V5 Setting Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elmerg View Post

Exactly. Independent non-Camarilla domains aren't a new phenomenon in Masquerade. And even if the Camarilla goes full 'old world' route of written letters delivered by carriers and such, and eschewing technology for sensitive informaiton? That's a setting development I can live with, and it'll add a bit of the archaic vs. the modern, which I think is fine.
    Agree. It really has potential to be cool.

Really, it is like that with most of the V5 setting changes: they could be very cool and make the setting fresh, but taken too far hey could also make the setting into a thing not resembling the old one, except in names. Most of it will depend on presentation, the story behind it and how extreme will it go, at the end, I think.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Sabbat as small roaming packs is really the best possible Sabbat, with hopefully Montreal and maybe Mexico City as remaining bastions for Sabbat philosophy. It just fits them better.

I always like to think of the Jyhad as a giant chess game, and the Sabbat as aiming to simply flip the board. Roaming hoards of monsters does that much better, and the current form of the Sabbat is simply a sign of how controlled they have become by the Secret Masters.

And Sabbat campaigns work really well on the attacking side and not in the defense haha.

So I'm tentatively excited for how they'll play the Sabbat. But I can't imagine the game without them as a major force

Comment

Originally posted by Shushu View Post
        Sabbat as small roaming packs is really the best possible Sabbat, with hopefully Montreal and maybe Mexico City as remaining bastions for Sabbat philosophy. It just fits them better.

I always like to think of the Jyhad as a giant chess game, and the Sabbat as aiming to simply flip the board. Roaming hoards of monsters does that much better, and the current form of the Sabbat is simply a sign of how controlled they have become by the Secret Masters.

And Sabbat campaigns work really well on the attacking side and not in the defense haha.

So I'm tentatively excited for how they'll play the Sabbat. But I can't imagine the game without them as a major force
        Agree. I'd like that concept very much. Back to monstrous, chaos-inducing packs, nibbling at the Camarilla and Anarch domains, instead of an unified war machine.

I can't really imagine VtM as VtM without the sabbat being present as a mayor player, in some form and not just as crusaders on the Middle-East either.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post
          Totally independent domains with basically no communication on the sectarian level? Ugh, no, thanks, that would feel too unlike VtM.
          The suspicion I have is that they intend to try to blend WoD and CoD ultimately into one thing with the "One World of Darkness" idea.

My initial hope was an attempt to help streamline the possibilities for crossover and mechanical possibilities between gamelines within the WoD. But I doubt more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckett View Post

The suspicion I have is that they intend to try to blend WoD and CoD ultimately into one thing with the "One World of Darkness" idea.

My initial hope was an attempt to help streamline the possibilities for crossover and mechanical possibilities between gamelines within the WoD. But I doubt more and more.

No, that's not what we're doing.

Matthew Dawkins
            In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

@PMárk
              I would be fine with the Sabbat falling back into 'scary unknowable antagonist' angles personally, but if they go forth with some of the potential Sabbat schisming that seems inevitable from the BJD writeup, I'd be okay with that. And the concepts of roving packs is probably more sound in conceptuals for V5 anyway, especially since BJD made it pretty clear it's not ALL Sabbat heading to the Middle East to have the Gehenna Crusade.

Beckett
              From the original 'One World of Darkness' blurb, it seemed more like they were trying to establish, in a more decisive and direct manner, that 'all the CWoD splats existed in the same world' through a more streamlined setting that was more self-referential. But that may have changed in the interim. I'll leave it to The Gentleman Gamer to talk more about that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

No, that's not what we're doing.
                That is good to hear, indeed.

Though I'd agree, more crossover support is highly desirable. The possibility of that was what made me excited about the One WoD idea too.
                Last edited by PMárk; 03-26-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post
                  @PMárk
                  I would be fine with the Sabbat falling back into 'scary unknowable antagonist' angles personally, but if they go forth with some of the potential Sabbat schisming that seems inevitable from the BJD writeup, I'd be okay with that. And the concepts of roving packs is probably more sound in conceptuals for V5 anyway, especially since BJD made it pretty clear it's not ALL Sabbat heading to the Middle East to have the Gehenna Crusade.
                  Yep, but we don't know how much of the Sabbat has fallen to the torches of the Second Inq. Jason said some words about it in the magazine I linked above and BJD also made some hints in the last chapter.

Anyway, I agree, really. A weakened (and it's totally believable that they took the first and biggest hit and not even just from the Inq.), disorganized, roaming-packs Sabbat, which is still dangerous and also has some remaining strongholds (but went more underground even in those) is a lot more interesting than the Sabbat as "just" the Gehenna crusaders and also pretty close to how the sect was initially, which would be in-line with V5's whole "back to the roots" approach.

I could imagine at least three factions of the Sabbat now:

1. The crusaders, having fun in the desert, maybe making recruiting overtures into Cam and Anarch (and moderate Sabbat) domains, causing more chaos.2

2. The roaming nomadic packs, not beholden to anyone, but not wanting to go to the Middle-East (or coming back from it)

3. The moderate Sabbat, clinging to the remaining cities and desperately wanting to re-organize the sect. Maybe led by Lucita and her little sister. They could even have a good recruiting line for disenfranchised Cam kindred and Anarchs "look the Cam abandoned you again in the direst times and the Anarchs are just incompetent fools!".

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

Yep, but we don't know how much of the Sabbat has fallen to the torches of the Second Inq. Jason said some words about it in the magazine I linked above and BJD also made some hints in the last chapter.

Anyway, I agree, really. A weakened (and it's totally believable that they took the first and biggest hit and not even just from the Inq.), disorganized, roaming-packs Sabbat, which is still dangerous and also has some remaining strongholds (but went more underground even in those) is a lot more interesting than the Sabbat as "just" the Gehenna crusaders and also pretty close to how the sect was initially, which would be in-line with V5's whole "back to the roots" approach.

I could imagine at least three factions of the Sabbat now:

1. The crusaders, having fun in the desert, maybe making recruiting overtures into Cam and Anarch (and moderate Sabbat) domains, causing more chaos.2

2. The roaming nomadic packs, not beholden to anyone, but not wanting to go to the Middle-East (or coming back from it)

3. The moderate Sabbat, clinging to the remaining cities and desperately wanting to re-organize the sect. Maybe led by Lucita and her little sister. They could even have a good recruiting line for disenfranchised Cam kindred and Anarchs "look the Cam abandoned you again in the direst times and the Anarchs are just incompetent fools!".

All of that sounds pretty much perfect to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Beckett View Post
                      I have heard it is suppossed to be inspired by or loosely based on Vampire the Masquerade...
                      Oh buuuuuuuurn

Comment

Working...
                      X