How to learn new rituals.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to learn new rituals.

Hello folks, i need a bit of insight there.
    I'm working with V20 anniversary. I don't have Rite of Blood or Tremere clanbook.

THe thing is, in the core rulebook, it is said that rituals does not cost any Exp point but "learning time" between weeks for the simplest ones to years for the most potent of them.
    THe question i have is : How do you manage that fellow ST ? What is your general rule when a tremeere PC ask for a new ritual ?

Because in my current chronicle, there is downtime that can stretch to weeks, i have created a simple chart for my player to "spend" the required tim to learn Rituals, giving him reduced efficeincy if he want to do something else (like hunting) during this downtime). THe chart is the following : Lv 1 :80 hours10 days/ 8hours of
    Lv 2 :240hours1 months 8h/d
    Lv 3 : 960Hours4 months 8h/d
    Lv 4 :1920hours8months 8h/d
    Lv 5 : 2880hours1 year 8h/d

As you can see, i built it in a fashion that a "night" of full studying is 8 hours.
    Does those numbers seems good for you ??
    The campaign i'm running is likely to hold for at least a year IRL so i want this right at the beginning for my players to be able to use it through the whole campaign.

Do it at a speed that makes things fun for the players. Many, in fact most games don't span years and generations. Having rituals be "you can't ever learn that" is unfun for Tremere, so don't do that. OTOH having a time skip chronicle where there are hundreds of years between adventures will quickly make a Tremere loaded on "rituals: all", and that can make things unfun for non-Tremere, so don't do that either.

Comment

I think this is a pretty solid system. Think im gonna steal it myself for future games.
      One thing i'd note though is that you should leave room for an hour or two each night so that the character can hunt and help around the chantry. 8hrs per night is pretty much all the awake time anyone not living by the equator will get.

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

I personally adopted the DA20 system for my game: With each dot in Thaumaturgy you get an additional ritual for free. After that any other ritual costs Level x 2 XP, and I usually require some sort of RP explanation where they learned it, but for low level stuff "I look it up in the chantry library" is totally fine.

Comment

Spending XP puts some balance into the rituals. Some high level rituals are easily work 1 dot disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
            Do it at a speed that makes things fun for the players. Many, in fact most games don't span years and generations. Having rituals be "you can't ever learn that" is unfun for Tremere, so don't do that. OTOH having a time skip chronicle where there are hundreds of years between adventures will quickly make a Tremere loaded on "rituals: all", and that can make things unfun for non-Tremere, so don't do that either.
            Feel free to take this system if you like it
            Btw, my PC can of course only study 1 hours per night, just that for my balance/calculation/scale i considered taht level 1 ritual is equal to 10 days of full study, considering 1 days of study = 8 hours.
            In fine, only the total amount of hours is important.

Thank you all for your answer, i think i will put a xp cost adding to time in order to avoid mass learning ofrituals in long downtimes (years).

Comment

Working...
            X