Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambush Free Attack

Originally posted by V20 Core Book p.274
    If the attacker scores more successes, she can stage one free attack on the target
    I had a situation where a player succeeded an ambush roll and declared stabbing the target 3 times by splitting his dice pool.

Part of my players claim you can't split the dice pool for that free attack you get upon succeeding the ambush roll. I don't see why splitting dice pool for that attack wouldn't be possible. Opinions?

The way it's worded it implies a single attack. Not a single action; a single attack.

I seem to have acquired a site for running play by post games. This is unexpected and frightening and come watch either the glorious play or the magnificent train wreck:

The Malkavian Madness Network

Comment

I second Ben on this one (though the concept of "swift shanking" is at least partially credible -- the multiple rapid stabbings in the stereotypical prison situation when one gets the drop on another... so there is *some* contextual validity to the idea... but in general, barring specific circumstances, it should be one attack and not a full action (which would allow for multi-attack dice-splitting...).

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

The wording is clear

"one free attack on the target"

Otherwise the advantage is way too high for Ambushes, Think what Obfuscate can do to assist with that already.

Comment

So what are you doing with obfuscate and celerity combos?

In a surprise round the victim has no action. So first attack gains stealth bonuses. And celerity actions come after that normally. But they're uncontested.

Comment

Celerity?
            It's not a free round, it's a free attack. Previous editions have given surprise rounds, so splitting is fine in a round.
            Usual rounds apply after that.

Otherwise if you could use Celerity to get multiple attacks each time you can make an attack; it would cascade until blood expenditure caps were hit.
            If you follow me.

Comment

Working...
            X