Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(VTM 1E) A Crossover of Vampire and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (VTM 1E) A Crossover of Vampire and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?

Alright, I had a strange yet compelling idea for a potential long-running sandbox campaign for Vampire: The Masquerade, done in the old-school style of First Edition, complete with the setting assumptions and aesthetics of First Edition (No Metaplot, Gothic-Punk atmosphere, Elders vs. Anarchs as the main focus, etc.) that is set in the same place and time as the classic 2004 video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas which is set in the fictional American state of San Andreas in the year 1992 (1992 also coincides with the heyday of V1) and while this may seem unusual, there is a reason for why I think it would work.

The State of San Andreas has a lot of interesting locations including the three cities of Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas (based on Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas respectively) and a lot of open rural countryside. Also, more than any other video game of its time, GTA: San Andreas has a lot of myths, weird rumors, and urban legends attached to it, including Bigfoot, UFO's, ghosts, Leatherface, and a lot of other paranormal and supernatural strangeness.

Most of the so-called myths surrounding San Andreas were later proved to be false (though a small handful such as ghost cars and the mass grave in the desert turned out to be real) but if one were to set a Vampire: The Masquerade game in San Andreas, you could make some of those myths and urban legends a reality within your chronicle's story and setting. Especially if you follow the styles and setting assumptions of 1E, which was a lot more open, mysterious, and downright weird than the later editions. 1E and its supplements were more of a toolkit and a sandbox than later editions of Vampire (especially Revised and the upcoming V5) due to its noted lack of metaplot, especially when compared to the later versions of the game. So, naturally this could allow for the inclusion of many of these myths and legends surrounding GTA: SA.

Some things that I would include in a potential VTM 1E/GTA: San Andreas crossover that are worth noting would be the following....

1. The setting of the chronicle would explicitly be 1992 CE. That way, you can avoid the worst of the metaplot while pacifying the more hardcore metaplot purists by ostensibly setting the game before a lot of major and potentially off-putting metaplot events (Gangrel going Independent, Week of Nightmares, Ur-Shulgi, etc.)

2. Only the core seven Camarilla clans would be playable (Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, Ventrue) and the Gangrel are explicitly stated to be in the Camarilla (while the Assamites and Setites are explicitly stated to NOT be in it). The Sabbat and Independent clans would exist, but would be rare and reserved only for NPC's. And yes, the Ravnos are a full clan in this one.

3. The other denizens of the World of Darkness would be less defined and a lot closer to their depictions and descriptions in the 1E corebook's Antagonist section and other 1E books (such as Mummy and The Hunters Hunted) than how they would later turn out in their own gamelines. So rather than dealing with Garou and Awakened, you'd have more mechanically compatible Lupines and Magi. There would be no Kuei-Jin or Fallen (you had East Asian Cainites in 1E such as the Gaki, while the only demon in V1 that I can think of is Gulfora from Chicago By Night) and there is the potential of other monsters and strange creatures outside of the usual WoD roster that could show up (such as Bigfoot)

4. The setting would be a lot more vague and mysterious, and your ties to the mortal world would be emphasized a lot more, especially if you are a Neonate or Anarch.

5. At the beginning of the campaign, only Mortals and Vampires are playable. I may allow more experienced players play as Lupines, Magi, Ghosts, Faeries, Mummies, or Sailor Scouts if the chronicle advances far enough, but that would be a rare occurrence and on a case-by-case basis. Most of the other supernatural beings in this iteration of the setting would be NPC-only.

6. The campaign would start out as a very decentralized sandbox campaign focusing on player-driven individual narratives, but an over-arching and central "Myth Arc" could develop over time.

7. The chronicle would incorporate multiple themes based on player choices, and would not be dominated by one specific theme. At least not at first, anyway.

Oh i'm so in! Been itching to play a Brujah outsie of Bloodlines for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
      Oh i'm so in! Been itching to play a Brujah outsie of Bloodlines for a while

I would love to have you on board! I'll try to get this going as a Play By Post game really soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post

I would love to have you on board! I'll try to get this going as a Play By Post game really soon!
        Thanks Camila

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Thanks Camila
          No problem, my good man. This is a dream chronicle for me.

Comment

How does play by post work?

Comment

Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post
              How does play by post work?

You play over a forum and role-play by making forum posts in-character.

Comment

Vampires + Grand Theft Auto:

Funny, I thought that was called a Sabbat chronicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  Vampires + Grand Theft Auto:

Funny, I thought that was called a Sabbat chronicle?

It could also be an Anarch chronicle. GTA isn't just mindless mayhem and carnage, it does have a good storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post

It could also be an Anarch chronicle. GTA isn't just mindless mayhem and carnage, it does have a good storyline.

True, but it was the mindless mayhem glitch with the police chases that made GTA into the popular series it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

True, but it was the mindless mayhem glitch with the police chases that made GTA into the popular series it is today.

That is true.

Comment

Sounds interesting. We also did a play by post campaign inspired in sandbox computer games some years ago.

To make it more "gamelike" and dynamic (pbp games tend to eternalize with digressions in my experience), I designed some locations where players could make contact with NPCs that offered quests.

Quests had to be short, intense and rewarding: experience points, special items and background points are the obvious choices to reward a character when he finishes a quest.

Comment

Originally posted by algive View Post
                          Sounds interesting. We also did a play by post campaign inspired in sandbox computer games some years ago.

To make it more "gamelike" and dynamic (pbp games tend to eternalize with digressions in my experience), I designed some locations where players could make contact with NPCs that offered quests.

Quests had to be short, intense and rewarding: experience points, special items and background points are the obvious choices to reward a character when he finishes a quest.
                          I like that idea and I will definitely borrow it. Thanks.

Comment

Colour me interested.

sounds like a really interesting premises and PbP might work a bit better with my schedule than trying to find a group around here (shift work in an operational environment).

Comment

Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
                              Colour me interested.

sounds like a really interesting premises and PbP might work a bit better with my schedule than trying to find a group around here (shift work in an operational environment).

I'd love to have you on board!

Comment

Working...
                              X