Useless merits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useless merits?

Healing touch for 1pt let's you touch bite wounds to close them. How is this any good?

It's not. oWoD is full of garbage merits. Demon the Fallen is the worst offender with merits that let you have a truck driving license or three point merit that gives you a loving family. A loving family that explicitly will not help you in any way unless you buy them as allies. Three goddamn points.

Comment

Its good if you are a Giovanni, Lamia, or other Cainites whose bite is painful or hazardous, but also for more ethical Kindred, or even those who want to transcend or evolve the Curse of Caine.

Comment

I mean, yeah, the Merits are all over the place in terms of usefulness and value. Though there's plenty of context there. What's a valuable Merit to an Imbued Hunter is not what's valuable to a vampire.

As for Healing Touch? I've always interpreted it as not only that you can close feeding wounds with touch instead of licking, but you can do it for other vampires as well (since licking only works on a vampire's direct victim). This makes any vampire with Healing Touch valued for keeping the Masquerade when a neonate or purposeful saboteur leaves a vessel's wounds visible in regular feeding ground, that vampire can just "take a look at the wound," and poof it away.

It's not potent enough to be worth more than 1 dot, bit it's a neat trick that other vampires would value.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckett View Post
          Its good if you are a Giovanni, Lamia, or other Cainites whose bite is painful or hazardous, but also for more ethical Kindred, or even those who want to transcend or evolve the Curse of Caine.
          Giovanni's bite is painful, but they still have full effects of the Kiss and the ability to seal wounds. Same goes for Lamia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
            It's not. oWoD is full of garbage merits. Demon the Fallen is the worst offender with merits that let you have a truck driving license or three point merit that gives you a loving family. A loving family that explicitly will not help you in any way unless you buy them as allies. Three goddamn points.

Considering a Loving Family is probably a well of Torment protection, I could see it being worth 3 points. Now they mechanically didn't back it up. But the idea isn't "you get the bat family" its your morality stat is better handled. It would be like something that makes Path checks easier or Banality acrew harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
              Considering a Loving Family is probably a well of Torment protection, I could see it being worth 3 points. Now they mechanically didn't back it up. But the idea isn't "you get the bat family" its your morality stat is better handled. It would be like something that makes Path checks easier or Banality acrew harder.
              Yes, but it doesn't make Path checks easier or Torment checks easier or anything checks easier. As written the merit does absolutely nothing. If me and my ST didn't know about the existence of this merit and I wrote in my character bio "and has a tight bond with his family" - it'd be the exact same effect. Except the merit exists so now I implicitly can't have a loving family unless I fork out points for it. Like how having a trucker license is a merit in Demon and not just a function of character's backstory. Like how in Mage you need to specifically buy doctor license as a Background instead of just putting dots into Medicine and saying "My character is a doctor". Background taxes suck, and background taxes that have no mechanical effect suck even more.

Comment

Demon, for whatever reason, copied a ton of Merits and Flaws from Hunter. They are valuable things in Hunter, because they're things to protect or lose in Hunter. Hunters have a lot of trouble holding on to their families, or professional certifications, so having those as Backgrounds or Merits lets them come and go, even while things like Drive or Medicine don't go away.

I can see some of why Demon's list is closer to Hunter than Vampire. Demon's have a lot of trouble coping with the world (at least at first) and balancing any attempt to maintain their body's life. Doesn't mean any specific Merit is good/bad/poorly costed, etc.

Certification in Mage is a bit of a different sticking point because not only is it excessive, the vast majority of certifications should be rolled into other Backgrounds. It isn't for weird certs that aren't things your character would obviously have from their profession/status/etc. As written they require someone that's got Resources and Status to represent being a public school teacher also has to take Certification for their teaching certification... while a private school teacher doesn't (sorry for the US centric example, I know not every country does this). There's no reason a public school teacher should have a Background requirement higher than a private school teacher... it's just not important enough for such a small detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                  Yes, but it doesn't make Path checks easier or Torment checks easier or anything checks easier. As written the merit does absolutely nothing. If me and my ST didn't know about the existence of this merit and I wrote in my character bio "and has a tight bond with his family" - it'd be the exact same effect. Except the merit exists so now I implicitly can't have a loving family unless I fork out points for it
                  The current mechanics of Loving Family does suck. I agree with that. I am saying a particularly loving family giving benefits for Torrment would be something worth 3 point but like many things Demon could use a second edition.

Comment

Dunno where it is but there is a merit that costs 1 point and it gives you a shaky connection with another vampire that functions as a worse 1 dot ally.

Why not just out a dot in ally? It's not like a 1 point merit costs more than 1 point in a background.

Comment

I'm gonna run with Heavyarms interpretation. Make that person with that merit be a masquerade fixer.

Idk about a 1 pt ally merit but they revised it and have Old Pal which is a super trustworthy ally that can't betray you for XYZ reason. They removed supernatural ally so no more werewolf buddies unless you house rule it in. Which 95% people might.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                        As written they require someone that's got Resources and Status to represent being a public school teacher also has to take Certification for their teaching certification... while a private school teacher doesn't (sorry for the US centric example, I know not every country does this). There's no reason a public school teacher should have a Background requirement higher than a private school teacher... it's just not important enough for such a small detail.
                        Asside from the fact that quite afew private schools IRL are pretty much shit factories with highly unqualified teachers. Mind you there are better ways to cover that than the certification background.

Comment

Without getting into the messy details of the US education system, I think the point is well enough made that as far as details important to have within the granularity of the existing systems that Certification as written is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                            Without getting into the messy details of the US education system, I think the point is well enough made that as far as details important to have within the granularity of the existing systems that Certification as written is a problem.
                            Its a pretty useless background that i ignore, I also prefer Lingustics do the doubling thing because even 16 languages is still under powered compared to Resources 5, Avatar 5, Node 5, Allies 5, Contacts 5 etc.

Comment

Yeah. The languages change is not popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X