I wish we had more diverse vampire art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

That's just a lazy excuse, if guys at White Wolf think like that I won't give them another penny (and I'm starting to think that they DO think like that) why do other games like Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu has decently thematic and concise art that carries the point across without looking uninspired?

Funny you mention Shadowrun. As a Shadowrun player, there are a ton of women in sexualized poses and skimpy and revealing outfits.

Which I LIKE, by the way.

Just thought it was interested that you mentioned Shadowrun in your comparison of a game that does art "right."

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

Funny you mention Shadowrun. As a Shadowrun player, there are a ton of women in sexualized poses and skimpy and revealing outfits.

Which I LIKE, by the way.

Just thought it was interested that you mentioned Shadowrun in your comparison of a game that does art "right."
      Yeah but even then the art quality is still far superior to the Photoshop slathered photography art that litter everything we get from White Wolf these days.

(Ps. I still can't get over Shadowrun's revolver stilettos, however)

Comment

not all Toreador wear the hippest street clothes and skin-revealing clubwear, not all Gangrel look like ragged hobos.

Then they aren't proper Toreador. They're some bastard, offshoot Caitiff!

And any Gangrel who doesn't have a disheveled look is probably 'domesticated.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Then they aren't proper Toreador. They're some bastard, offshoot Caitiff!

And any Gangrel who doesn't have a disheveled look is probably 'domesticated.'
          Uh uh, I disagree completely. You'd be surprised how many Gangrel Embrace politicians, lobbyists, industry kings and queens, and even corporate climbers. That real estate agent or sawmill entrepreneur who was revenge Embraced by a Gangrel? The politician Embraced by a Primogen who wanted advice on handling his position? The shark-like lawyer with the vicious personality and suits sharp as his fangs? Think original people...

Comment

Uh uh, I disagree completely. You'd be surprised how many Gangrel Embrace politicians, lobbyists, industry kings and queens, and even corporate climbers. That real estate agent or sawmill entrepreneur who was revenge Embraced by a Gangrel? The politician Embraced by a Primogen who wanted advice on handling his position? The shark-like lawyer with the vicious personality and suits sharp as his fangs? Think original people...

Like I said: Domesticated!

Or if you want to get technical, that sounds like those City Gangrel who run with the Sabbat. And, oh yeah, they don't have very long unlife expectancies.

Comment

Gangrel disciplines and weakness don't really lend themselves to competing with Ventrue or any high clan for money and political influence. A Gangrel embraced from the ranks of politicians and businespeople is going to find it increasingly hard to hold onto that money and power as his social traits drop. Even if he learns social disciplines, he's going to have a hard time powering them.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                Gangrel disciplines and weakness don't really lend themselves to competing with Ventrue or any high clan for money and political influence. A Gangrel embraced from the ranks of politicians and businespeople is going to find it increasingly hard to hold onto that money and power as his social traits drop. Even if he learns social disciplines, he's going to have a hard time powering them.
                There's at least three examples of such Gangrel in their Clanbook, so even if they're a minority they still exist.

Comment

Yeah but even then the art quality is still far superior to the Photoshop slathered photography art that litter everything we get from White Wolf these days.
                  Agree with you there.

Although, Wraith 20 has some good art, the art for World of Darkness books has dropped off BIG TIME over the last few years.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

(Ps. I still can't get over Shadowrun's revolver stilettos, however)
                    On one hand, I'm agreeing that traditional artworks work better. As I said many times, I just liked the lookout of the old books a lot more, because of the art style (stylized black and white).

On the other hand, we didn't see much artworks directly from WW this far. We've got some previews and a statement that V5 will be mostly photo-manipulated, which is something I'm still worried about, although I don't want to downplay the professionalism of the art director lady. It's just, since V20, I miss the old books' look. The BNS LARP books weren't to my tastes either, but on that case, I could understand the "LARP-ers posing in costume" looks, because, well, it's a LARP book.

On the other-other hand (we've got some Tzimisce, right?), the new drawn artworks on the WoD site and the ones shared on the berlin event's site last year are pretty good. I'd totally sign up for those and that artist's works being in the finished books.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Also, may i say, I'm not quite satisfied with Shadowrun's artworks. Half of it is quite decent, half of it has a distinct feel that I can't describe better than "cheap and lazy digital artworks". The kind of that feels plastic and just not high quality. A lot of them are also a lot "brighter" than I'd prefer for SR.

In that regard, they're somewhat the same as the OPP books.

I dunno, I admit the old artworks weren't stellar all the time neither, just, somehow, in black and white, the bad ones didn't stand out as much and the whole had a more stylistically unique and distinct feel to it.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post

Exactly. If we're going by the preconception that every vampire inevitably loses control regardless of their intentions, then it doesn't matter how educated or proper a Gangrel tries to act, they're inevitably going to slip up. And when that happens, they're going to pick up a few body parts they really shouldn't have. How is that corporate shark going to attend a board meeting when he's revealed to have grown a dorsal fin and several extra rows of serrated teeth? How's that politician going to hold a press conference if the stress caused by such an event causes them to spiral into frenzy in a crowded room with live news coverage?

Sophisticated Gangrel are a minority for good reason: They aren't cut out for it!

And as of V20, it explicitly says that City Gangrel don't live for very long. The clan's savage nature just isn't meant for civilized society.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Exactly. If we're going by the preconception that every vampire inevitably loses control regardless of their intentions, then it doesn't matter how educated or proper a Gangrel tries to act, they're inevitably going to slip up. And when that happens, they're going to pick up a few body parts they really shouldn't have. How is that corporate shark going to attend a board meeting when he's revealed to have grown a dorsal fin and several extra rows of serrated teeth? How's that politician going to hold a press conference if the stress caused by such an event causes them to spiral into frenzy in a crowded room with live news coverage?

Sophisticated Gangrel are a minority for good reason: They aren't cut out for it!

And as of V20, it explicitly says that City Gangrel don't live for very long. The clan's savage nature just isn't meant for civilized society.
                          Eh maybe I mixed up things with Requiem a bit too much

Comment

Well to be fair Sabbat in general don't live very long...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Well to be fair Sabbat in general don't live very long...

That's the shovelheads, and they're not even considered to be 'real' members of the Sabbat until after they've earned their creation rites.

Contrary to what the Camarilla would have you believe, the Sabbat do recognize the value of the Masquerade, but only in the sense that it ensures their immediate survival.

If they were the bunch of blood thirsty maniacs that everybody thinks they are, then the Masquerade would have been ruined long ago. Remember, they've seized control of at least 3 major cities since they were formed.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 04-18-2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Sabbat, not just shovelheads, still have a much much shorter life expectancy then Camarilla Kindred. They live violent lives and most won't live to Ancillae.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                                X