Elder Blood Magic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Blood Magic

So, my Storyteller and I were discussing Thaumaturgy and it led to the question of what comes with elder levels (6+ dots) of blood magic. We're using V20, and while I'm aware of the existence of elder Thaumaturgy rituals in older sources as well as a Level 6 ritual in Dread Names: Red List, does anyone have any information? I'll take anything from official sources as well as any homebrew stuff you guys use at your tables! Are higher power rituals it? Do elder powers in paths exist? Is a mastery of blood magic to that degree redundant? Enlighten me!

AFAIK there are no elder powers for Thaumaturgy 6+, the only reason for doing it being for higher level rituals or powers that key off the Thaumaturgy rating. Path Ratings never go above 5. In the 20th lines there are only a few 6+ rituals.
    • Eternal Mask - a level 6 Ritual in V20 Dread Names Red List steal a diablerized victim's aura
    • Call forth the Host/Bind the Interloper - 2 Rituals in V20 Dread Names Red List that have a level 7 and 9 version that affect more powerful demons.
    • Banning Rituals - A number of related Rituals in DAV20 Companion that can prevent powers of a rating 1 less than the ritual level (so a level 6 Ban would prevent level 5 or less effect from crossing the protected area. The categories bannable are Demonic, Fae, Sorcery (Path or Pillar), Gifts (Lupine or Spirit), Arcanoi, Disciplines
    Otherwise there are a number of 6+ Rituals in older sources.
    • Level 6
      • Bone of Contention - Clanbook Tremere Revised
      • Greater Scrying - Lair of the Hidden
      • Quenching the Lambent Flame - Sins of the Blood
      • Raise the Dead - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition
      • Refined Digestion - Blood Magic: Secrets of Thaumaturgy
      • Ritual of Demesne - Midnight Siege
      • Sands of Time - Chicago by Night Second Edition
      • Utter Bonds of Destruction - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition
    • Level 7
      • Bone of Eternal Thirst - Blood Magic: Secrets of Thaumaturgy
      • Divorcing the Soul - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition
      • Eyes of the Ever Vigilant - Blood Magic: Secrets of Thaumaturgy
      • Impede the Gifts of Caine - Archons & Templars
      • Platonic Split - Lair of the Hidden
      • Ritual of the Severed Hand - Archons & Templars
      • Whip of the Erinyes - Lair of the Hidden
    • Level 8
      • Blade of the Forbidden Flower - Blood Magic: Secrets of Thaumaturgy
      • Chain the Bloodline - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition
      • The Name Forgotten - Transylvania Chronicles III: Ill Omens
      • Soul Disjunction - Lair of the Hidden
    • Level 9
      • Weapon of the Kindred Soul - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition
    • Level 10
      • Invulnerable Weakness - Vampire Players Guide Second Edition

Comment

Menele blew up Mt. Vesuvius with Thaumaturgy 7

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
        Menele blew up Mt. Vesuvius with Thaumaturgy 7
        Has Thaumaturgy 7 and Lure of Flames 3... I always find stuff like that so weird.

Augustus Giovanni himself seems to have less Necromantic skill (in terms of Paths) than many PCs.

Comment

Aren't Augustus' printed stats from the first half of the 15th century, when Giovanni Necromancy as a vampiric discipline was still in its early development?

My assumption is that Menele used a level 7 summoning ritual to call up an elemental, demon, etc. which set off Vesuvius, possibly taking a very liberal interpretation of what he actually ordered it to do. I don't think he could just wave his hands and make a volcano explode.

Comment

I don't have any books with me, but about Menele blowing up Pompeii, I seem to recall it saying something like he summoned a powerful "spirit of fire" that caused the volcano to erupt. So it being a level 7 ritual sounds about right to me. So he "somewhat indirectly" destroyed Pompeii.

Comment

Working...
            X