Question From A Werewolf ST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question From A Werewolf ST

So, I'm building encounters and NPCs for a new W20 game and I really enjoy using the other splats to their fullest when I can.

So, I've got a question for you folks. I've got a Garou who the Giovanni really want dead. While I intend for the finale of this particular story to end with a confrontation with a Giovanni elder, during the buildup, I'd like to play with some unique encounters building up to it. Are there any Bloodlines who could conceivably be working for a local Giovanni in NYC? I was kind of leaning towards a Daughter of Cacophony....

I don't think that the Giovanni has any kind of formal alliance with other bloodlines, but given the Giovanni has lots of money they can surely buy greedy, or poor, Cainites to work for them. But it will have to be a lot of money, or desperate Cainites, to go up against Werewolves.

Comment

I mean, there's always reasons you could have a Bloodline might be working for a Giovanni, though none of the modern Bloodlines have much reason to long term partner with one.

Is there a reason to use a Bloodline? Most are pretty niche concepts that don't really matter much to Garou. How much are the differences between a socially focused Brujah, a slightly off kilter Toreador, and a Daughter of Cacophony really going to matter to a werewolf?

The Giovanni already offer some stuff that it's usual fare for werewolves, beyond being vampires. The Garou do not have a lot of tools for dealing with ghosts, so Necromancy alone allows a huge amount of options. There's also the non-vampire parts of the Giovanni family, esp. ones that might have some strange powers from their family's dealings (such as being mediums) or are Revanants (which are supposed to be a relatively new phenomenon for the Giovanni, but can manifest in strange ways since they don't always have the same Disciplines as their parent Clan).

Comment

An kindred elder could certainly gather minions of varying clans, or bounty-hunters. Or kindred aiming to add a werewolf pelt to their collection. At the same time they don't actually need to tell the minions who or what they're ambushing. . . That aside, Garou can be pretty strong but they're not impossible to defeat. There'll be plenty of kindred willing to go up against a few. The smarter ones wouldn't but the smarter ones would be sending out minions to do all the direct fighting. . . Of course, with the Blood Bond and Dominate a kindred might not have any real say in the matter. So essentially you can use any bloodline you fancy to have fun with.

Comment

Where there's service people desire someone will always try to game it for riches. A Mercenary Coterie dedicated to killing Garou for the highest bidder isn't out of the question. Yes its relatively crazy for your average Kindred but that doesn't mean there won't be people trying to fill that niche. This also lets you play them as Kindred who have a decent understanding of Werewolf tricks and plan accordingly(silver, spirit wards etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            I mean, there's always reasons you could have a Bloodline might be working for a Giovanni, though none of the modern Bloodlines have much reason to long term partner with one.

Is there a reason to use a Bloodline? Most are pretty niche concepts that don't really matter much to Garou. How much are the differences between a socially focused Brujah, a slightly off kilter Toreador, and a Daughter of Cacophony really going to matter to a werewolf?
            Well, the Daughters have a specific aesthetic I was going for, but you're right, I can probably get it out of a Toreador too.

What I've got in mind is running some encounters with Kindred off and on between story arcs, laying out more of the subplot, before promoting it to the main story with said Elder Giovanni deciding to start using his own supernatural resources to try and take out this pack. (ie THAT'S when he starts pulling out the Necromancy and such)

Comment

I think a fair warning, this idea is extremely prone to "and then the players kill the minor vampire NPC rather than allowing them to be a recurring presence."

Rather that worrying too much about Clans/Bloodlines and all that stuff, the most important thing is considering why the PCs are going to tolerate a vampire regularly interfering in their lives. "This is a powerful enough Elder to protect themselves from assault," is one option of course, as is, "this vampire is part of a coterie/pack of experience werewolf hunters." But both options still lead to derailment towards direction confrontation with obstacles to get there.

But there are more subtle options too. What if this vampire NPC is also someone that works with a local Glasswalker, and that's how the PCs see them? A high enough Humanity avoids Sense Wyrm shenanigans, but this also can help make things like Clan/Bloodline selections easier, because it's less "what's a cool unique thing to put in here," and more, "what makes sense to fulfill that role." The GW connection angle doesn't really blend well with the more unstable groups (like the Malkavians and DoCs), or the overtly monstrous groups (like the Nosferatu or Gargoyles), because the GW isn't going to offer to hook the PCs up with a creature that invites too much investigation into what they are. They're going to want a more stable and predictable supernatural ally that's good at not letting slip what they are.

Comment

The closest the Giovanni has to an outside group they regularly work with are wraiths. Have you considered instead of using a non-Giovanni vampire as the trail of breadcrumbs that leads the pack to the Giovanni using a sharp increase in hauntings?

Also, remember there are Sabbat in NYC, and the Giovanni are pretty good at maneuvering others into attacking the more dangerous foes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                  The closest the Giovanni has to an outside group they regularly work with are wraiths. Have you considered instead of using a non-Giovanni vampire as the trail of breadcrumbs that leads the pack to the Giovanni using a sharp increase in hauntings?

Also, remember there are Sabbat in NYC, and the Giovanni are pretty good at maneuvering others into attacking the more dangerous foes.
                  Honestly, the primary reason I'm going with the Giovanni is due to one of my PC's backstories. The PC went through the First Change as the result of a Vampire attack/feeding. With the rest of the clans, the feeling of the Kiss doesn't cause the kind of pain/fear/Rage that would trigger the change, whereas the Giovanni's bite is agonizing

EDIT-Wait, I see what you're getting at. I misread you.

Yeah, I'm using non-Giovanni as breadcrumbs leading up to this. The idea is running two player sessions with my most reliable player (ie the one who doesn't have kids and isn't an attorney) with the reliable PC and a packmate going Vampire hunting between story arcs, building this as it's own little subplot before getting the whole pack involved at once
                  Last edited by Novagain; 12-29-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X