The Kraina/Koldunic Sorcery Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    This also has me thinking, and I wonder why I never thought about it until Appalachia of all things gets mentioned, but Kraina seem like an interesting connection between Tzmisce, and Vampires in general, and the Fae.
    being able to scary through a bird familiar, summon a deadlock for shelter or a gardinel as a trap, all sorts of lore to make a Kraina from. I could see a Bratovitch Tzimsce exploring the legends and spirits.

"banjos" how cliche.

Comment

Oh man if Tzimisce had methuselahs in Alaska... man they got a lot of their ancients in all the corners of the world! Carpathians, Russia, India, and Africa!

Considering that British Columbia, especially the Sect-agnostic Elysium city of Vancouver, boasts plenty of elders and methuselah, it's not hard to imagine a few millenia-old Tzimisce Autarkis working on their personal agendas in Canada through Vassals while making their home just across the border in Alaska.
      Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 04-03-2018, 02:09 AM.

What's with the penguin? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

Speaking of an entirely different Vancouver, here's another Pacific Northwest kraina, focusing on the water cycle:

The Portland-Vancouver Kraina (Attribute: Perception)

• Eyes of the Steelhead
        The Koldun may peer into a body of water and view events that have transpired on, in, or around it from the water’s perspective. The spirits of the water have a deep memory, and the Koldun who consults them may peer into the very depths of the past.

System: The number of successes rolled determines how far into the past the character can look.

Successes Result

1 success
        One week

2 successes
        One month

3 successes
        One year

4 successes
        Ten years

5 successes
        One century

Every Success beyond 5 allows the Koldun to see one century farther, which can make this quite the potent tool for a curious sorcerer. The Storyteller may require a Perception + Occult roll for the character to discern very small details in the transmitted images. This power can only be used on naturally occuring fresh water; brackish, salt or tap water simply won't do.

•• Lacamas Cage
        The Koldun can command a sufficiently large quantity of water to animate itself and imprison a subject. This power requires a significant amount of fresh water to be fully effective, although even a few gallons can be used to shape chains of animated water.

System: The user spends a blood point and rolls activation as normal. The number of successes scored on the roll is the number of successes the victim must score on a Strength roll (difficulty 8; Potence can add to this roll) to break free. A Koldun can maintain only one Cage per dot of Perception at a time, although the caster is free to invoke multiple uses of this power upon separate victims and may dissolve these liquid prisons at will. If a sufficient quantity of water (at least a bathtub’s worth) is not present, the difficulty of the roll to activate this power is raised by one
        ••• Lacamas' Maw
        Channeling the nature of the deep sinkholes (called potholes by the locals) associated with Lacamas lakes' attendant waterfalls, a Koldun may use this power to drag a victim into a bubbling, aqueous pit in the earth. She need only gesture and the soil beneath her victim opens like the maw of a great leviathan. This power may ensnare any victim who stands upon the earth within 100 feet/30 meters of the Koldun.

System: Every success on the activation roll leaves the victim immobile for one turn. However, a victim of this power can attempt to break free using a Strength + Survival roll (difficulty 8), and doing so requires five successes. As the earth continues to shift and bubble while the power remains active, this roll must be made as a single (though repeatable) attempt rather than an extended test. In addition, beings trapped in the swirling, crushing Maw suffer one level of lethal damage each turn. Beings capable of soaking this damage may do so, but at difficulty 7. At the end of the power’s duration, the earth yawns once more to release the victim in a great expulsion of water.

•••• The Columbia Unleashed
        When the rains come in the Pacific Northwest, the Columbia River leaps its banks and whole freeways are swept away, along with any person, living or dead, unwise enough not to seek higher ground. The Koldun wielding this power carries with her the surging might of the Columbia wherever she goes.

System: The Koldun releases a point of her blood into running water - a river or stream is most common, though a rivulet or even just runoff from thawing snow is enough — and rolls to activate this power. On a success, the blood bolsters the flow, causing it to swell and surge forward, a flash flood given magical life. Anyone, as well as most anything not secured to the ground, caught in its path will be swept away towards the point of lowest elevation at a rate of a hundred yards a turn, and must soak five dice of bashing damage per turn. Any subject somehow prevented from being carried downstream — wedged against a wall or other immoveable object, for instance — takes twice the normal amount of damage. Additionally, mortals must make a swimming roll (difficulty 8) each turn to avoid swallowing great mouthfuls of water; failure inflicts one additional level of lethal damage which cannot be soaked. These rushing waters last for a number of turns equal to successes rolled to activate the power, or twice that number if the source of the flooding is any Pacific Northwest river.

••••• Tempest of the Evergreen
        The Pacific Northwest is known for rain and cloudy skies. Its storms can be devastating, and the local Koldun haven't ignored that fact. By invoking their blood and applying the full force of their will, a Koldun may take control of the night sky itself and make it their weapon. Churning gray clouds blot out stars and moon, unleashing spiraling gusts and a driving downpour of freezing rain. Lightning arcs overhead, with each thunderous flash casting jagged shadows across the land.

System: After a successful activation roll, a Koldun may conjure a terrible storm from even the clearest sky. It takes six hours for the clouds to gather and thicken overhead, minus one hour for every success rolled. If this results in a duration of less than one hour, the clouds blossom outward from directly overhead like a black canopy, filling the sky in mere minutes. Once the clouds form, the rain begins to fall in torrents and the lightning begins. The storm persists at full strength for one hour per success rolled. It gradually dissipates over the hour following that. During the peak of its fury, the storm may cause flooding and certainly chills any exposed mortal to the bone (1 die of unsoakable bashing damage every five minutes of full exposure). Lightning strikes regularly, far more than a usual storm. Indeed, for a cost of one Willpower point, a Koldun may direct lightning at a foe using her Perception + Occult (difficulty 6). A successful strike inflicts 10 dice of lethal damage (which can be soaked normally). Only one such attack may be made each turn, with a botch directing the full fury of the storm at an unintended target (such as the Koldun herself).

What's with the penguin? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

But I'm curious do you have a fleshed out version of the Kraina you mentioned like the Woods one? I'm very interested if you would like to post them here.
          Here it is:

Kraina of the Woods

A koldun with this power can bring to anywhere she stands the might of a forest from her native homeland. With merely a touch, hauntingly beautiful and dangerous trees belonging to the forest develop from inside any surface, animating to defend the koldun. Whole trees grow with branches and roots that can impale a vampiric foe or try to strangle victims to death. Sustained by the koldun’s will and blood these trees usually wither and die rapidly, but can also be made permanent. If damaged, they have the koldun's blood and not sap inside.

System: The koldun spends a blood point and rolls (Attribute: Stamina), touching the center of the area to be affected. Sentient beings cannot be targeted by this power. Trees instantly grow from inside the affected surface, occupying roughly a circular radius of one feet for each success, centered where the koldun touched. Using this power inside buildings can badly damage them, and any structural damage caused remains after the trees are gone. The tress are animated and under the koldun's will for a number of turns equal to the rating in this Kraina, but immediately rot away into shrunk dead wood unless the koldun spends one blood point per turn to sustain and keep them animated. If the koldun spends one Willpower point the trees will be permanent, even after the time of their animation has ended, but these are normal trees and will die if created in places that cannot sustain plant life. Permanently created trees can be further animated at a later time with a new application of this power, but the koldun must score an equal amount of successes as achieved in their creation. The plants attack following the koldun’s order, having Physical Attributes and Health Levels equal to the rating in this Kraina. They cause bashing damage. The plants do not take wound penalties, but cannot soak aggravated or fire damage. The plants collectively receive one independent action each turn, at the Koldun’s initiative order. Inside the koldun's homeland forest this power is fearsome: no roll or blood is required. The forest simply animates, responding instantly to the koldun’s commands, and the plant life can target anyone present in the scene. They have Traits equal to twice the koldun’s rating in this Kraina.

Note: Obvioulsy, Obtenbration's Arms of the Abyss was the inspiration for the System. More recently, I'd adapt the new forest Kraina from DA Tome of Secrets, which has a plant attack power.

Comment

And since its so customizable, I wonder how many Kraina do most Koldun's tap into over their Career?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

And since its so customizable, I wonder how many Kraina do most Koldun's tap into over their Career?
              Since Kuldun are Tzimesce, and Tzimesce are territorial - Probably just 1 plus Genus Loci. Maybe their Master's Kraina that they were taught and then one for their home that they develop.

There were rules for some group of Kuldun that got Jealous if they say a path or ritual that they didn't know, so that may affect them to increase it though

Comment

Pardon my mild necromantic cantrip here, but I wanted to bring this thread back to ask a question that might be relevant (if not, I'll just make a thread of my own).

So, DAV20 mentions that Ogham is a variant of Koldunic Sorcery. This makes some degree of sense: it comes from binding a shard of a spirit to oneself, and every Koldun is, at their heart, a negotiator with spirits. It's also fairly obvious that the spirit bound to the Lhiannan is something that is in accordance with Gaia, or at least related, given how the third level power gives bonuses related to the current lunar phase that correspond to the five auspices of the Garou. My question is: could an inventive Koldun rediscover or develop Ogham independently with some sort of ritual that mimics the chiminage that Garou do? I'd been thinking about this for a while because I'm running a Tzimisce character that's a bit of a mystical lorehound and this seemed appropriate. Any thoughts? I was thinking of designing a ritual for this, and may post it later, but would love any feedback and thoughts right now!

Comment

I don't see why not?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by SandCarlyle View Post
                    Pardon my mild necromantic cantrip here, but I wanted to bring this thread back to ask a question that might be relevant (if not, I'll just make a thread of my own).

So, DAV20 mentions that Ogham is a variant of Koldunic Sorcery. This makes some degree of sense: it comes from binding a shard of a spirit to oneself, and every Koldun is, at their heart, a negotiator with spirits. It's also fairly obvious that the spirit bound to the Lhiannan is something that is in accordance with Gaia, or at least related, given how the third level power gives bonuses related to the current lunar phase that correspond to the five auspices of the Garou. My question is: could an inventive Koldun rediscover or develop Ogham independently with some sort of ritual that mimics the chiminage that Garou do? I'd been thinking about this for a while because I'm running a Tzimisce character that's a bit of a mystical lorehound and this seemed appropriate. Any thoughts? I was thinking of designing a ritual for this, and may post it later, but would love any feedback and thoughts right now!
                    It's all on ST Fiat and how much they know of the system and agree.
                    If you can communicate with a powerful spirit and convince them, then it makes sense for it to work.
                    Honestly, the Lhiannan's downside may make a party game difficult though.

Comment

Working...
                    X