Best VtM Fiction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best VtM Fiction?

I noticed a lot of the Vampire fiction is being made available again. I am looking for some good popcorn fiction while I heal. So out of the Dark Ages and modern book, which are worth the read.

I have read Gehenna novel, and the Masquerade of the Red Death (yes, you can laugh). If anyone has a favorite they can recommend (with spoiler free review pretty please?) I would love to look into getting some.

My Homebrew
    Star Wars d10
    The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
    Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

If you don't mind going outside the Modern/DA era, the Victorian Age Vampire trilogy is a solid read.

Comment

The Setite clan novels (Dark Ages and Masquerade) are excellent.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post

I have read Gehenna novel, and the Masquerade of the Red Death (yes, you can laugh). If anyone has a favorite they can recommend (with spoiler free review pretty please?) I would love to look into getting some.
        I wouldn't laugh. The Red Death trilogy was very well written adventure mystery. It was just more comic book superpower/name dropping than horror. I think both 13 book sets of the clan novels failed. I actually think second & especially third edition turned the Sabbat and world of Darkness into a cartoon version of itself. There were some very early novels/anthologies I remember that I don't see for sale yet.

I'd say read the Victorian Age trilogy or hope for better novels to come out with 5th edition

Comment

The Dark Ages clan novel series is my favorite of all the fiction WW ever produced. It's a thirteen-book series that goes from the Fall of Constantinople in 1204 through to the Omen War and the start of the War of Princes in the 1220s, taking in Constantinople, the fall of Prince Alexander's regime in Paris, the Albigensian Crusade and the start of the Shadow Inquisition, a key point in Vykos backstory which is revisited in Becket's Jyhad Diary, and the fall of the Telyavic Tremere en route.

Comment

The Masquerade of the Red Death was an entertaining read. Also, tge original anthology: "A Beast I am" was quite solid. I enjoyed "Prince of the City", the story of Vannevar Thomas. The Victorian Age Trilogy was quite good as well, Also, the Brujah Clan Novel Trilogy sticks out in my mind, as well as the Lasombra Clan Novel Trilogy. Both were quite interesting storywise.

Both Clan Novel Series were often hit-and-miss. Good books, boring books, strange books, a really mixed bag.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
              The Setite clan novels (Dark Ages and Masquerade) are excellent.
              Agreed. The Masquerade novel for Setite was easily my favorite of the Clan Novels. I'm also partial to the Ravnos novel from the same series, as it's a soft sequel that continues many of the character and plot threads from Setite.

Comment

The four omnibus volumes of the clan novels are better by far than the divided ones. The editing seems to me to be better all around, giving more weight to the story itself than individual clans. And the chronology of events isn't all over the place. But to my dismay, last time I checked, they were not in epub, but pdf
                The Victorian trilogy is a good read, as is, even if it's not Masquerade, the Dark Ages clans novels.
                And yes,
                The Masquerade of the Red Death was an entertaining read
                ^^

Comment

The Lasombra Trilogy and the Year of the Scarab Trilogy are both well written and interesting.

​My favorite clan novels are Gangrel, Giovanni, and Assamite.

Comment

I actually wonder sometimes how much my attitude to WoD was colored by having the first contacts with it from Masquerade of the Red Death and Horizon War...

I mean, I just don't have the aversion toward "name dropping" and signature characters and epic storylines and generally "high level play" style stories and lots of action than some Vamp/WoD fans (or even writers) seem to have. I've always seen the game and setting as soemthing that has ample potential for very personal horror and street-level focused stories, but for epicness as well and honestly, I like both.

That said, I liked the Brujah trilogy.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

The Victorian Age trilogy are a very solid choice and prortrais Beckett and Anatole far better than are in the Clanbook series.

Comment

Another vote for the Victorian Age trilogy here. It really hit the right notes for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X