[DAV20] Help with choosing Road Salubri Watcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DAV20] Help with choosing Road Salubri Watcher

Ok we are playing a game set in Ancient Rome, set to span until modern day. So far we have been using Dark ages rules. Unfortunately my last character died... And I needed a new one. So I choose a Salubri Watcher so I could try a character where I tell none of the other players anything. He’s gonna be a Chinese Trader who has travelled along the Silk Road until he got to Rome, all with his trusty sidekick (who has the same sire, natch). Well that’s what he’s like on the outside. He’s really a pickpocket, conman thief with grand aspirations of the occult, for his partner to analyse and study. But that doesn’t make him selfish, oh no. He’s cunning yet friendly. And really he’s a scholar. He’s not the clever one of the duo and doesn’t have much academics either but he has an aim. Not just to survive but to help and guide vampiric kind. And for this no one must know who or what the watchers are...

Really though I’m mostly gonna be playing him as a hidden manipulative thief with a slightly scholarly bent. Generally he wants everyone to get along but he knows that can never happen. The reality is he’s not one to murder others, even mortals, unless absolutely necessary. Really it’s a very grey morality.

What Road would fit in with this?
    Last edited by bob275; 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM.

Humanity, because it would in itself enforce the “absolutely necessary“ bit.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Road of Humanity, probably at a middling rating. He still sounds basically human in his thinking. Not the greatest human and not the worst human.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
        Road of Humanity, probably at a middling rating. He still sounds basically human in his thinking. Not the greatest human and not the worst human.
        Honestly, i’m Not a big fan of humanity. Honestly would get a bit bored with it tbh. Plus i’d Have problems with the whole no theft thing, which would be very problematic

Comment

Humanity does seem the obvious choice, at a level below 7, because of the theft thing.

A traveler who sort of wants to study the occult, and remain a good person (professional pickpocketing aside) sounds like Road of Humanity, Path of Illumination.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
            Humanity does seem the obvious choice, at a level below 7, because of the theft thing.

A traveler who sort of wants to study the occult, and remain a good person (professional pickpocketing aside) sounds like Road of Humanity, Path of Illumination.
            That might work. Although I feel i’d Have to be at a very low level of humanity (3 or lower) because otherwise i’d just be far too moral to really fit in with my group

Comment

Why not play humanity and have him explore finding another option? So ride him exploring in play the path for him?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post

Illumination actually exchanges the level 7 sin, so pickpocketing is not a problem.

If it is possible to use a Path from the Rules for the modern age "The Path of Self-Focus" could also be an option and the background of your character would also fit with the origin of the Path.

Comment

Or make it a trade instead of a theft. Leave something for what you take. Should be okay to not violate the ethics of the path.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

You don't need to be low humanity if you are a thief, the books often have members of organized crime with humanity 5-6 and these are people that have committed murder.

What does this character believe in? Does he believe in his place with the children of Zao-lat? Does he have interest in the western kindred and his kin there? Is he an Atheist?

Is he eventually going to learn sorcery? Master the Soul?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      You don't need to be low humanity if you are a thief, the books often have members of organized crime with humanity 5-6 and these are people that have committed murder.

What does this character believe in? Does he believe in his place with the children of Zao-lat? Does he have interest in the western kindred and his kin there? Is he an Atheist?

Is he eventually going to learn sorcery? Master the Soul?
                      I think I eventually he does want to master the soul. He also wants his partner to master the soul too. He definitely will learn some sorcery, as he does have an interest in mages, if only a slight one currently. He and his scholar partner are travellers and they believe in their place with the children of Zao-lot, however he believes that to be a hidden and secretive role of intrigue that not even the closest of allies necessarily need to know about. They might not see eye to eye but they do trust each other. I’d say he has an interest in various cultures and can never stay still. Of course thanks to the Wan Kuei he couldn’t stay in China any more, even if this does suit him. I can see him taking quite a holistic approach to his interest in the soul, however he most certainly gets bogged down in detail (so a path that focuses in detail could work? I don’t think there is one)

His whole trading merchant thing is really just a cover for who he really is... (so a secretive path would work very very nicely)
                      Last edited by bob275; 04-07-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Well he could start human and explore either some form of self Mastery, like the Path of Inner Focus that came about from East and West interaction. Or a more transcendent approach, like the Road of Metamorphosis, with less focus on Vicissitude, and more on growing the Soul, and mastering the mystic arts to transcend their vampiric state. Or the Road of Bones or Death and the Soul?

Comment

Path of Vigor, that sounds like a good start for this Salubri until he finds a more transcendent path.

Comment

Originally posted by bob275 View Post
                            They might not see eye to eye but they do trust each other.
                            Don't you mean "eye to eye to eye"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Working...
                            X