Running a game in Roman Britain 410 AD and need help PART 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a game in Roman Britain 410 AD and need help PART 2

To all those whose comments in the last post proved helpful to me, thank you very much, especially Khanwulf, who’s efforts have been most informative.

I just got this game off the ground and got it off to a great start.

It is set it in Londinium and will be for the indefinite future (though an eventual move to Byzantium may be in the cards).

The coterie is playing a mix of clans. A Ventrue, a Brujah, a Lasombra and an Assamite. It should be interesting what with rivalry between Brujah and Ventrue. The Assamites of this era are not Muslim and in a divergence from cannon are religiously tolerant and culturally diverse, the warriors will not be taking over the clan until after the rise of Islam. I am depicting the Assamites as a moderately powerful clan in Eastern Rome.

With the exit of the legion in 409, many of the Britannian elders returned to Rome (the city) in order to shore up the empire before gathering resources and returning to their lands and domains in Britannia. They have all died in the sack of Rome that took place in 410, including (possibly) Mithras. These elders will not be returning and their Childers are starting to catch on to that.

The prevailing attitude however is that the Western Empire will not fall and that this is not the beginning of the end for Rome.

The game focuses on the neonates and ancilla left behind in Londinium and other regions and will focused on the politics of the Vampiric court and the larger political situation currently at work.

What I could use a hand with is this. What was the social structure of vampire society like in Rome?

Part of me wants to depict a Camarilla like structure complete with boons and a social hierarchy that will be echoed again in ages to come (the modern Camarilla).

I like this idea but have also thought about using the system used by Michael the Toreador in Constantinople by Night.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It’s important because the echoes of this Vampiric society will live on in Londinium for decades to come.

Please feel free to give any suggestions you may have regardless of the topic.
    Last edited by Zennis; 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM.

Originally posted by Zennis View Post
    Running a game in Roman Britain 410 AD​

The Assamites of this era are not Muslim

You don't say?

Sorry, that was snarky of me.

There was material in the Dark Ages line that has vampire society in Ancient Rome identical to modern vampire society. There was a Prince (this guy) and he had a council of primogen and stop me if you've heard this before.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Yeah. Play up the fact that this is an ancient society that did things differently. What if there was a real form of republican democracy like in the real world Rome before the Imperial period. Two counsels that have veto power over each other elected for a limited period of time, advised by a comittee of advisors but also a tribal assembly where all the residents of the city can propose laws and legislation through direct bloc voting.

Hell, you can pad the deck and make this system of government indescribably above-board, transparent, virtuous, and just. Then in about 600 years when the Normans invade and with them comes a more traditional Prince & Primogen system, with corruption and stagnation (and I'm not saying that the real life Roman Republic was free of corruption), there is a sense that a golden age has passed and something wonderful has been lost.

I seem to have acquired a site for running play by post games. This is unexpected and frightening and come watch either the glorious play or the magnificent train wreck:

The Malkavian Madness Network

Comment

Most of the info on British Cainite society of that era you'll find in Dark Ages Europe. It has an entire chapter on Britain, a lot of it being historical info. As for Rome, I certainly remember there being a lot of stuff in the history section of Revised Clanbook Ventrue. Probably a lot in the Libellus Sanguinus books too. And it does indeed seem that Cainite society has been more or less the same for thousands of years. There won't be a big differences between Dark Ages and Roman Age.

in a divergence from cannon are religiously tolerant and culturally diverse
      I actually think that is canon for the pre-Islamic Assamites. Even after that they were a lot more diverse that sometimes believed.

Comment

I've made a society por the vampires in the Roman Age similar to the families system of Constantinople by Night: There was a division between Optimates (Lasombra, Malkavian and Ventrue), Populares (Cappadocian, Gangrel and Toreador) and the rest of clan were Peregrini (only admited in society by the will of the Optimates). But this system was valid in Rome and there was some changes in the provinces.

In a city as Londinium Mithras would be the Princeps Optimate, perhaps with the presence of other clans in the power (in appearance, Mithras is a Methuselah and a power in his own). I think in a representative Malkavian and another Lasombra.

Perhaps the opposition were the vampires between the saxons and native britons (Gangrel and Lhiannan would be the most numerous).

Comment

Originally posted by Malkavian87 View Post
          I actually think that is canon for the pre-Islamic Assamites. Even after that they were a lot more diverse that sometimes believed.
          Yes. It's mainly the warrior caste that seems to have been fixated on that sort of thing. In post-Roman Britain, you may find Assamite Mitras cultists who have similar ideas, but the scholar and sorcerer types are likely to not care. (In all honesty, if I was writing the original Vampire: The Dark Ages clan write ups back in 1996, I'd have had the Haquimite clan of Dark Medieval Europe presented as primarily being introverted scholars, philosophers and political advisors who seem more common in Southern Europe, especially in the various Italian and Reconquesta states, the Occitanian areas of France, the Eastern Roman Empire, especially Greece, and frequently among the Jews, with no one really associating them with some sort of vaguely understood Saracen boogiemen.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Assamites of this era are not Muslim and in a divergence from cannon are religiously tolerant and culturally diverse, the warriors will not be taking over the clan until after the rise of Islam. I am depicting the Assamites as a moderately powerful clan in Eastern Rome.
            But...

Originally posted by Transylvania Chronicles IV: The Dragon Ascendant
            Before his Embrace, Fariq had been a humane and religious man. In the fourth century B.C., he was almost stoned to death by irate Christians for observing unholy rituals.
            If the Christians were trying to stone people to death in the World of Darkness in the fourth century B.C., there is every chance that you might see Muslims in the fourth century A.D....

Comment

I'd say that the BC of that sentence is a typo. Christians did stone people for real, but in the fourth century A.C, non B.C, so probably it's just that, a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                I'd say that the BC of that sentence is a typo. Christians did stone people for real, but in the fourth century A.C, non B.C, so probably it's just that, a typo.
                Or the year was right but they typed in 'Christians' instead of 'Jews.'

I seem to have acquired a site for running play by post games. This is unexpected and frightening and come watch either the glorious play or the magnificent train wreck:

The Malkavian Madness Network

Comment

Yeah, that would also make sense, Dagon, the god worshipped by Fariq, was a Phoenician god, and was revered also by the Philistines, and they fought against the israelites of old so it would fit either.
                  Last edited by Undead rabbit; 02-10-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X