Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V5 Setting Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • V5 Setting Changes

    Is there any document that summarizes the setting changes in broad strokes for V5? I found this (http://www.musoapbox.net/topic/1604/...ition-info/160) but I'm not sure how valid it is.

  • #2
    Not really? Most things are skimmed from the V5 playtests, and various talks and interviews from the WW team; some of which is old enough that it could have easily change between then and when the book comes out. Most of what I saw is stuff that I've seen from WW official sources, though not always phrased the same way which can effect implications.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Archivist View Post
      Is there any document that summarizes the setting changes in broad strokes for V5? I found this (http://www.musoapbox.net/topic/1604/...ition-info/160) but I'm not sure how valid it is.

      All of that is quoted from sources up to the Alpha release, but doesn't touch on the changes in the alpha itself. I don't know of anything that has been said since then, as I haven't seen any WW interviews or released since then.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have heard it is suppossed to be inspired by or loosely based on Vampire the Masquerade...

        Comment


        • #5
          The most obvious choice would be Beckett's Jyhad Diary, up to this point. "White Wolf Wikia" lists a bunch of conclusions, if you don't have the book.

          Comment


          • #6
            Someone mentioned to me that maybe the 2nd Generation are roused and active?


            It is a time for great deeds!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheVarulfen View Post
              The most obvious choice would be Beckett's Jyhad Diary, up to this point. "White Wolf Wikia" lists a bunch of conclusions, if you don't have the book.

              Right, but BJD is more of a 'jumping off point'. It addresses things that are leading up (like details why the Gehenna Crusade is happening and what it is in a bit more depth, and talks about some things regarding Antediluvians and Cyclical Gehenna and the Second Generation and plenty of other things leading in) to the 5th Edition setting, but doesn't directly address the things that have already been stated to have changed or are going on, like the Second Inquisition and such things. It's still an excellent read though, no matter what.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                Someone mentioned to me that maybe the 2nd Generation are roused and active?

                If V5 follow BJD, it might really well

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nyremne View Post


                  If V5 follow BJD, it might really well
                  At least one of them. It probably explains why the Sabbat are converging on the Middle East.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll make a couple of three guesses based on BJD and the epilogue of the alpha:

                    - There's a Ventrue prince in Chicago again.
                    - The Tremere have suffered something mega (no Tremere primogen in Chicago and reference to activities in Vienna). Maybe connected to Carna?
                    - The Setites have a heavier presence in the Camarilla than before (Setite on the Chicago primogen council in place of the Tremere).
                    - We'll see more independent domains like Washington DC.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Stannis View Post

                      At least one of them. It probably explains why the Sabbat are converging on the Middle East.
                      There was an interview with Jason and Martin there: http://crazybitchmagazine.com/issues/ in issue 7. Jason hinted some stuff about the Sabbat taking the first and biggest hit from the second inqusition, because the Camarilla thought they could use the mortal agencies against them.

                      Well, I think that is highly unlikely of the Cam, since the whole sect's reason of existence is not doing that again. However, BJD gave a much more likely explanation in the last chapter, although I have mixed feelings about the whole bloodline covenant or whatever. It's a bit too resembling the Disparate Alliance in M20, in the sense of the "misfits, outcasts and freaks banding togehter in one big happy family, because of reasons", which is a bit of a reaction to current political trends, IMO, especially in the US. I'm not saying it couldn't be good, it depends on writing, but the narrative pictured in the Omega chapter was a bit too idealistic, all the repressed minorities coming together to take what they feel should be their share of the pie and totally playing nicely with each other... It could be just propaganda, tough.

                      Back to the Sabbat: taking all the stuff we know so far, I have a bit of a fear they're really planning to go for the extreme and purging the Sabbat wholly from the Americas (there are the Drowned Legacies thing too) and maybe even Europe and making essentially the Gehenna crusaders as the only remaining Sabbat. I'm... not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I feel it'd take away/change too dramatically a too big and important part of the setting, just because it isn't in-line with their plans. And I'm not even a Sabbat fan, as a player.

                      I'd be much happier with the Sabbat losing ground on every sides and yes, a lot of them parting to the Middle East, while the remaining Western Sabbat struggling to come back and reorganize. Maybe they'd operate more like terrorist cells and boogeymen again, than waging open war, while holding tight to their remaining domains and going more underground. That would give a picture more akin to the 1st ed, but won't write off the map one of the main groups of the game.


                      If nothing worked, then let's think!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Stannis View Post
                        I'll make a couple of three guesses based on BJD and the epilogue of the alpha:

                        - The Tremere have suffered something mega (no Tremere primogen in Chicago and reference to activities in Vienna). Maybe connected to Carna?
                        - The Setites have a heavier presence in the Camarilla than before (Setite on the Chicago primogen council in place of the Tremere).
                        I'm not sure there will even be Tremere in the sense we were accustomed to, if Saulot really took over completely and the Tremere are leaving the Camarilla.

                        - We'll see more independent domains like Washington DC.
                        I think that's very likely, with all the hints the setting going "dark" as in, more like it was in the Dark Ages and 1e. I just hope they won't go to the other end of the scale with this and making the setting more like VtR. Communication being much harder and the big sects more disorganized? Okay, I could play with that. Totally independent domains with basically no communication on the sectarian level? Ugh, no, thanks, that would feel too unlike VtM.



                        If nothing worked, then let's think!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PMárk View Post
                          I think that's very likely, with all the hints the setting going "dark" as in, more like it was in the Dark Ages and 1e. I just hope they won't go to the other end of the scale with this and making the setting more like VtR. Communication being much harder and the big sects more disorganized? Okay, I could play with that. Totally independent domains with basically no communication on the sectarian level? Ugh, no, thanks, that would feel too unlike VtM.
                          In BJD, that's not how it read to me.

                          To me, it was more of a "Camarilla and Sabbat can go fuck themselves, we're out...so now you gotta follow *MY* rules or you take a dive out into the morning sun". Which leads to me believe that no, it's not so much cutting off all communication, but more just ignoring them completely and actively fighting back against any Cam or Sabbat lead incursions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

                            In BJD, that's not how it read to me.

                            To me, it was more of a "Camarilla and Sabbat can go fuck themselves, we're out...so now you gotta follow *MY* rules or you take a dive out into the morning sun". Which leads to me believe that no, it's not so much cutting off all communication, but more just ignoring them completely and actively fighting back against any Cam or Sabbat lead incursions.
                            Yeah, I think that will be the case in many places, like DC. I don't have problems with that, it's totally justifiable, given the right context.

                            I even think that Anarchs taking the lead in many places and the Cam becoming more insular is an interesting concept, with much potential.

                            I just wanted to say that, at this point we don't know how far they want to go with that, how much they want to downplay the sectarian-level stuff, in favor of the local. I'm okay with the general idea, but there's defintiely a point, where it becomes too much, because the sects are a major part of VtM.


                            If nothing worked, then let's think!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PMárk View Post

                              Yeah, I think that will be the case in many places, like DC. I don't have problems with that, it's totally justifiable, given the right context.

                              I even think that Anarchs taking the lead in many places and the Cam becoming more insular is an interesting concept, with much potential.

                              I just wanted to say that, at this point we don't know how far they want to go with that, how much they want to downplay the sectarian-level stuff, in favor of the local. I'm okay with the general idea, but there's defintiely a point, where it becomes too much, because the sects are a major part of VtM.

                              Exactly. Independent non-Camarilla domains aren't a new phenomenon in Masquerade. And even if the Camarilla goes full 'old world' route of written letters delivered by carriers and such, and eschewing technology for sensitive informaiton? That's a setting development I can live with, and it'll add a bit of the archaic vs. the modern, which I think is fine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X