The Kraina/Koldunic Sorcery Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandCarlyle View Post
    Do you think perhaps the adhenes would be a good match for this? Just shooting things out here, but especially given how they are wholly of the Dreaming rather than walking both worlds like Changelings, it'd feel very thematically appropriate.
    By Mentioning "adhenes" you have proven more knowledge than me in this arena. I have no idea about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
      By Mentioning "adhenes" you have proven more knowledge than me in this arena. I have no idea about them.
      So, Adhenes are the different types of Denizen or Dark Kin. Basically, unlike Changelings that are one foot in each world, the Denizens are all Dreaming, and only interact with our normal world through possession or manifestation for brief times, closer to how we think of wraiths or demons.

An interesting kraina or way would be something about manifesting the abilities of these adhenes, which really would fit thematically with the bargaining nature of koldunism; the koldun is reaping a benefit while the adhenes gets to enjoy the ride. (Note: it's written in C20 that adhenes actually find possession rather uncomfortable, which could be fluffed out in a kraina or way by saying that the koldun progressing up the tiers is making himself more open to shouldering the discomfort; after all, imagine how bizarre it must feel to have a completely otherworldly entity hitching a ride on you).
      *Mantle of the Aonides - Aonides are muses, and while Tzimisce are seldom considered creative, artistic, and impassioned in ways pleasing to mortals, tales of exceptionally graceful Voivodes have some basis. On activation, roll Charisma+Occult; the number of successes equals the number of ones rolled on Charisma or Manipulation based rolls the koldun may instead count as simple failures, allowing him to avoid botches. Any of these unused successes are lost by dawn.
      **Mantle of the Fuath - Fuath are animalistic and fierce, and the beasts of the world dare not stand against them. When cast, the koldun rolls Manipulation+Occult; for each success, the koldun goes a night where all the animal kingdom gives him a wide berth: animals can not even be goaded into attacking him, and even supernaturally affected beings or partially animalistic beings (animals controlled by Animalism or Mind magic, Garou or Fera, etc) must succeed on a Willpower roll (difficulty 7) to harm him. Creatures affected are forced to simply watch quietly and hold still as the koldun goes about his business. Should the koldun attack first, the effect ends. The area of effect is 100 feet radius, centered on the koldun.
      ***Mantle of the Keremet - Keremet are the iron willed survivors of what should have been good deaths in the Dreaming. Strongly bound by oath and pact and determined to power through, no obstacle can stop them. The koldun rolls Stamina + Occult; the number of successes is the number of hours they may ignore half their wounds for the purposes of dice pool penalties (a koldun who takes six levels of lethal damage from a sword would only behave as if he had 3, for example). While this can help push a koldun far past the usual limits of incapacitation, this can be catastrophically damaging if poorly timed: the wounds must still be healed for all the levels of damage taken (in the above example, the koldun will need to spend six blood points to heal all the damage). Tales tell of several kolduns that used this power before battle and fought until they stood atop a mound of corpses, only for the spell to wear off and their grievous wounds immediately throwing them into torpor.
      ****Mantle of the Acheri - Acheri are the ones separating wheat from chaff, usually through plague and temptation. When activated, the user rolls Charisma+Occult. Based on the number of successes, the koldun physically or mentally blights a region and it's peoples. (A penalty on either Stamina or Willpower related rolls). However, this doesn't circumvent one of the frailties of the acheri: the color red repels such witchery, and any character wearing red at the time of casting is unaffected. The effects last until the next new moon.
      *****Mantle of the Fir-bholg - the Fir-bholg are supposedly the great lords over all the other adhenes that have fallen from grace and wait to rise again. Noble and bestial all in one, these antlered heralds of sacrifice and chaos resemble both the nobility and savagery of the Tzimisce. The koldun rolls Intelligence+Occult. The number of successes is the number of times until the next new moon that the koldun may apply any of their Disciplines at visual range upon someone, meaning both Disciplines that usually require physical contact (such as Vicissitude) as well as those that usually only work on the self (Obfuscating another, for instance). Any unused successes vanished at the new moon. Should the koldun want more successes, he can perform a sacrifice as he casts the spell; sacrificing a small animal (anything smaller than a wolf) allows for -1 difficulty on the roll, a larger animal (anything wolf-sized or larger) allows for -2 difficulty, and human sacrifice allows for -3 difficulty.
      Last edited by SandCarlyle; 11-03-2018, 04:38 AM. Reason: Too many ideas coming in the wee hours.

Comment

SandCarlyle Ooh. I like the theme and feel of this Kraina idea. Nice work. It might be really appropriate for a rather unique NPC in a game I'm running, actually. Would you mind if I used it to give my players something new and different to deal with? I'm addicted to inspired bits of homebrew.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
        - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
        (She/Her)

Comment

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
          SandCarlyle Ooh. I like the theme and feel of this Kraina idea. Nice work. It might be really appropriate for a rather unique NPC in a game I'm running, actually. Would you mind if I used it to give my players something new and different to deal with? I'm addicted to inspired bits of homebrew.
          Sure! I've also got another one in mind regarding Nightmares (basically magical creatures of the Dreaming) that may be of interest, if you wish!

Comment

Originally posted by SandCarlyle View Post

Sure! I've also got another one in mind regarding Nightmares (basically magical creatures of the Dreaming) that may be of interest, if you wish!
            Thanks so much! This should be quite fun to work with, for myself and the players. I'm very interested in the idea you have for a Dreaming connected Nightmares Kraina. CtD is technically canon in the current setting, so the more ways for non-fae characters to interact with or play off of the Dreaming and associated Changeling stuff, the better.

You have my sincere gratitude.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
            (She/Her)

Comment

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post

Thanks so much! This should be quite fun to work with, for myself and the players. I'm very interested in the idea you have for a Dreaming connected Nightmares Kraina. CtD is technically canon in the current setting, so the more ways for non-fae characters to interact with or play off of the Dreaming and associated Changeling stuff, the better.

You have my sincere gratitude.
              Tis a pleasure! Now then, without further ado...

Kraina of the Nightmares

Every great voivode is an absolute lord of their land and all that trods upon it, living or dead. For some kolduns, this is not enough; even that which dwells on the other side of reality is subject to their will should it dare to tread in their tirsa. Masters of this kraina have learned to spend vitae to reach from the other side of the Dreaming and bend the otherworldly creatures there to their will. Practicioners of this Kraina also often know the Kraina of the Denizens (see my above post), but there is a key difference: while the Kraina of the Denizens is a definite partnership between adhene and koldun, in this Kraina, it is strictly control. Speaking of which, only the most talented of kolduns should consider using the higher level powers of this Kraina. At all levels, simple failure means the summoning fails, while a botch means the summoning succeeds but the koldun has no influence over the creature. While hardly a problem if only a stray fairy cat, a rampaging cryptid or outsider will take some degree of effort to put down. For all stats, see C20 corebook, page 356.

*Feline Familiar - Sometimes the most subtle of tricks is best. This power summons a so-called "fairy cat" - a feline born of the Dreaming. The activation roll of Charisma + Occult determines the number of days that this creature serves as a faithful feline spy able to empathetically communicate in perfect detail any information it has collected. This is especially useful given that the cat may communicate much more easily with other animals than even some Cainites with Animalism. Should the koldun cast the spell again before it expires, the duration extends. Should the cat stay under the thrall of the koldun for a full year and a day, no further castings are necessary; the creature has become your steadfast companion.

**Hellhound Packlord - When the prey is seldom mundane, the hunter brings an exceptional group of hounds. With a Manipulation + Occult roll, the koldun summons one hellhound per success to serve him for the night. At the time of casting, the koldun may spend an extra blood point per night he wishes to extend the effect, allowing him to avoid rolling again, but this has to be done at the time of casting; should the unlucky koldun discover his quarry had eluded him another unexpected night, he'll need to cast it again the next and hope he still rolls well.

***Hellsteed Hellraiser - To suit the nobility of his line, a koldun may very well like to have a steed as divorced from normalcy as he is. With a Stamina + Occult roll, the koldun may summon a fearsome hellsteed to serve as his mount for a number of nights equal to his successes. By spending additional blood at the time of casting, the koldun may multiply the number of his successes by a factor of total blood spent. (Example: the koldun spends a blood point to activate the spell, and gets 5 successes on the activation roll. He decides to spend an extra 2 blood points, for a total of 3. 3 points total times 5 successes on the initial roll means that his hellsteed is faithfully serving him for 15 days).

****Night Lord of Nervosa and Nocnitsa - When a koldun is keen on fostering terror in the small folk (which he likely views to be anyone other than himself and his elders), he may find it prudent to reach into his toybox and have some fun. By rolling Wits + Occult, the koldun may summon a single creature from either the nervosa or nocnitsa categories of Nightmare to serve him for one night per success. Such creatures are flavored by local myth, but tend towards being simpler, so simple commands may serve best. The player and Storyteller are encouraged to do good research for flavorful results - after all, a koldun summoning cryptids from their Transylvanian homeland will have vastly different results than one abroad in Western Europe.

*****Dark Lord of the Outsiders - The koldun at this level has managed to bend even the animate campfire stories of huddled peasants in their domain to their indomitable will. By rolling Intelligence + Occult, the koldun may command this most powerful category of Nightmare for a single night per success. Hardly dull, these creatures must be given extremely clear, detailed directions if pointed anything remotely in the vicinity of something you hold dear: while they will happily destroy the rival that ousted you last spring, you had best tell them to only destroy said rival if you don't want to return to a scene of carnage where all the villagers have been slaughtered too.

Comment

SandCarlyle I love what you've put together. The Kraina of the Nightmares is definitely going to see play at my table!

(She/Her)

Comment

Sorry for the necro! Just wanted to put this revision where it belongs for those interested in using it.

Kraina Of The Home Soil (Revised II)

The Koldun who wields this Kraina is the ruling lord of her Domain, rather than some sort of dependent slave to her Home Soil. The beginnings of this path enforce that idea by allowing the Koldun to draw upon the spiritual wealth of her land, taking strength and vitality from that which is hers. Further on, the power comes full circle, the Koldun empowering the Domain through Blood and Will.

Key Attribute: Stamina

• Root of Power

The essence of Cainite existence is hunger, and a Koldun may sate her own through taking advantage of her connection to the soil. Like the root of a sapling, the body of the Koldun may draw life, as though it were blood, from the earth itself.

System: The Koldun, after sleeping interred (by mundane means or through Earth Meld) in the raw soil of her Domain for a full day, gains a number of Blood Points equal to the successes on the casting roll, though points gained may not exceed the character's Generational maximum. These points are usable only for the following night, before evaporating from the Sorcerer's system, the borrowed vitality returning to the earth.

•• Cradle of Mokosh

Building on her connection to her native soil, a Koldun may now find succor and peace in the earth of her homeland. The comforts of mortality may have been lost, leaving a raging Beast in their place, but the Koldun may find a balm to her spirit in using this power. Some say the earth is a mother, and Koldun who employ this abillty may well agree.

System: The Koldun, if interred in her native soil, can refill her Temporary Willpower after an hour of silent meditation and rest. The feeling of being cradled by the earth has been found to soothe the Sorcerer's Beast, as well. For a number of nights equal to successes on the casting roll, all rolls to resist Frenzy are at -2 difficulty for the Koldun, the peace bestowed by the comfort of her homeland calming the ferocity of her spirit.

••• The Master Below

The Home Soil of a Tzimisce holds the deepest of spiritual connections to the vampire, and a Koldun using this power can take full advantage of this to bolster her own connection to vitality and the safety of the earth itself. The Koldun is The Land, and from beneath it she rules.

System: An interred Koldun using this power can be fed blood by drinking it directly from what is spilled over her place of rest. Spilled blood is mystically funneled directly into the Sorcerer's system, bypassing any potential obstacles or contaminants in the soil between her and the red offering above. The earth itself becomes an extension of the Koldun, even bending any flora within arm's reach (a radius of 1-3 meters) to her ends, able to will her vitae into the vegetable matter of these plants in order to make and maintain ghouls and blood bonds through them; often causing subtle but unnatural changes to these plants in the process. In addition to this, the interred Koldun does not suffer from the normal penalties for operating during the day and may use Dominate, Auspex and any mental Disciplines requiring physical sight or eye contact as though the Sorcerer's grave were her eyes.

•••• The Black Soil Feasts

Developed in the far reaches of the past, when swords of iron or even bronze still spilled blood on the soil, this power allows the Koldun to ensure that spilled blood goes where it belongs: to the master of the Domain.

System: Whether through combat, accident, butchery or murder, blood spilled on any earth considered to be part of the Sorcerer's Domain is transferred to her mystically; due to the elemental nature of this transfer, it negates any risk of poisoning or possible Blood Bonds, in the case of spilled Kindred Blood. Blood obtained this way may not exceed the Sorcerer's Generational Maximum. This power is passive and considered always "on" when the Koldun is within the bounds of her Domain. The Koldun need not be interred to reap the benefits of this power.

••••• Kupati

At the pinnacle of mastery in this Kraina, the dynamic of soil and blood comes full circle, the Koldun becoming able to imbue their Domain with her own vital essence. The Koldun achieves true mastery of this Kraina through personal sacrifice to the land, her spilled blood mingling with the soil to strengthen the Domain.

System: The Koldun spends a Willpower Point and drains five Blood Points from her own veins onto the bare earth of her Domain, mystically feeding her essence to the land. For a number of weeks equal to successes on the casting roll, the flora and fauna of the Sorcerer's Domain thrive almost beyond belief. Crops yield more bountiful harvests, fields of flowers bloom more richly than before, and trees grow faster (sometimes almost a meter a week, if some reports are true). Local animal life grows more healthy, sometimes even breeding more successfully. Furthermore, for the duration of this mystical enhancement, the Koldun may employ Animalism at -3 difficulty on any being naturally residing in the Domain.
                  Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

It’s never a necro! This is supposed to be a continuous thread! But I’m always curious on people’s opinions on Meta Kraina, like this.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Also on the name, Homesoil has special meaning to Tzimisce, but it does sound odd elsewhere. Perhaps something like Kraina of the Rodina, or the Rodina Zemlya may be better or snappier names.

I like it and it feels like it fills a solid niche as powers I’ve wanted my Voivodes to have. It also kind of feels like Solid Upgrades, making you more Godlike, so I want to hear if anyone sees any flaws in this. Or should it have flaws like you take increased penalities outside of your homesoil if you rely on this. That could help explain why it’s not being used by everyone, or Hell it could be used by everyone. I think I want this, or some form of this, solidly In my games now. I finally have some form of meta Kraina besides Kraina of the Genius Loci. Before I had things like eating blood through the soil as both a combo power (I guess we call them Amalgams now?) or a ritual. But I rather like this system. It also feels kind of like the Ordo Dracul Coils... hell I could even steal it for that in Requiem.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        Also on the name, Homesoil has special meaning to Tzimisce, but it does sound odd elsewhere. Perhaps something like Kraina of the Rodina, or the Rodina Zemlya may be better or snappier names.

I like it and it feels like it fills a solid niche as powers I’ve wanted my Voivodes to have. It also kind of feels like Solid Upgrades, making you more Godlike, so I want to hear if anyone sees any flaws in this. Or should it have flaws like you take increased penalities outside of your homesoil if you rely on this. That could help explain why it’s not being used by everyone, or Hell it could be used by everyone. I think I want this, or some form of this, solidly In my games now. I finally have some form of meta Kraina besides Kraina of the Genius Loci. Before I had things like eating blood through the soil as both a combo power (I guess we call them Amalgams now?) or a ritual. But I rather like this system. It also feels kind of like the Ordo Dracul Coils... hell I could even steal it for that in Requiem.
                        I'm glad you like the basic concept. I agree with you on the name, as it's rather flavorless in plain English. Kraina of the Rodina Zemlya/Rodnata Zemya sounds better if using a direct translation isn't too cheesy here. I'm using Rodnata Zemya for my home game, personally, but that's partially due to the NPC using it having Bulgarian roots. I'm definitely open to other ideas.

In my setting, it's being (and has been) taught as a companion Kraina to Genius Loci. Two sides of a coin, almost. As for weaknesses or drawbacks, I'd be glad to hear some ideas myself. An earlier version has some kinks in it based on suggestions by Bluecho, but the way I did them was not satisfying in play and rather clunky. Please, try to break it down, so I can build it better!
                        Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 12-02-2018, 09:51 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

Oh hell why not, one more from me.

Kraina of the Wormwood (key attribute: Intelligence)

Following Baba Yaga's timely demise and the collapse of the Shadow Curtain, young and old Fiends alike eagerly returned to their, and their ancestors', homeland. Most surprised by the changes wrought by the Hag's dominion were the Koldun of Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and those hardly Tzimisce daring enough to exist near the Kara and Barents Seas, as decades' of nuclear testing and some of the worst nuclear disasters in human history, had forever twisted the spirits of the land, and corrupted the very soil and air upon which the Fiends lay dominion. Young koldun would quickly turn these wastes into test zones of an entirely different nature, elevating their ancestral sorceries into the 20th Century as they learned to harness the power of the atom itself.

1 - Ionizing radiation is an invisible, imperceptible, force...but not to those with power over the Wormwood. Activating this power, the koldun attunes themselves to ambient radiation, enhancing their sense of taste to a level beyond that possible with Auspex alone and filtering out all other tastes, so they can perceive with exact detail the level of nearby radiation, and nearby radio-emitting isotopes. This power manifests itself as a tingling, metallic taste on the tongue, usually associated by mortals with exposure to high doses of radiation.

2 - It is not enough for practitioners of the Wormwood to rely on ambient radiation at high altitudes and in exclusion zones alone. Using this level, the koldun can absorb ambient radiation and radio-isotopes into their own body, irradiating their own vitae for later use. The number of successes on this activation roll determines the number of blood points which can be irradiated with each use, and the length of time it takes to irradiate each blood point depends on the strength of the radiation -- standing outdoors in high altitude areas may only irradiate one blood point per hour, but standing in close proximity to nuclear waste products will irradiate one blood point per turn. While use of this power is a horrendous breach of the Masquerade and has little effect on other Cainites due to their lack of metabolisms, it fuels use of higher levels of this Path and toxifies the koldun's blood to deal one level of aggravated damage, which can only be soaked with Fortitude, per blood point consumed or contacted by living animals or humans.

3 - Genetic mutation is the most harmful consequence of irradiation over the long term, but practitioners of the Wormwood find use in it. Other Tzimisce require generations' worth of infusing animal servitors with vitae, fleshcrafting, and selective breeding to create ideal hellhounds and other animals of war. Activating this power, the koldun may feed a ghouled animal one point of their irradiated blood to permanently increase a physical attribute by a dot, or make a physical alteration via Vicissitude a part of its true form. This power may be used multiple times on a single animal, but at the cost of rendering the animal sterile and therefore unable to pass on its mutations.

4 - To humans, cancer is a near-unavoidable side effect of irradiation. To a practitioner of the Wormwood, cancer becomes a tool. Human ghouls who consume the koldun's irradiated blood invariably become ridden with tumors, locked in a constant cycle of malignancy and remission due to their vitae's preserving and healing effects, which develop a sympathetic link to the koldun. Activating this power, the koldun may perceive through the senses of one of their ghouls and may use their disciplines through the servitor as if they were possessing the ghoul, but at this level they cannot physically or mentally control the servitor.

5 - Only upon achieving mastery over the Wormwood can the koldun weaponize it to full effect. At this level, koldun can transform their ghouled servants into living dirty bombs, who upon the koldun's command regardless of distance thanks to the sympathetically-linked tumors in their bodies, explode into showers of highly-radioactive gore. Only a single success on the activation roll is required to detonate a ghoul; the detonation causes one level of aggravated damage per irradiated blood point in their system in a ten-yard radius around the ghoul. Against other vampires, this damage degrades to bashing as the only source of damage is the raw force of the explosion coupled with flying shards of bone and sinew, but it may trigger hunger Frenzy checks. The explosion, needless to say, instantly kills the ghoul.

Comment

The main issue I have with the last Kraina is that Wormwood is the name of the Red Star that precludes Gehenna. But Merde (pardon my french) that is nasty and I imagine that it fits in the worldframe. Definitely a Wyrm tainted path if I've seen one.
                            There are a number of places with high natural radiation that this kind of path could have started to evolve before Fukishima: Guarapari, Brazil; Ramsar, Iran; Paralana Hot Springs, Arkaroola, Australia; Yangjiang, China and Karunagappally, India.
                            Plus anywhere that Uranium is mined, having Kuldun in caves near there they could have contacted Atomic Spirits.

Comment

Well, I chose the name Wormwood for a distinct reason -- the word for it in Ukrainian being "chernobyl". Thus, linking the kraina with a definitive landmark. The Biblical stuff aside, which is interesting all to its own since the Greek word used in Revelation is, if I remember right, apsinthos which is not a direct reference to the plant or its oil as such -- but an adjective that describes bitterness and toxicity, merely alluding to the plant for context. The mention of Kazakhstan and Novaya Zemlya (between the Barents and Kara Seas) are references to Soviet nuclear testing sites, Semipalatinsk being in Kazakhstan, and Novaya Zemlya being the other major Soviet nuclear testing site most famous for being where Tsar Bomba was detonated.

The core idea being, these sites which would have been squarely on Tzimisce home soil would have been places only accessible to koldun for the most part after Baba Yaga's Final Death. The Brujah Council would have had those sites on lockdown, and aside that I'd call it a safe bet the Soviet Brujah would have harshly suppressed Koldunism. Then came Baba Yaga and her decade-long transformation of the region into supernatural hell on Earth, only after which the presence of the Tzimisce, and their ancient practices, might have resurged, which if I remember right was said, more or less, to be the case in BJD. Hence why I elected those specific sites.

That said, I like the idea of the path being a "Biothaumaturgy Lite" that operates via exploiting and corrupting a force only really discovered and understood in the past century (and some change), giving it a pseudo-technomantic flavor, but firmly grounded in the gory, body-horror, mysticism that so firmly defines the Tzimisce. Koldunism corrupts the land in which the practitioner lives, but what does one do when the land is already corrupted by forces only understood in the context of modern science, making them wholly alien and unfathomable to all but the youngest vampires, the effects of which on living tissue so perfectly mirror the sick metamorphy for which the clan is infamous? It's a paradox which I only imagine most Tzimisce, with their obsessive scholarly and cruelly-scientific bent, would find irresistibly delicious. That it so perfectly compliments the Tzimisce clan spread is a side bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
                                That said, I like the idea of the path being a "Biothaumaturgy Lite" that operates via exploiting and corrupting a force only really discovered and understood in the past century (and some change), giving it a pseudo-technomantic flavor, but firmly grounded in the gory, body-horror, mysticism that so firmly defines the Tzimisce. Koldunism corrupts the land in which the practitioner lives, but what does one do when the land is already corrupted by forces only understood in the context of modern science, making them wholly alien and unfathomable to all but the youngest vampires, the effects of which on living tissue so perfectly mirror the sick metamorphy for which the clan is infamous? It's a paradox which I only imagine most Tzimisce, with their obsessive scholarly and cruelly-scientific bent, would find irresistibly delicious. That it so perfectly compliments the Tzimisce clan spread is a side bonus.
                                Really Love it

Comment

Working...
                                X