No announcement yet.

How do: Feeding without getting caught?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do: Feeding without getting caught?

So not every Kindred roaming the streets at night is going to have:
    •Presence
    •Dominate
    •A Herd/Ghoul(s)
    •Natural Charisma for seduction, et al

So for all those Kindred who don't have willing blood dolls, or a way to make a target either forget or not care, how do you feed?

A few ideas for non-social reliant methods of feeding.

Animals - Often they get forgotten in favor of tastier prey with bigger blood pools but they are plentiful, and who is going to question a deer lying by the side of the road? For further fun Animalism can basically act like Dominate/Presence for them, making "hunting" for them a joke.
    • Animals can also supplement other methods of feeding stretching smaller amounts of human hunting.

The Homeless - the forgotten of society especially in the darker than our world WoD. Cops (especially corrupt ones) are not going to put alot of effort into looking for the killer of a penniless bum, assuming they even think its murder and not death from exposure, malnutrition, or illness.

Violence - Especially for combat focused characters. Disciplines like Potence and Celerity make it unlikely a mortal will be able to stand a chance. This is the World of Darkness where death is more common and life is cheap.
    • Mug someone, knock them out, then take some blood. A source of food and money.

Drugs - Can be used by the less socially skilled. Ones that knock someone out are obvious, but enough alcohol can do the job. As an added benefit things like alcohol will make it less likely that whatever the target remembers will be trusted by others or themselves.
    • Highly addictive drugs can be the genesis of a herd. Add in the pleasurable nature of the Kiss and even the most brutish thug can have a herd of mortals just looking to get and give a fix.

The Blood Bond - It might seem counter intuitive at first, since you are giving away some of what you want to take. Vitae creates dependence and even when a mortal has none of it in there system they will still crave it and feel the artificial love it engenders. Even just taking 2 and giving 1 back is still a net gain of 1 BP for the vampire.
    • Similar to drugs, blood bond can be the start of a herd.

Buy It - With enough money you can convince people to do many things.
    • Prostitutes are an obvious source through this method, like a vampire version of delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic01 View Post
      Animals
      Follow up question for this point: How do you deal with the mountains and mountains of dead animals it requires you feed from in order to make up for the fact that animal blood is so weak compared to human blood (Elder powers excluded)? ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Schwann145 View Post
        Follow up question for this point: How do you deal with the mountains and mountains of dead animals it requires you feed from in order to make up for the fact that animal blood is so weak compared to human blood (Elder powers excluded)? ;P
        ​Obviously if you eat rats, then feeding will kill them. On the other hand if you run a farm or business that works with big animals like horses, cows, etc. then you can feed without adversely affecting the animal and just feed in rotation to keep them healthy. Though if you work as a night time exterminator, a mountain of dead vermin means you are good at your job. In some cases what you feed other animals doesn't need to be live prey, so you can drain rodents and feed their corpses to larger animals and then feed on them from time to time.

​Lastly it wasn't expressly mentioned in the list, but just out right asking for blood is also viable. Making a fake blood bank/blood drive is not terribly difficult and humans are very easy to make feel guilty. So just have a ghoul run around getting blood donations. It doesn't take any special disciplines, just a convincing vehicle and uniform.

Comment

Another option that hasn't been mentioned yet is the sleeping. Stealth is a must for this, Obfuscate and Auspex 1 (monitor if they're really sleeping) helps. Many ways to get access to the sleeping. From one night stands, to burglary or sneaking around hospitals.

EDIT: Illegal immigrants is another option. They're very vulnerable, few people listen to them or miss them. And sometimes they can even be bought and sold like slaves.
          Last edited by Malkavian87; 01-09-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Something that should be talked about in a game group is just how aware a victim is of being fed upon. If they didn't notice you before the act of feeding, will they be automatically be aware of you while you slurp them, even if they can't act? Will they remember you?
            Vampire never says it outright, but it sometimes implies that if you for example sneak up on someone from behind and chow down, the victim won't be able to remember the Kiss accurately enough to realize they've been fed upon and will likely just rationalise their sudden weakness with being overworked or reacting badly to the weather (and in certain countries might not even go to get checked out by a doctor due to high medical costs - hey, the US insurance system suddenly makes much more sense when viewed from a vampire perspective!).

Comment

I don't think the kiss equals low level Dominate, no automatic mindwipes. But thanks to its pleasurable quality it should help disguise what the vampire actually did. It doesn't wake the sleeping. And during a make out session a mortal in the throes of passion could easily mistake it for a love bite or intense kiss. Licking it closed afterwards confirms that notion.
              Last edited by Malkavian87; 01-09-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I think the Kiss would make the target more prone to remember you, since it's probably the best thing they've ever experienced.

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

I'd comfortably say that most people like a good neck sucking.
                  What most people object to is getting it from a stranger, out in public, without consent. :P

So I'm not sure "eh, it feels good so it'll be fine" would actually work as a Masquerade cover, lol. That kindred is either tanking their humanity, constantly risking masquerade, or both!

Comment

I've always house ruled that the Kiss produces a low level type of amnesia.

1. It's the only way I can even remotely begin to justify the continued existence of the Masquerade, and
                    2. Less time spent on stocking up on chloroform, breaking into butcher shops/blood banks, or getting rid of bodies leaves us with more time for role playing the encounter itself. I want feeding to be about role play, not jumping through elaborate hoops.

The way we play, the Kiss clouds the victim's memories in a rough period of three to five minutes before and after the Kiss itself. The victim will then usually rationalize what happened based on the setting (except, of course, for when full or partial recollection would be dramatically correct).

A sensual Kiss in a club, late at night? "Damn, where did the cute guy go?, Shit, my head is spinning, I've must have had too much to drink. Did someone spike my drink?"
                    An unexpected and sudden Kiss in a dirty alley? "Uuuh, what happened? Was I mugged?"

Et cetera.

Of course, no Kiss will save a Kindred who blatantly reveals his true nature before the act or otherwise neglects basic tradecraft. Such an act is bound to be remembered.

Comment

As mentioned you don't necessarily have to kill a larger animal. Another thing to note is that rats are small and carrion feeders will make relatively quick work of their bodies, and they are going to be alot easier to hide. Unless you are spending blood for other purposes 4 rats or 2 birds will cover a night's awakening.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic01 View Post

Unless you are spending blood for other purposes 4 rats or 2 birds will cover a night's awakening.
                        It's safe to assume I meant PCs, not NPCs. Between Discipline use, Blood Buffing, Healing, etc. I imagine you'll be worried about more than just replacing the cost of awakening. I can't imagine a PC is gonna wake up, refill, then spend the night playing video games until the sun comes up. That would make for a boring VtM chronicle.

Comment

It's safe to assume I meant PCs, not NPCs. Between Discipline use, Blood Buffing, Healing, etc. I imagine you'll be worried about more than just replacing the cost of awakening. I can't imagine a PC is gonna wake up, refill, then spend the night playing video games until the sun comes up. That would make for a boring VtM chronicle.
                          At the same time not every night is going to be a blood spending extravaganza. There's also the fact that we've been talking about the smallest animals. Deer probably fall somewhere between 4 (Large Horse, Boar) and 6 (Camel) blood points and you can find them with relative ease. As for combat situations to the victor go the spoils and if you are making and disposing of bodies taking some of the blood (if not all of it depending on the method of dead body management) should be part of the deal.

There's also the fact that most animals breed better than humans so with a modicum of care you can have a fairly self sustaining system of feeding where you only have to hunt for flavor or big spending. For added benefit you can ghoul the best of the bunch for either longevity or use depending on the creature. Then if you really want to go crazy you can go full slaughterhouse. Raise cattle and you've got plenty of blood (just take a point from a few here and there). When you need to refill after spending alot then you just have yourself some fine steaks and cuts to sell after you are done feeding.

If you really want to go animal based diet then picking up level 2 Animalism makes Dominate and Presence based feeding look hard. Call out and just have the animals wander to you.
                          Last edited by Cynic01; 01-10-2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I always liked in Buffy how they just bought cow's blood from the local butchers shops that was going to be discarded anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckett View Post
                              I always liked in Buffy how they just bought cow's blood from the local butchers shops that was going to be discarded anyway.

It's a pretty damn sensible method of gaining the good stuff without the risk of final death.

Comment

Working...
                              X