Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, about that Netflix series...

https://www.altpress.com/news/entry/...e_series_vwars

I think that ship might have sailed now. I can't see Netflix doing two different vampire series. Either this one is successful, and they already have a successful vampire series, or it flops and they avoid future similar projects.

So, where to next? Amazon Prime? Hulu?

i don't know,my gut says new white wolf will be fine. I Don't think they need a show y'know?

Comment

Both of those make sense. Honestly though, V:tM crossover media has been so weak in the past that I'm a little weary. There's a lot of room to screw things up, and I honestly think doing a show based on Mage would have a lot more potential, even if Vampire is the flagship game.

There are really only two ways I can see a Vampire show going well: the RPG actually has wonderful characters, so just base the story on characters that already exist, namely Anatole, Beckett, and Lucita, who are probably the strongest characters in the game. The other way is, make it a hardcore splatter show focused largely on the Sabbat. Besides those, I can really only think of things on the fringes of the game I'd be interested in seeing, like maybe following a nomadic group of anarchs.
      Last edited by Li Hai; 04-17-2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Netflix has a bunch of Vampire media right now. Having another wouldn't actually compete that much, it's more like synergy with their business model. Like one, get the other recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
          Netflix has a bunch of Vampire media right now. Having another wouldn't actually compete that much, it's more like synergy with their business model. Like one, get the other recommended.

Exactly I mean.. look at all the superhero series on Netflix. Its not like say ironfist stopped them from getting seasons of the Flash..

Though Honestly a slow burn Mage series that takes inspiration from Stranger Things would be the way to go in my mind.

Comment

With the success of LEGION, Mage could have an in.
            But the (serious adult) mage-type shows I can think of had a short life span; Dresden Files, Constantine.

People are always interested in Vampire shows, and V:TM can provide a very large range of themes and settings to match the desire of the market at the time.

Comment

With the success of LEGION, Mage could have an in.
              But the (serious adult) mage-type shows I can think of had a short life span; Dresden Files, Constantine.

People are always interested in Vampire shows, and V:TM can provide a very large range of themes and settings to match the desire of the market at the time.

the Magicians has had 3 seasons on syfy

My personal idea I'd do a Mage series that starts purely focused on the Technocracy and not play up any of the magical elements until the series in deep and then "WHAT THE FUCK MAGIC?"

If I did vampire.. I'd do John wick with Vampires. An auktaris bad ass settles down trying to get out of the Jyhad then some stupid neonate pokes him and he pulls himself back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

My personal idea I'd do a Mage series that starts purely focused on the Technocracy and not play up any of the magical elements until the series in deep and then "WHAT THE FUCK MAGIC?"
                That's actually a really cool idea.
                That said, another angle I think Mage has a lot of potential with, is exploring different cultures through the traditions and crafts. One of the most interesting and valuable parts of M:tA has always been sort of the anthropological angle... whether it's Mongolian shaman Dreamspeakers, Mr. Robot-style computer hacker Virtual Adepts, Afghan warlord Taftâni, mountain men Verbena, Haitian voodoo Bata'a, a wandering hero Akashic, or whatever. It just seems like a cool lens to explore a lot of different world cultures/perspectives, especially with its subjective paradigm framework, that accepts everybody on their own terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Li Hai View Post
                  That's actually a really cool idea.
                  That said, another angle I think Mage has a lot of potential with, is exploring different cultures through the traditions and crafts. One of the most interesting and valuable parts of M:tA has always been sort of the anthropological angle... whether it's Mongolian shaman Dreamspeakers, Mr. Robot-style computer hacker Virtual Adepts, Afghan warlord Taftâni, mountain men Verbena, Haitian voodoo Bata'a, a wandering hero Akashic, or whatever. It just seems like a cool lens to explore a lot of different world cultures/perspectives, especially with its subjective paradigm framework, that accepts everybody on their own terms.

Well I like the three episodes anime rule, it builds up a sense of reality then allows the twist to sort of coincide with the character awakening. I would go into other things with Mage but I think you only get one chance to pull the rug out and give that sense of "anything is possible". So start with a simple conspiracy, then build up "they have super tech" then its coming for the view point character.. and then magick. The view point character awakens and suddenly there's a kungfu master beating down a cyborg then genre twists as the view point character's view changes.

Comment

the Magicians has had 3 seasons on syfy
                    It didn't come to mind a the time, but I did enjoy what I watched of it.

Comment

Sure, they have the rights to show a bunch of stuff, but they aren't paying the production costs for them.

Comment

I think people would like Beckett and Theo Bell.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzburger View Post

Sure, they have the rights to show a bunch of stuff, but they aren't paying the production costs for them.

They are paying to make a second Ironfist series their standards can't be that high.

Comment

Hmm...

Honestly I feel like the Traditions are the best introduction to Mage. Wonder and scale could be incredible. The "twist" could simply be that most Magick doesn't look magical. The fact that CEOs and research doctors and movie stars can be Mages, that you can use a magic wand, or a gun or shades or a red dress or a hostile takeover...

Comment

The main issue with White Wolf game lines is that they would in general be very special affects heavy, which would drive the production costs up and create time delays. If you rewatch the old Kindred the Embraced series you can see where they tried to use camera tricks and plot lines to avoid production costs.

A ​V:tM based series has a few issues to overcome. First is the series set from the mortal point of view or the vampire point of view primarily. If you make it about mortals learning about the world of darkness, then it quickly becomes either a buffy clone or an x-files sort of thing. If it is from the vampire point of view it either becomes melrose place with fangs because its the same old relationship BS with a supernatural twist or it becomes a redemption arch sort of storyline like what the old Forever Knight series. Let's face it, having a sabbat focused series where the path of humanity is no where to be found would be a bit too much horror for most audiences.

​A Mage based series sounds interesting at first, until you try to adapt the mechanics in mage to something that can be understood on a tv show. A lot of Mage mechanics boil down to very granular rules and dice rolls, which means they wouldn't adapt well to a tv series because you either bog down the entire series with exposition to explain it all or you leave the setting "rules light" and that leaves the audience often feeling like rules are based on the needs of the episode.

​A werewolf based series lives or dies on its war form and dire wolf production levels, see the underworld and twilight movies for how much that can fluctuate in quality.

​A Hunter series..... just watch the first four seasons of Supernatural before it went all meta on fan girl pandering.

Comment

Working...
                              X