The Kraina/Koldunic Sorcery Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    This also has me thinking, and I wonder why I never thought about it until Appalachia of all things gets mentioned, but Kraina seem like an interesting connection between Tzmisce, and Vampires in general, and the Fae.
    being able to scary through a bird familiar, summon a deadlock for shelter or a gardinel as a trap, all sorts of lore to make a Kraina from. I could see a Bratovitch Tzimsce exploring the legends and spirits.

"banjos" how cliche.

Comment

Oh man if Tzimisce had methuselahs in Alaska... man they got a lot of their ancients in all the corners of the world! Carpathians, Russia, India, and Africa!

Considering that British Columbia, especially the Sect-agnostic Elysium city of Vancouver, boasts plenty of elders and methuselah, it's not hard to imagine a few millenia-old Tzimisce Autarkis working on their personal agendas in Canada through Vassals while making their home just across the border in Alaska.
      Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 04-03-2018, 02:09 AM.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." - Clive Barker, The Books of Blood

Comment

nonononoonoono

Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 07-10-2018, 02:34 PM.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." - Clive Barker, The Books of Blood

Comment

But I'm curious do you have a fleshed out version of the Kraina you mentioned like the Woods one? I'm very interested if you would like to post them here.
          Here it is:

Kraina of the Woods

A koldun with this power can bring to anywhere she stands the might of a forest from her native homeland. With merely a touch, hauntingly beautiful and dangerous trees belonging to the forest develop from inside any surface, animating to defend the koldun. Whole trees grow with branches and roots that can impale a vampiric foe or try to strangle victims to death. Sustained by the koldun’s will and blood these trees usually wither and die rapidly, but can also be made permanent. If damaged, they have the koldun's blood and not sap inside.

System: The koldun spends a blood point and rolls (Attribute: Stamina), touching the center of the area to be affected. Sentient beings cannot be targeted by this power. Trees instantly grow from inside the affected surface, occupying roughly a circular radius of one feet for each success, centered where the koldun touched. Using this power inside buildings can badly damage them, and any structural damage caused remains after the trees are gone. The tress are animated and under the koldun's will for a number of turns equal to the rating in this Kraina, but immediately rot away into shrunk dead wood unless the koldun spends one blood point per turn to sustain and keep them animated. If the koldun spends one Willpower point the trees will be permanent, even after the time of their animation has ended, but these are normal trees and will die if created in places that cannot sustain plant life. Permanently created trees can be further animated at a later time with a new application of this power, but the koldun must score an equal amount of successes as achieved in their creation. The plants attack following the koldun’s order, having Physical Attributes and Health Levels equal to the rating in this Kraina. They cause bashing damage. The plants do not take wound penalties, but cannot soak aggravated or fire damage. The plants collectively receive one independent action each turn, at the Koldun’s initiative order. Inside the koldun's homeland forest this power is fearsome: no roll or blood is required. The forest simply animates, responding instantly to the koldun’s commands, and the plant life can target anyone present in the scene. They have Traits equal to twice the koldun’s rating in this Kraina.

Note: Obvioulsy, Obtenbration's Arms of the Abyss was the inspiration for the System. More recently, I'd adapt the new forest Kraina from DA Tome of Secrets, which has a plant attack power.

Comment

And since its so customizable, I wonder how many Kraina do most Koldun's tap into over their Career?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

And since its so customizable, I wonder how many Kraina do most Koldun's tap into over their Career?
              Since Kuldun are Tzimesce, and Tzimesce are territorial - Probably just 1 plus Genus Loci. Maybe their Master's Kraina that they were taught and then one for their home that they develop.

There were rules for some group of Kuldun that got Jealous if they say a path or ritual that they didn't know, so that may affect them to increase it though

Comment

Pardon my mild necromantic cantrip here, but I wanted to bring this thread back to ask a question that might be relevant (if not, I'll just make a thread of my own).

So, DAV20 mentions that Ogham is a variant of Koldunic Sorcery. This makes some degree of sense: it comes from binding a shard of a spirit to oneself, and every Koldun is, at their heart, a negotiator with spirits. It's also fairly obvious that the spirit bound to the Lhiannan is something that is in accordance with Gaia, or at least related, given how the third level power gives bonuses related to the current lunar phase that correspond to the five auspices of the Garou. My question is: could an inventive Koldun rediscover or develop Ogham independently with some sort of ritual that mimics the chiminage that Garou do? I'd been thinking about this for a while because I'm running a Tzimisce character that's a bit of a mystical lorehound and this seemed appropriate. Any thoughts? I was thinking of designing a ritual for this, and may post it later, but would love any feedback and thoughts right now!

Comment

I don't see why not?

Comment

Originally posted by SandCarlyle View Post
                    Pardon my mild necromantic cantrip here, but I wanted to bring this thread back to ask a question that might be relevant (if not, I'll just make a thread of my own).

So, DAV20 mentions that Ogham is a variant of Koldunic Sorcery. This makes some degree of sense: it comes from binding a shard of a spirit to oneself, and every Koldun is, at their heart, a negotiator with spirits. It's also fairly obvious that the spirit bound to the Lhiannan is something that is in accordance with Gaia, or at least related, given how the third level power gives bonuses related to the current lunar phase that correspond to the five auspices of the Garou. My question is: could an inventive Koldun rediscover or develop Ogham independently with some sort of ritual that mimics the chiminage that Garou do? I'd been thinking about this for a while because I'm running a Tzimisce character that's a bit of a mystical lorehound and this seemed appropriate. Any thoughts? I was thinking of designing a ritual for this, and may post it later, but would love any feedback and thoughts right now!
                    It's all on ST Fiat and how much they know of the system and agree.
                    If you can communicate with a powerful spirit and convince them, then it makes sense for it to work.
                    Honestly, the Lhiannan's downside may make a party game difficult though.

Comment

I got an idea for creating a Kraina for South Africa. The kind of otherwise isolated Koldunic sorcery developed by Naglopers of the savannas. (Naglopers being an obvious bloodline of the Tzimisce).

So I did a quick read-through of the Geography of South Africa. After doing so, I'm daunted by the task. It might just be that I'm way too tired right now (at the time of this writing, I'm fighting off the urge to go to bed), but it's also because the geography and ecology of the place is simply more complex than I assumed it would be.

I know, right? An American, assuming that Africa was simple and easy to understand? Say it isn't so!

At this point, I'm thinking it might be fairer and more intellectually honest to create, not one, but multiple Kraina to handle the various geographic areas of that huge place. I'd want at least a couple. One for the KwaZulu-Natal, another for the Highveld, Bushveld, and Lowveld (maybe even separate ones). One for the Great Karoo. The Great Escarpment (and/or "Drakensberg") should get mentioned, whether in one Kraina or multiple of them; it's a geographic feature that dominates the landscape, so not addressing it in a land-based method of sorcery would seem like a huge misstep. There's also the Bushmanland and Namaqualand, but I hadn't gotten to reading about them before I gave up.

If there were going to be Naglopers that developed their own Kraina, I'd imagine their paths would vary as much as those in Eastern Europe. They would probably develop far beyond just South Africa. Right now I'm going to focus on this (admittedly large and varied) country, for the sake of establishing firm boundaries. We could be here for months if the whole continent was on the table.

Now I'm going to go collapse. Address this mess in the morning.
                      Last edited by Bluecho; 05-22-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah South Africa seems a big vast for one Kraina. :P

Comment

Absolutely go for multiple by areas, You might be able to focus on country by country and the main terrain in that country (For the smaller ones) but look back a bunch of years.

Or focus based on local folklore

"Various regions of Africa have folkloric tales of beings with vampiric abilities: in West Africa the Ashanti people tell of the iron-toothed and tree-dwelling asanbosam, and the Ewe people of the adze, which can take the form of a firefly and hunts children The Eastern Cape region of South Africa has the impundulu, which can take the form of a large taloned bird and can summon thunder and lightning, and the Betsileo people of Madagascar tell of the ramanga, an outlaw or living vampire who drinks the blood and eats the nail clippings of nobles."
                          Wikipedia

Becoming or controlling fireflies / will-o-wisps sounds interesting. Or linking them to the Fae?

Comment

Do any of you have any ideas for a kraina suitable for the city of Oxford, UK?

Comment

Okay, I think I've got a plan for going forward now. For the moment, I'm dividing South Africa into four major regions, which in turn produce four Kraina. (The Kalahari Desert also has a presence in the country, but is shared with three others, and is generally large and distinct enough to require its own discussion. I'll be focusing on those places specific to South Africa). These four Kraina are:

- Kraina of the Nama Karoo: Upper Karoo, Lower Karoo, and Little Karoo

-Kraina of the Veld: Highveld, Lowveld, and Bushveld

-Kraina of the Drakensberg: The KwaZulu-Natal and the Drakensberg part of the Great Escarpment

-Kraina of Succulent Karoo: Namaqualand and Bushmanland, and possibly the Cape Fold Mountains area (maybe)

I've also included a map of these areas, to give a better idea of where everything is.

I'll attempt to lay out a rough guideline for what powers each Kraina will give, and go one at a time. This is a complex project, for a complex country.

Edit: Upon further research, I figured out a better naming scheme. Changed "Kraina of the Great Karoo" to "Kraina of the Nama Karoo", and changed "Kraina of Great Namaqualand" to "Kraina of Succulent Karoo". The two Karoos indicate different biome zones. Nonetheless, the Succulent Karoo are will keep its connections to Bushmanland, just to keep things simple. Alternatively, I could chop Bushmanland off, and instead make it part of a larger Kalahari Desert Kraina somewhere down the line. I'll come back to this.
                              Last edited by Bluecho; 05-22-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Kraina of the Nama Karoo

Named for the Great Karoo, an inland region known for its dry climate, great heat AND great frost, its herds of roaming animals (and the predators that hunted them), for its terrible thunderstorms, and the eerie clear skies. Populations of humans were sparse - only the nomadic Khoisan people regularly lived in the area, which was generally too arid for the kind of cattle farming preferred by the Bantu people to the East - but the prior wealth of large game made survival possible for some vampires. Mostly those who wielded Animalism or could hunt well, such as African Gangrel, Nosferatu, and, of course, Tzimisce (in the form of Naglopers). Unsurprisingly, the tempestuous and harsh climate and environment lent itself well to those of a mystical bent, as did the spiritual resources resting just below the surface.

Kolduns of the Great Karoo developed this Kraina to aid them in their battles against vampiric rivals, over the sparse blood to be had there. Many Naglopers claim that the yearly mass migration of Springbok antelope, that would thunder from the North into the Great Karoo, was in some way influenced by masters of Animalism, either as part of some intense rivalry or as some collaborative effort to move large quantities of blood across the region. (It depends on which old vampire you ask, as to which cause is true, if any). The times change, however, and European settlers have changed the landscape dramatically with their windmills, that allow for the extraction of water reserves deep underground, making sheep farming possible. The erection of fences and the overgrazing by sheep have kicked up soil erosion, and driven off the Springbok herds (and most of the predators with them). Naturally, Kolduns native to the region are incensed by the activities of these white devils, and make their displeasure known from time to time. Many residents subsist on the blood of sheep, or on their keepers. Other Naglopers - including some Koldun - have instead left the Great Karoo, in order to seek their fortunes (and wreak bloody vengeance on European-style society) in other parts of Africa and even in the Western World.

* Read The Cloudless Skies: The arid air and low rainfall mean the Great Karoo has clearer skies than most. Moreover, populations are still low and urbanization sparse to nonexistent, so there's a dearth of light pollution. For this reason, it's extremely easy to study the heavens when on the plains of the Great Karoo. Practitioners of Dur-An-Ki have traveled here over the centuries to expand their knowledge of astrology and the music of the spheres, and even mortals understand the value of this place enough that they currently erect great telescopes and radio dishes, in the home of studying the galaxy. But the resident Koldun were studying these skies before anyone else; despite Koldunic sorcery being predominantly tied to the land, it's difficult NOT to crane one's head to the heavens when the land is so flat and the air so clear.

Kolduns with this power may employ the stars for divination purposes. By studying the stars in the night sky, the Koldun may ask one question, which the Storyteller can answer as they wish. The question must be simple, and the clearness of the answer (if they get one at all) will depend on the number of successes rolled.

** Tap The Hidden Waters: Despite appearances, there's plenty of water in Great Karoo. It just happens to all be underground, in deep aquifers. Long before Dutch settlers erected windmills to pump water from the ground, resident Koldun were exploiting the liquids found buried in the Karoo. Sometimes the water would be released onto the surface as an act of charity (albeit self-motivated), allowing mortal humans and animals to drink when thirst would otherwise kill them. Usually, though, Kolduns tapped the deep wells for their own needs.

This power allows the Koldun to force water from belowground to burst forth to the surface. This can occur both in natural water sources, or from the water found in pipes, sewers, or cisterns. The water bursts with enough force to knock a person sprawling. Alternatively, the Koldun can make the water freeze upon exiting the ground, calling upon the bitter winter chill to spear targets with spikes of solid ice. Other uses for this power include putting out fires, knocking around large objects (at high successes, even cars), providing drinking water for the living, or opening deep holes that the Koldun can crawl into for shelter from the sun.

*** Koppie Blanket: One of the main geologic features of note in the Great Karoo at certain flat-topped hills - called Karoo Koppies - that dot the landscape. Capped with dolerite sills - the material remnants of ancient volcanic lava flows - Karoo Koppies are protected from much of the erosion that carved out the landscape, with its much softer rocks. As it's hard to miss these features, Kolduns long ago studied the Koppies, and learned to derive power from the dolerite that tops them.

This power wreaths the Koldun in a protective layer of dolerite, a hard mineral that armors her against harm. It provides dots of armor protection, including against fire. If the Koldun scores more than five successes, she can so cover herself with the material that she can briefly endure even the light of the sun, though only for a minute. The sun's rays eat away at the armor summoned by blood magic. Moreover, for every dot gained in armor, the Koldun is penalized in dots from Dexterity dice pools. Because they are wearing a suit of armor made from solid stone. Duh.

**** Karoo Climate Calamity: While infrequent, summer thunderstorms in the Great Karoo grow quite violent. Intense heat and bitter frost predominate the rest of the time. Naturally, Kolduns learned to summon and direct such forces against their enemies.

This power allows the Koldun to summon thunderstorms, cold fronts, and heat waves. It often takes a great deal of time to form (unless the Koldun scored many successes), but the devestation can be great when they do.

***** Call The Old Bones: Beasts and monsters sleep beneath the Great Karoo. Ancient creatures, some that walked the earth before even the dinosaurs, rest in the stone. But while their lives have been extinguished, their spirits are another matter. Long before mortals unearthed fossils from vast epochs ago, Karoo Koldun heard the voices of these slumbering beasts billow up from the earth. Old Koldun claim to have heard them while floating in deep aquafers, when they retreated undergrond to escape the daylight. The height of power for the Nama Karoo Kraina comes from the ability to summon these ancient spirits, and manifest them for the Koldun's benefit.

This power requires the bones of a creature that is either extinct, or which has been dead for a very long time (at least 100 years). Those bones can be fossilized, and indeed don't need to be on hand. So long as they are within a mile of the Koldun when they activate the power, a spectral manifestation of the organism can be summoned. Even those bones that are buried in the ground will do, and many Kolduns do precisely that to bring prehistoric creatures to bear. A creature that is relatively recent will look like a shadow of its full self, while bones of truly ancient age will appear skeletal. The exact form is based on what bones are available, with larger beasts requiring more successes to summon (a long-dead dog might require 1, a horse 2 or 3, and a T-Rex 5 to 6).

This beast can be used for whatever purpose the Koldun requires, and will obey the Koldun. While some use this power to create attack animals, others use them for more benign purpose, like to move cars or act as mounts. More than one confused Sabbat pack has seen a strange African Tzimisce, riding a glowing zebra. Indeed, many Karoo Koldun carry bones of Quagga, a type of zebra native to Karoo that was hunted to extinction, for nothing more than sport. The Koldun consider it a matter of principle that they deliver justice against the West (and its Camarilla masters) while riding such a noble, tragically lost beast.
                                Last edited by Bluecho; 05-22-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X