Beckett's Jyhad Diary is (finally) on DTRPG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckett's Jyhad Diary is (finally) on DTRPG

The Diary is finally here. Even though I don't play Masquerade, I'm curious about this one and how much I can steal for Requiem, so I'll be watching comments closely.

Discuss.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

The Diary is heavily in V20 territory, with problems between and within sects, strong focus on Antediluvians, and of course Gehenna happening everywhere all the time. If anyone can figure out how to translate that into VtR, I'd be curious to hear.

As for the diary itself, I will start off by saying that overall I enjoyed it a lot. It gave screen time to pretty much every clan and sect, just about every region of the world, a good amount of attention to bloodlines, and a lot of interesting suggestions and story ideas for what might be going on in the VtM world now. The writing was top-notch, as always. Understanding the VtM metaplot can be important, but it's still just a really fun read.

All that being said, I think Beckett suffers terribly from Worf Syndrome. Every chapter, he's either emotionally/mentally manipulated with optional memory wipe, almost straight up killed, or otherwise dragged around powerlessly. It was okay at the beginning of the book and would have been alright every once in awhile, but when it happened every single chapter, it stopped giving the impression that these Kindred Beckett met were powerful/awe-inspiring/important. It just kinda felt like he must be really weak and incompetent with a maxed out Dumb Luck Discipline. I also wasn't really a fan of how the Antediluvian lore escalated from "really powerful old vampires with epic frenzy when they wake up" to straight up Lovecraftian Elder Gods. That might be personal taste, yes, but the book stretched the suggestions for Antediluvians far beyond what my suspension of disbelief would allow.

Still totally recommend the book for VtM fans - it's pretty much a must-read.

Comment

*sees $90 price tag for premium hardcover color version*

...yeah I think I’ll be fine waiting before I get this one. Money’s tight right now anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
        *sees $90 price tag for premium hardcover color version*

...yeah I think I’ll be fine waiting before I get this one. Money’s tight right now anyways.
        It gets worse when you live in my country,here in brazil 90 bucks is more or less 315 in local currency. plust shipping costs

Comment

Has the actual PDF not been updated yet?

I checked my DRPG library, and still have the backer PDF there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesh View Post
            I also wasn't really a fan of how the Antediluvian lore escalated from "really powerful old vampires with epic frenzy when they wake up" to straight up Lovecraftian Elder Gods. That might be personal taste, yes, but the book stretched the suggestions for Antediluvians far beyond what my suspension of disbelief would allow.
            Agree. :/ Still curious how they'll handle it in V5, since the Gehenna will be straight-up happening, according to what they said.

Still totally recommend the book for VtM fans - it's pretty much a must-read.
            Agree too, can't wait to read the full book!

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
              Has the actual PDF not been updated yet?

I checked my DRPG library, and still have the backer PDF there.
              Nvm, got a response from RichT : apparently the final, errata'd PDF wasn't uploaded properly to DRPG.

So as a heads up, the PDF on DRPG right now is in fact the backer PDF version.

Comment

I don't really like transitions, thresholds, starting new chapters, but I guess this is it, the end. The definitive Vampire the Masquerade book arrived. It feels bittersweet, really... and appropriate.

Back in the late 1990s, when my imagination was first captivated by Gothic Punk tales of conspiracy and rebellion, I still had enough free time and friends with enough free time for weekly tabletop sessions. Also, tabletop, and Vampire, specially, were part of the zeitgeist. We were still under the 1980s shadow, and only now I can realize that.

Now, well, my once raven haired head is starting to go grey, and all my friends got married (I have no wife, but a demanding PhD adviser). The younger ones, people in their 20s, don't care about roleplaying, of course. Fortunately, memory brings some solace. Sometimes I drive home after dark, and the signs of broken glass, pools of rainwater reflecting street lights, graffiti and neon sights, they throw my mind back to the World of Darkness, and then I smile.

It was a hell of a journey, but now I'm starting to accept it's over.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary is much more than a nostalgia trip, of course, but using it as a memento is the way I'm dealing with this whole mess of ending a chapter and starting another. I hope you guys effectively use the book, not just read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Flame View Post

It was a hell of a journey, but now I'm starting to accept it's over.
                  Well, maybe for you!

I'm all for bittersweat nostalgia, but I do not think VtM is there yet. It seemed like when it ended and when V20 came out as an "anniversary nostalgia edition". Now? Thankfully not.

Also, in your immediate vicinity and among your peers, tabletop rpgs might went down, but in general? Look around, the zeitgeist is actually very much rpg-friendly and actually experiencing a hype. Yeah, life happens, people go to work, got married, got kids, all that, but if you want to play, look out and you will definitely find a group. Of course if you feel that it was a chapter of your life that is over and you don't have time and it's not a priority, then let's hope you'll at least get some fond memories!

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

I wrote up a review of the Diary. I enjoyed it, but I thought there were a few minor flaws: http://keepontheheathlands.com/2018/...ecketts-diary/

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

Incidentally, the updated PDF is now up.

Comment

Did they fix the contradictory text in the Dhampir section by chance? Specifically: it seemed to imply that Dhampirs can't become ghouls (even though it says in the same section that they become ghouls if they drink Vampire blood).

Considering that Dhampirs could become ghouls in Revised edition, and there is nothing stopping Revenants from becoming ghouls as of V20, it seems like an incredibly arbitrary and questionable design choice.

Additionally, are Dhampirs still able to soak Aggravated damage (since they "do not suffer Aggravated damage" and treat Agg like Lethal?).

Also, I had heard something about dhampirs being able to become Imbued hunters now? Did this make it into the final draft?

If so it would completely contradict Hunter's setting.

Comment

...are you not able to look at your own book? Or is it that you don't have the book at all and are just going off of the discussion from here?

Originally posted by RebelWithoutAClan View Post
                          Did they fix the contradictory text in the Dhampir section by chance? Specifically: it seemed to imply that Dhampirs can't become ghouls (even though it says in the same section that they become ghouls if they drink Vampire blood).
                          If you mean the rules contradiction, yes that's been resolved.

Dhampir cannot become ghouls.
                          Additionally, are Dhampirs still able to soak Aggravated damage (since they "do not suffer Aggravated damage" and treat Agg like Lethal?).
                          The rules section makes no reference to Aggravated damage, so I assume no.

Also, I had heard something about dhampirs being able to become Imbued hunters now? Did this make it into the final draft?
                          Yes, they can still become Imbued.

If so it would completely contradict Hunter's setting.
                          A prelude to Hunter20?

Which if so, I think that game's setting is going to be heavily revised anyway. Due to its modern day setting is dependent on the End Times of Revised, which wouldn't gel with the metaplot-agnostic WoD20.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesh View Post
                            ...All that being said, I think Beckett suffers terribly from Worf Syndrome. Every chapter, he's either emotionally/mentally manipulated with optional memory wipe, almost straight up killed, or otherwise dragged around powerlessly...
                            As usually the case with Beckett, there's method to the madness, even if it's comes off as rationalization at times. As the book's written in first-person, Beckett reminds the reader(s) many times he deliberately puts himself into situations where he's at a disadvantage, because it's easier to extract information from people who believe they're the interrogators rather than the interrogated, lure people into slipping up when they believe they have the upper hand, or get access to places otherwise inaccessible when drug kicking, screaming, or unconscious. Scholar though he may be, he's still a Gangrel which means he's a tougher motherfucker than most give him credit.

And, one thing of which the book implicitly reminds readers, is Beckett's reputation for bumblefucking around until "accidentally" tripping over the right information in the right people's hands. He sets himself up, by avoiding power plays, to be underestimated by the elders and methuselahs with whom he frequently deals, even if they're consciously aware he's smart and tough as hell.

He pulls the same con as Lambach -- come off as innocuous and tomfoolish enough, and one can get away with a lot. Except, where Lambach does it ostensibly for the sake of survival, Beckett does it for the sake of extracting knowledge from narcissists.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

As usually the case with Beckett, there's method to the madness, even if it's comes off as rationalization at times. As the book's written in first-person, Beckett reminds the reader(s) many times he deliberately puts himself into situations where he's at a disadvantage, because it's easier to extract information from people who believe they're the interrogators rather than the interrogated, lure people into slipping up when they believe they have the upper hand, or get access to places otherwise inaccessible when drug kicking, screaming, or unconscious. Scholar though he may be, he's still a Gangrel which means he's a tougher motherfucker than most give him credit.

And, one thing of which the book implicitly reminds readers, is Beckett's reputation for bumblefucking around until "accidentally" tripping over the right information in the right people's hands. He sets himself up, by avoiding power plays, to be underestimated by the elders and methuselahs with whom he frequently deals, even if they're consciously aware he's smart and tough as hell.

He pulls the same con as Lambach -- come off as innocuous and tomfoolish enough, and one can get away with a lot. Except, where Lambach does it ostensibly for the sake of survival, Beckett does it for the sake of extracting knowledge from narcissists.
                              There is a scene in the book where Beckett meets Lambach. I can't recall if we give Lambach a "we are not so different, you and I..." speech.

Matthew Dawkins
                              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Working...
                              X