing it from being absorbed.
            Hey Cynic, I wanted to thank you for the list, the others as well. You've given me a lot to think about since I don't have some of the books you listed. I wanted to take my time and get some bits together for a reply.

The Willpower one is a good idea. I could see my Malk using it temporarily to get some balls rolling. As for having the will to stay away long term, not really possible in the story situation. After Sascha Vykos has been dealt with and made into my Malk's signature weapon (Think Samehada from Naruto as a Flesh and bone sword, with Sascha's soul trapped for eternity, or Gehenna, I haven't decided yet. Said demonic power created sword gives my Malk access to all the abilities and knowledge Sascha had at the point of his "death") my Malk and the Tzimisce he sired and used to try and trap him have been living together in the same Haven for 3 years. Blood was often offered to the other, so the blood link is quite bad right now. If he disappeared, she'd come looking, if not to get him back, to kill him for killing Sascha, depending on what her bond is like at the time.

Killing the Tzimisce in question will happen, probably at the hand of my girl's Malk character when defending her man from our now freed Tzimisce. ex-girlfriend. Don't know about Diablierizing her, though. Probably not, given how her Malk has seen the negative impact on mine. (He swore to do anything to get the love of his life back. That included summoning demons, making deals that sold his soul or worse, being a demon puppet at times. And Diablierizing those that had knowledge or power he wanted. Doesn't your aura show stains or something from the act for years?)

Because of said Diablerie, not to mention Infernalism, throwing his lot in with anything Camarilla or Sabbat related would see him hunted more then he already is (Any hunters he's come across have mysteriously not been heard from again. Those who have the right knowledge to devine what happened have little to go on except he's being protected by something powerful. I guess you could consider it the demon he made a pact with not wanting its toy killed so easily. I'm also toying with the idea of Caine being involved behind the scenes the PCs of this idea being agents of Caine. Gotta love that Cab Driver, eh?)

I was thinking about the Vauderie in the beginning, but given his murderous hatred of Sascha Vykos, anything remotely involved with him would disgust my Malk. He'd rather die and face the consequences of his demonic choices. (During one part, it becomes known the whole line about souls and consciousnesses living on and taking control of a body after Diablerie is true in his case, and the demon he made a pact with is the only thing keeping him from being taken over by any one of multiple souls.)

The ritual you mentioned, Abandon the Fetters, interests me. He'd likely use that, if any rituals. With the blood bond broken on his end, what happens to his soon to be dead Tzimice ex-girlfriend? Is she still bonded to him, or freed when he breaks?

Oathbreaker is another interesting bit. Don't have that book, so thank you. I could just see my girl's Tzimisce going nuts over being played like that.

Concordance/Hell-Born Investiture (Daimonion 6) - V20 pg 446, DAV20 pg 210 is another interesting bit given my Malk's demonic ties. But isn't this Baali related? Weren't they all wiped out? How would you find someone who knows this?

Brother's Gift (Dementation 9) - DAV20 pg 217 is also another bit that interests me, considering my character is a Malk. How would you use this in the Modern Nights?

Rebirth in the Light of Haquim (Level 4 Thaumaturgy [Assamite Sorcery] Ritual) - DAV20 Tome of Secrets pg 43[LIST][*]Rebirth into one of the Assamite castes breaks all Blood Bonds - How does this work? A Malkavian joining the Assamites? (Pardon my lack of knowledge, Malks, Tremere Thaumaturgy and Tzimisce are where I've been concentrating while cooking this up. And I didn't know about several bits of this. Whoever thought this up was very creative.)

Unbondable is another thing I originally thought about at the creation of my character, but since our Malk characters bond together at one point, it'd kinda ruin the minute of happy ever after before the end. Thanks, though.

The False Drink (Auspex 1, Vicissitude 5) Combination Discipline - V20 Lore of the Clans pg 242
            Does not undo an active Blood Bond but prevents one from being created, or a Vinculum from being formed by storing the offered vitae in a discrete cavity within the body preventing it from being absorbed. - Oh, Man! You killed me with this. I would love to have this up my sleeve in the future. Have you used this in any of your sessions? How'd it go?

Any questions for me? I'd love to iron things out as much as I can before bringing things into play. I have some other questions that'll be posted later

Comment

"Concordance/Hell-Born Investiture (Daimonion 6) - V20 pg 446, DAV20 pg 210 is another interesting bit given my Malk's demonic ties. But isn't this Baali related? Weren't they all wiped out? How would you find someone who knows this?"

Is in fact something of the Baali. Skip that idea, Baali are bad news. I'd say that normally but your character is already damned so. . . Generally speaking Baali is a bloodline whose existence is essentially up to GM fiat. Moloch was said to have been at Carthage when it was destroyed by the Venture/Malkavian/Toreador coalition and trapped in the Earth (in the arms of Brujah, or Troile or Brujah-Troile if they were the same person). There's an Kindred masquerading as a Aztec god (or inspired the worship of said Aztec god) hiding under Mexico City (the Sabbat showed up and forced him into hiding/torpor) who may be a Baali.

Comment

Chris313AllNight

Diablerie stains remain in the aura for years equal to the difference between the victim's Generation and the diablerist's original Generation, minimum one year even if the diablerist consumed someone of weaker blood.

Abandon the Fetters - She's still bound to him, it targets a specific Blood Bond.

Brother's Gift - Malkavians are driven by their particular madnesses and have a reputation for capriciousness because of it. It could be as simple as a stranger walks up and places their hand on the Malk's forehead and suddenly is filled with clarity gaining the benefits of the discipline, including the shattering of the Blood Bond. The stranger then simply disappears without a word, having Obfuscate as an in clan Discipline is a wonderful thing. It could just as easily be framed as a search for such a Methuselah. How the Malk gets the hint that the elders of his clan can do this is less important than the search for the Methuselah in question. Things such as the Madness Network, thinblooded seers, and more esoteric methods could all come into play to search for a being with near total mastery of Obfuscate.

Rebirth in the Light of Haqim - The description makes it sound that it is intended for newly embraced Assamites. However with the precedents set by merits such as Baali Apostate and Setite Initiate, the idea of a clan bringing an outsider in is not unheard of. I will admit that it is a reading that takes liberties reading into the way its phrased. However I also wanted to include whatever methods I could find to break Blood Bonds even if they might not be applicable to the situation in question.

False Drink - Since its a new power I haven't had the chance to make use of it or have it used in any of my games yet, sorry. That said I am curious to see what sort of devious betrayals and double agent things will rise up should this power come into play.

Concordance/Hell-Born Investiture - Handling this at the bottom since Anarade Relle had also mentioned it. Daimonion is the bloodline Discipline of the Baali. However the Malk in question has made a deal with a demon already. A demon could easily offer tutelage in the Discipline as part of a deal, and since this is an elder power it is a deal that the Malk would be paying on for quite a while yet. Since its a demon teaching it then the Baali and their multiple-choice past never need be touched if the Baali are unwanted.
                • A personal note about Baali their existence is as much up to ST fiat as any other bloodline. Its their origins and past that might require adjudication, but then so would some of the other bloodlines. Its not clear when the Daughters of Cacophony first appeared and whether they are a line of the Toreador or Malkavian, the Samedi are tied to the Cappadocians but the exact nature of how and why they bear their unique weakness are not made known; just as a pair of examples from two of the most Camarilla of the unique bloodlines.

Comment

Working...
                X