Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Portray A Post Gehenna World?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How To Portray A Post Gehenna World?

    Hello all. So most of us are aware that in v5,Gehenna happened in some way. But the society of vampires continues. I'd like you guys to help me do the same thing with v20,cause v5 will only have seven clans in the beginning. There's no v5 occult clans,rare bloodlines or infernalism just yet,that will show up later. And sometimes i feel the urge to play with bloodlines,occult clans,infernalism and all that. But,v20 and revised
    is chock full of Gehenna prophecies,there's Time of Thin Blood and all that.So, how can i play a post gehenna world in v20? My definition of "Post Gehenna World" is:

    1)There's at least some truth to the prophecies of the Book of Nod,the Ercyes Fragments and some of other sources of prophecies.
    2) the events of the prophecies happened. Now,those events could be near anything,but they have to conform to some interpretation of the prophecies. But they can be as different from Fair Is Foul,Wormwood and etc as those events are different from each other. But they have to pass leaving the basics of the setting unchanged,a vampire who survives gehenna can still do everything mundane or magical they could have done before the apocalypse. Disciplines still work,mortal blood can be drunk,. No changes on the nature of vampirism,y'know?
    3)the setting itself changes,may the Antedilluvians eliminated part of a sect,maybe Caine is now proven to be real. Etc..,
    So,bearing that in mind. Can anyone help me create a post Gehanna world for v20?
    4) I want Gehenna to affect vampire society alone,the masquerade stands if you please
    Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 05-06-2018, 09:39 PM.

  • #2
    My prediction is that Gehenna will be an excuse to distill the clans down to whatever they want to keep for this soft reboot and tie off all the metaplot threads they don't want to keep. Otherwise, we don't hear much about Gehenna. The point is a streamlined Vampire minus looming Gehenna and plus better continuity.

    A "post-Decimation Vampire" to Requiem's "Ultimate Vampire".

    Comment


    • #3
      Just as a clarification, V5 doesn't posit that Gehenna happened; it's positing that a Gehenna is//might be happening right now, but it's more of a 1e style Gehenna, which was less like the Gehenna book scenarios. They've stated more than once these things still exist, as exampled by them showing up left, right and center in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, which is the official plot lead in to V5. They just won't be written up in the core book, which is a deliberate throwback to 1e where those things weren't written up either.

      That said, if you wanted to look at post-apocalypse vampire stuff, there's no better resource than Vampire Hunter D.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by elmerg View Post
        Just as a clarification, V5 doesn't posit that Gehenna happened; it's positing that a Gehenna is//might be happening right now, but it's more of a 1e style Gehenna, which was less like the Gehenna book scenarios. They've stated more than once these things still exist, as exampled by them showing up left, right and center in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, which is the official plot lead in to V5. They just won't be written up in the core book, which is a deliberate throwback to 1e where those things weren't written up either.

        That said, if you wanted to look at post-apocalypse vampire stuff, there's no better resource than Vampire Hunter D.
        Oh Crap :c. I forgot to mention that I wanted human society unchanged. That's why I said "Post Gehenna" and not "post-apocalypse"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
          Oh Crap :c. I forgot to mention that I wanted human society unchanged. That's why I said "Post Gehenna" and not "post-apocalypse"

          No worries. Gehenna is often synonymous with apocalypse, so it's immediately where my mind went.

          Comment


          • #6
            Remove anything lower than 6th gen from the game. Cut the number of 6 and 7th gens down to around 5ish per clan. Most "elder" positions are held by the 8th gen(Princes, Heirophants etc...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lian View Post
              Remove anything lower than 6th gen from the game. Cut the number of 6 and 7th gens down to around 5ish per clan. Most "elder" positions are held by the 8th gen(Princes, Heirophants etc...)
              That can work. What you would say happened to the older generation?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                That can work. What you would say happened to the older generation?
                Gehenna. That seems to be the v5 metaplot most fo the elders went to go fight Gehenna the sabbat followed. Much of that war was covered up by the various middle Eastern conflicts. Power has been trimmed from the top.

                And if you believe the Laibon all will grow fat again and the cycle will continue.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My idea for a post-Gehenna game I ran a while back was only Caitiff and a small selection of rare bloodlines survive Wormwood.

                  The rationale is that these are bloodlines that mixed their blood with that of spirits other than the angel sent to carry out God's curse on Cain. That is to say:

                  Kiasyd
                  Ahrimanes
                  Baali
                  Children of Osiris
                  Gargoyles

                  Dhampir and revenants also survive. Plus, the dhampir gene seems to be dominant, unlike the shapeshifter and revenant genes, which spells an odd future for human evolution. In a way, the vampiric curse has redeemed itself and been integrated back into the normal life cycle.

                  The Kiasyd were the most prepared. They knew the most about the other survivors, and were even able to guess who would survive something like this.

                  The Kiasyd quickly rally the Ahrimanes, Panders, and newly-freed Gargoyles into a new sect called the Millennium Compact, which has grown at an alarming rate. When the Red Fog hit in 2003, vampires went down to less than one in a million humans. Fifteen years later, they're up to two in a million. As a result of the naivete of this explosion of childers from inhuman looking bloodlines, the masquerade has greatly weakened. Though not too badly, because there still aren't that many vampires to hunt, and almost half of them know what they're doing.

                  Meanwhile, the Baali have suffered a crisis of faith. You see, the Baali were the last ones who expected to be spared from God's wrath. Were they not evil enough? Does God just not care?

                  As a result, many Baali have fled to seek redemption among the Children of Osiris. Others have sought material success without bothering to corrupt others along the way. Many more have sought the sun.

                  So basically, low-power emerging supers setting with a confused vampire population that's rapidly becoming bottom-heavy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Sluagh View Post
                    My idea for a post-Gehenna game I ran a while back was only Caitiff and a small selection of rare bloodlines survive Wormwood.

                    The rationale is that these are bloodlines that mixed their blood with that of spirits other than the angel sent to carry out God's curse on Cain. That is to say:

                    Kiasyd
                    Ahrimanes
                    Baali
                    Children of Osiris
                    Gargoyles

                    Dhampir and revenants also survive. Plus, the dhampir gene seems to be dominant, unlike the shapeshifter and revenant genes, which spells an odd future for human evolution. In a way, the vampiric curse has redeemed itself and been integrated back into the normal life cycle.

                    The Kiasyd were the most prepared. They knew the most about the other survivors, and were even able to guess who would survive something like this.

                    The Kiasyd quickly rally the Ahrimanes, Panders, and newly-freed Gargoyles into a new sect called the Millennium Compact, which has grown at an alarming rate. When the Red Fog hit in 2003, vampires went down to less than one in a million humans. Fifteen years later, they're up to two in a million. As a result of the naivete of this explosion of childers from inhuman looking bloodlines, the masquerade has greatly weakened. Though not too badly, because there still aren't that many vampires to hunt, and almost half of them know what they're doing.

                    Meanwhile, the Baali have suffered a crisis of faith. You see, the Baali were the last ones who expected to be spared from God's wrath. Were they not evil enough? Does God just not care?

                    As a result, many Baali have fled to seek redemption among the Children of Osiris. Others have sought material success without bothering to corrupt others along the way. Many more have sought the sun.

                    So basically, low-power emerging supers setting with a confused vampire population that's rapidly becoming bottom-heavy.
                    That's straight up amazing. I'll use some of it when I try to homebrew a setting for v20. Maybe I'll post it on the storyteller's vault.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lian View Post
                      Gehenna. That seems to be the v5 metaplot most fo the elders went to go fight Gehenna the sabbat followed. Much of that war was covered up by the various middle Eastern conflicts. Power has been trimmed from the top.
                      The metaplot seems to be that elders are called to the Middle-East, by who for what purpose is yet unknown. But it could be rising Methuselahs wanting to slake their thirst on the elders. The Sabbat went to the Middle-East to fight whatever called the elders there. The elders don't really want to fight Gehenna, but had no choice but to go.

                      As for a post-gehenna world: initially WWE said that you could follow the metaplot without switching to the new V5 system, but could also continue playing previous versions of Vampire and still use the metaplot stuff. So you could just wait till August and incorporate the changes into your V20 chronicle. By the way, the only book mentioned not to be cannon any longer was AFAIK Gehenna. Since that book only presented options, it's not a big deal anyway.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've thought about this more often than I'd care to admit since the ending of 3rd and before the start of V20.

                        I've had in my head that the world did end, at some point in Gehenna. The characters were fighting for their lives. Cain had risen, Lucifer was present, and the new God (yes you read that right) had just taken the reigns. Their's the show down with Lilith and her brood. Life, death, glory and what-not are all in the making.

                        As the dust settles, the surviving members of the group see The new God ascend unto her throne (what else did you think was going to happen to the last daughter of Eve?) Things go white.

                        They wake up the next day and I make them start rolling. The world is as it was. Politicians are lying, people are going to work, birds are in the trees etc. No mention of the apocalypse except for on fringe sites and papers. In fact some don't even remember it happening. Those that made their rolls do though, roughly.

                        Over time some of those that remember start interacting and piecing things together. Reality was reset. Some say it was saved, others aren't so sure. But either way they still exist or exist again (it gets confusing). Some things are as they've always been, some things have changed. There's a general unease to the nights, like walking on egg shells. Powerful Princes deny anything ever happened. The headlines of apocalypse and doom aren't even there anymore. But if you look closely you still see a few of the gaps. Thins that weren't washed over so completely, or others that remember the apocalypse like you do.

                        After a time the political powerhouses fall, whether to internal or external stress it's difficult to say. The Camarilla and Sabbat crumble, long held bastions of power suddenly up for grabs. Those in power try to preserve the traditions form the old days (think Dark Ages). But individual cities are now countries unto their own, they have their own power structure, it's not the mass anarchy and disorder from the time of the Apocalypse you try to recall, it seems to have more order to it. In the wilderness the Lupines howl, the Changelings play their games, Mages scheme for more power, the dead... well we don't talk about the Shadowlands...


                        So there it is:
                        - New God. She's still learning the job. She tried putting things back the way they were but not evey thing fits. Cracks in the glass of reality never really go together right after it's been broken.
                        - World still revolves, season happen etc
                        - no more Cam v Sabbat. But the elders still scheme and plot and revenge. you just have a larger base to play with now.
                        - Lots of room to edit things as you like.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Murder-of-Crows View Post

                          The metaplot seems to be that elders are called to the Middle-East, by who for what purpose is yet unknown. But it could be rising Methuselahs wanting to slake their thirst on the elders. The Sabbat went to the Middle-East to fight whatever called the elders there. The elders don't really want to fight Gehenna, but had no choice but to go.

                          As for a post-gehenna world: initially WWE said that you could follow the metaplot without switching to the new V5 system, but could also continue playing previous versions of Vampire and still use the metaplot stuff. So you could just wait till August and incorporate the changes into your V20 chronicle. By the way, the only book mentioned not to be cannon any longer was AFAIK Gehenna. Since that book only presented options, it's not a big deal anyway.
                          Thanks for the help. I'll try to incorporate the new metaphor with older editions,but I don't know what it will be exactly. So I decided to look for other options.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sidious View Post
                            I've thought about this more often than I'd care to admit since the ending of 3rd and before the start of V20.

                            I've had in my head that the world did end, at some point in Gehenna. The characters were fighting for their lives. Cain had risen, Lucifer was present, and the new God (yes you read that right) had just taken the reigns. Their's the show down with Lilith and her brood. Life, death, glory and what-not are all in the making.

                            As the dust settles, the surviving members of the group see The new God ascend unto her throne (what else did you think was going to happen to the last daughter of Eve?) Things go white.

                            They wake up the next day and I make them start rolling. The world is as it was. Politicians are lying, people are going to work, birds are in the trees etc. No mention of the apocalypse except for on fringe sites and papers. In fact some don't even remember it happening. Those that made their rolls do though, roughly.

                            Over time some of those that remember start interacting and piecing things together. Reality was reset. Some say it was saved, others aren't so sure. But either way they still exist or exist again (it gets confusing). Some things are as they've always been, some things have changed. There's a general unease to the nights, like walking on egg shells. Powerful Princes deny anything ever happened. The headlines of apocalypse and doom aren't even there anymore. But if you look closely you still see a few of the gaps. Thins that weren't washed over so completely, or others that remember the apocalypse like you do.

                            After a time the political powerhouses fall, whether to internal or external stress it's difficult to say. The Camarilla and Sabbat crumble, long held bastions of power suddenly up for grabs. Those in power try to preserve the traditions form the old days (think Dark Ages). But individual cities are now countries unto their own, they have their own power structure, it's not the mass anarchy and disorder from the time of the Apocalypse you try to recall, it seems to have more order to it. In the wilderness the Lupines howl, the Changelings play their games, Mages scheme for more power, the dead... well we don't talk about the Shadowlands...


                            So there it is:
                            - New God. She's still learning the job. She tried putting things back the way they were but not evey thing fits. Cracks in the glass of reality never really go together right after it's been broken.
                            - World still revolves, season happen etc
                            - no more Cam v Sabbat. But the elders still scheme and plot and revenge. you just have a larger base to play with now.
                            - Lots of room to edit things as you like.
                            I like it a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong. If a group of powerful vampires survives,they could try to raise a new sect to their image,right?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

                              I like it a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong. If a group of powerful vampires survives,they could try to raise a new sect to their image,right?

                              Entirely up to them/you. I like the freedom the setting gives you to play with things.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X