Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark ages Constantinople gladator fights

Hi all

My players have arrived in Constantinople and a few of the more martial ones would like to test their mettle in the Hippodrome at night where gladiator fights are being held.

Other than the usual fights vs some ghouls, having one of their ghouls fight another etc I am looking for some interesting ideas to challenge them.

Have you run anything like this or do you have an interesting fight.

I was thinking of making a Salubri warrior as a champion but all other things are welcome!

Originally posted by Searchonomicon View Post
    Hi all

My players have arrived in Constantinople and a few of the more martial ones would like to test their mettle in the Hippodrome at night where gladiator fights are being held.

Other than the usual fights vs some ghouls, having one of their ghouls fight another etc I am looking for some interesting ideas to challenge them.

Have you run anything like this or do you have an interesting fight.

I was thinking of making a Salubri warrior as a champion but all other things are welcome!

just a quick note. i don't think that gladiator fights happened in constantinople. (christian morality and stuff)

Comment

Animals are always a classic. Fighting against a group can be challenging even for a hardcore vampire fighter. Have a Tzimisce on staff to (consentually) fleshcraft the gladiators into combat forms and back.

Really, the biggest hurdle for vampire gladiators is the audience. Continued heckling and provocations can easily cause frenzy even in the calmest vampire.

For a gladiatorial champion combat skill is not the most important factor - showmanship is. Think about modern US wrestling, and pull all your ideas from there. I'd probably say that Ravnos are best equipped for entertaining combats. Salubri warriors win all 1v1 fights due to inescapable burning touch death grapples, but that makes them boring fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post

just a quick note. i don't think that gladiator fights happened in constantinople. (christian morality and stuff)
        Gladiator fights happened in Constantinople. Christians didn't really mind gladiators - some early Popes even hired gladiators as bodyguards. However, in 4th century Constantine banned training of criminals as gladiators, and in the 5th century Honorius banned gladiator fights altogether. And that happened because Christians hated fun and were engaged in a campaign to ban all public entertainment other than church services - theaters were absolutely not kosher by the christian standards.

Okay, that's not really true. What got Christians' panties in a bunch was that gladiatorial combat and chariot races were usually dedicated to various gods. Gladiatorial combat got banned completely, while chariot racing was the sport of nobility and thus simply shed its religious trappings and continued business as usual.

Comment

True, and the gladiator fights are mentioned in constantinople by night.
          It's just for various supernatural patrons from the families.
          Hence the audience is also mostly vampiric in nature and some liberties are allowed

I could just toss stuff at them to roll dice but that is boring, One of the players is a showman duelist gangrel with a sadictic streak. It's to give him a chance to shine in this environment.

I like the constant heckling and frenzy checks though.

Comment

I'd go hardcore on wrestling. Have the most bizarre campiest storylines for the competitors, build up a rivalry with the champion, play up kayfabe at the Elysium.

Comment

Who are the intended audience, because "Crazy no holds barred any supernatural comes" Gladiatorial tournament is something I'd imagine some jaded elder could setup. Have your players fight gryphons! a Dragon! a pack of werewolves.. an akashic brother.

Comment

The intended audience is mostly the members of the scion families and the 3 main families
                Ages are anywhere from neonate to elder.
                I just want to keep it, somewhat exotic with an unusual challenge but not go over the top and make it D&D the masquerade

Comment

Working...
                X