How To Portray A Post Gehenna World?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Just a suggestion, but since part of the prophecy talks about Caitiff becoming the dominant force among Kindred, your setting could involve Caitiff manifesting at lower generations than they did prior to Gehenna. So instead of being a 14th or 15 gen, you have them popping up around 6th or 7th generation.
    Assuming neonates of that generation live long enough to get enough disciplines under their belt to protect themselves, sure. Generation's nice, but in a fight between a 6th generation neonate and a 13th generation ancilla or elder, all other things being equal, I'll put my money on the older vampire every time. 9th and 8th generation neonates already have incredibly tough rows to hoe keeping their souls in their own bodies, imagine the cat-5 hellstorm awaiting any 7th or 6th generation neonate, let alone one without the support of a clan, if their generation becomes known.

They'd better get real good at Auspex and Fortitude, real fast, and pick up some Celerity and Obfuscate along the way, or the only place they're headed is the dinner plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

Assuming neonates of that generation live long enough to get enough disciplines under their belt to protect themselves, sure. Generation's nice, but in a fight between a 6th generation neonate and a 13th generation ancilla or elder, all other things being equal, I'll put my money on the older vampire every time. 9th and 8th generation neonates already have incredibly tough rows to hoe keeping their souls in their own bodies, imagine the cat-5 hellstorm awaiting any 7th or 6th generation neonate, let alone one without the support of a clan, if their generation becomes known.

They'd better get real good at Auspex and Fortitude, real fast, and pick up some Celerity and Obfuscate along the way, or the only place they're headed is the dinner plate.

Well, there's always the... Panders...

I don't know much about them, but I believe they earned (demanded) the Sabbat's respect by launching an organized rebellion against the sect. And with the Sabbat having a tendency to organize entire raiding parties for the purpose of diablerizing elders, it stands to reason they'd be able to gang up on one such vampire, rather than attacking them solo.

Comment

@Nosimplehiway

I really enjoyed your write up. It actually fits 85% of what I have been slimming the world down to.

I dropped all the clans save for Brujah, Nosferatu, toreador, and Ventrue. At the beginning I was going to leave Gangrel but the first problem is that after a year or two they look like a cross between an Owlbear and a Manticore and communicate through squawks and growls as all there social stats are 0. Just as bad is for me Protean which I think is very badly balanced (Level 2 comes to mind right off the bat) on top of not fitting the feel I am going for in my games.

I took the word of the game designers that wizards lose there magic after the embrace and dropped all blood magic, Thaumaturgy being the most power gamer discipline of brokenness the game has ever seen. I actually just allow Animalism, Auspex, Celerity(modified), Dominate, Fortitude, Obfuscate, Potency, and Presence. the Lowest Generation left in the world is sixth since I don't think 6 and 7 powers are too game breaking yet there is a nice separation of power from the majority 8th-13th generations.

As for Clans that are missing? Giovanni are just Ventrue who were all embraced from the same mortal family, Assamites are just Brujah in an assassins guild, Malkavians are just one of the four with a derangement, etc...

Comment

Vamps Like Us

Thank you, that's nice of you to say.

In my write-up... which was purely off the top of my head, as evidenced by the rambley sentence structure... you could maybe see that I have a small grudge against clans with proprietary disciplines. Necromancy, Thaumaturgy, Vicissitude, Obtenebration, Quietus, and Obeah all got the axe. Not that every one of them is horrible. They all have a place as bizarre, alien disciplines wielded by scary individuals. When they are "owned" by a particular clan or bloodline, though, it takes some of the mystery out of it, for me. Besides, I just think that, as far as character development and the narrative arc go, the core disciplines usually get the job done.

My one exception is Protean. Did you notice I had Tezcatlipoca, of the Tlacique, diablerize Set? This makes Protean a discipline held by more than one clan... thus making it, technically, a common discipline. Yes, I know... not that simple... but still, it opens things up.

I actually kind of like Protean, especially for the Gangrel.

Young Gangrel get shafted on their discipline spread. They can see in the dark, which is useful enough, I suppose, though the mechanics of acting in darkness are pretty generous. They have a tiny bit of resistance to injury, which only exists in a probablistic way, and it's unlikely any one fledgling could prove they even know Fortitude 1. And they can talk to animals. Well, one animal. If they can get the animal to sit still and make eye contact. Once you've done that with an animal, how much more do you need from them, really?

They have no social disciplines, no obfuscate, no super-human senses (in spite of the fluff constantly having them sniff the air and brag about their animal instincts), and no super speed or strength, besides blood-pumping, of course. Really, a fledgling Gangrel is kind of screwed.

But, then the next few levels of their disciplines start to kick in. Claws that gouge concrete, a mobile haven, looking like Aquaman when they summon fish to the dish, and shrugging off bullets and blades on a reliable basis. It sets up the Gangrel for a rags-to-riches narrative arc.

They start like a foundling waif, licking blood from the floors of slaughter houses and sleeping in abandoned steam tunnels, but give 'em a few years, and they grow into a bad-ass Grizzly Addams.

So, I kept 'em around.

Comment

Nosimplehiway

I don't think they so much own those disciplines as rather it's very difficult for anyone to get their hands on them. These disciplines are the bread and butter of their respective clans and are essential to their power structure, so they aren't likely to willingly surrender them. Or, in the case of Vicissitude, nobody would even want them to if they did offer it.

Pretty much everybody can get their hands on Thaumaturgy now, since there's different schools between the various sects. Not just the Camarilla, but the Anarchs, Sabbat and even the Independents can all learn some version of Blood Magic. Just not the Tremere's specific version.

There are also various bloodlines who have obtained some level of Necromancy, such as the Nagaraja, Harbingers of Skulls, or the Samedi. And the details on whether or not they are connected to the Giovanni are left up to ST interpretation.

Of course Obeah is going to be extremely rare, because there's only like 7 (healer) Salubri left on the planet!

Comment

Working...
            X