Classic Vampire: the Masquerade (1991 - 2017) Facebook group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Vampire: the Masquerade (1991 - 2017) Facebook group

Facebook community for those that will stick to familiar versions of Vampire: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1823749454335156/

I don't mean to offend or question the personal preferences... buuuuuut isn't it a bit too early to decide?
    I might stick to the old version myself but I'd prefer to choose after giving a shot to the new book.

101 simple plot ideas for VtM

Comment

It might be a bit early but the things we do know about V5 are not promising by any means. The mechanics we've seen are not V:TM, and although I'm a bit behind on what the setting will be like but based on what I have seen it is going full 90's edgelord and giving up the 20 years of progress that the setting has gained.

Comment

Originally posted by stanlemon View Post
        It might be a bit early but the things we do know about V5 are not promising by any means. The mechanics we've seen are not V:TM, and although I'm a bit behind on what the setting will be like but based on what I have seen it is going full 90's edgelord and giving up the 20 years of progress that the setting has gained.
        Yeah I hear you about the edgelordy thing my friend.
        But for the mechanics thing... I dunno. It might be due to having played almost all the editions of D&D (and rule-wise they're not editions but different games really) but the only one that made me think "it's not D&D" is the 4th. But it's not like that 2nd, 3rd and 5th have the same rules.
        I dunno... If I would have chosen to stick to something familiar I'd probably still play 3rd edition D&D (shudders) and also never tried something with ST system.
        But I also perfectly understand the comfort of sticking to the same ruleset used in the last 20 years, especially if the gamer doesn't feel anything's wrong with that ruleset.
        So I'm understanding, but also a bit conflicted.
        I suppose I simply didn't like the sound of "familiar" due to personal experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Ravnos View Post
          I don't mean to offend or question the personal preferences... buuuuuut isn't it a bit too early to decide?
          I might stick to the old version myself but I'd prefer to choose after giving a shot to the new book.
          I agree, going back to first edition feel is a good thing if true, however I am a bit loath to trust they can remake the game rules after VTR. nothing wrong with planning ahead in case the bottom falls out.

Sadly I don't facebook but if it can be viewed by the public ill check it out now and then.
          Last edited by Vamps Like Us; 06-15-2018, 05:27 PM. Reason: Ah guess you need a facebook account, good luck with the site :)

Comment

But for the mechanics thing... I dunno. It might be due to having played almost all the editions of D&D (and rule-wise they're not editions but different games really) but the only one that made me think "it's not D&D" is the 4th. But it's not like that 2nd, 3rd and 5th have the same rules.
            I dunno... If I would have chosen to stick to something familiar I'd probably still play 3rd edition D&D (shudders) and also never tried something with ST system.
            But I also perfectly understand the comfort of sticking to the same ruleset used in the last 20 years, especially if the gamer doesn't feel anything's wrong with that ruleset.
            So I'm understanding, but also a bit conflicted.
            I suppose I simply didn't like the sound of "familiar" due to personal experiences
            I think one can know if they'll like a game if they've read it(In this case the demo). I love 5th Edition D&D, but I don't care for it's predecessors. That said, I hated the books for Nobilis 3rd, so I feel no need to play it when 2nd is way better written (and less pink). I play lots of games while setting many aside after reading the, and I feel at least that enough info is out about V5th to make an informed decision.

Also for someone like me who likes to mix the games a major overhaul would mean I'd have to wait for new games to trickle out. I'm still waiting on DtF, Wraith, and Hunter 20! Like heck I want to wait for a bunch of 5th ed. books. I'm pretty new so familiarity isn't the problem for me. I just don't like the new mechanics. (I bought Hunter and Vampire20 last December for reference so I also find it hard to justify buying into a new edition so soon either way.)

That being said let me say that I have no problems whatsoever with people who do want to transition to 5th ed. to each his own. I just see 5th edition in a similar light to why I didn't buy into newWoD. Not my jam personally, but it's good for others I'm sure. I just did my research before diving in so I would know what I like.

Comment

I don't so much have a problem with change of mechanics so much as a change of mechanics that completely change the feel of the game and setting which is something the currently released rules for V5 do for me.

Comment

I don't so much have a problem with change of mechanics so much as a change of mechanics that completely change the feel of the game and setting which is something the currently released rules for V5 do for me.
                I agree. I wouldn't use a lot of the new stuff. I hope they make really cool settings though. Give some well fleshed out cities for example and it would be worth a read.

Comment

I understand. I'm waiting to see if they toned down some aspects of their design given all the negative feedback.
                  5th edition D&D revived my old dead love for D&D. I suppose I'm hopeful for this V5 due to that

Comment

I understand. I'm waiting to see if they toned down some aspects of their design given all the negative feedback.
                    5th edition D&D revived my old dead love for D&D. I suppose I'm hopeful for this V5 due to that
                    Which aspects are you enquiring about? I may be able to help out your mind at rest.

Matthew Dawkins
                    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

I'll admit the first alpha test was not something that made me confident about V5, but the subsequent alpha, and more importantly the beta demo material I have been allowed to see make me much more happy with the system and the I feel the direction of the setting.

We talk a bit about the beta on the latest DDR episode.

www.darker-days.org - The Premier World of Darkness Podcast
                      Co-designer and miniature painter for Noble Armada 3e

Comment

My group is excited for V5. An abstract system for feeding that makes it a more central aspect is great. Tired of basically being the Vampire "Avengers". We're wrapping up a long running V20 game in preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by Coridan View Post
                          My group is excited for V5. An abstract system for feeding that makes it a more central aspect is great. Tired of basically being the Vampire "Avengers". We're wrapping up a long running V20 game in preparation.
                          Frankly I'm the opposite as I feel that feeding doesn't need to be forced more into the game. As V:TM is now, feeding is as important as the ST wants to make it. That way it can can play to different groups interests as much as they want. The new system basically forces feeding right there to the front. Yes they are vampires and they need to feed on the blood of others to survive but that isn't the only way to present the horror of being a vampire and in my personal opinion it is an overused cliche to have vampires obsessed with blood. Additionally, I have doubts that vampire society and the masquerade could even function under the new system but that's already something that has been discussed at length on these forums.
                          Last edited by stanlemon; 06-16-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I can definitely get behind this idea, I just sent my request to join the group a few minutes ago.

Comment

Frankly I'm the opposite as I feel that feeding doesn't need to be forced more into the game. As V:TM is now, feeding is as important as the ST wants to make it. That way it can can play to different groups interests as much as they want. The new system basically forces feeding right there to the front. Yes they are vampires and they need to feed on the blood of others to survive but that isn't the only way to present the horror of being a vampire and in my personal opinion it is an overused cliche to have vampires obsessed with blood. Additionally, I have doubts that vampire society and the masquerade could even function under the new system but that's already something that has been discussed at length on these forums.

I get the feeling in the new system you can still handwave feeding if you want to, but I hate blood pool and blood points. It's too gamey.

Comment

Working...
                              X