Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever run a game in the 1920s or 1930s gangster era?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The short version is that some wanted to prevent a further leak (more for the sake of their reputation than active fear of hunters) and others wanted to spread active disinformation. In this particular game, Nosferatu came out as it did in the real world, just here as an attack on an actual vampire who helped in the attempt to suppress and destroy it, so Kindred were a bit twitchy about vampire movies. One of the results in-game was the twist ending in Mark Of The Vampire.

Craig Oxbrow
    The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Sounds cool, haven't heard about a game before which was focused on the manipulation of the cinema industry.

Comment

I've not had the opportunity to run a gangster era Vampire game, but I put the most background work into my main character for that period, as he lived in Manhattan at the time. On the organized crime front he was quietly involved with Meyer Lansky's Murder, Inc. and Stephanie St. Clair (the Numbers Queen of Harlem). As far as more legitimate business, I had him as an associate of J.P. Morgan Jr. and a minority owner of the American Radiator Company. Of note was the company's HQ that was built at that time, the American Radiator Building. A black granite-and-brick Art Deco skyscraper with a gold crown and black mirrored lobby, as well as a very useful basement furnace and boiler showroom. Why no, the building's appearance wouldn't be a symbolic mockery of Lasombra rule in New York—why would you ever think that?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
          I've not had the opportunity to run a gangster era Vampire game, but I put the most background work into my main character for that period, as he lived in Manhattan at the time. On the organized crime front he was quietly involved with Meyer Lansky's Murder, Inc. and Stephanie St. Clair (the Numbers Queen of Harlem). As far as more legitimate business, I had him as an associate of J.P. Morgan Jr. and a minority owner of the American Radiator Company. Of note was the company's HQ that was built at that time, the American Radiator Building. A black granite-and-brick Art Deco skyscraper with a gold crown and black mirrored lobby, as well as a very useful basement furnace and boiler showroom. Why no, the building's appearance wouldn't be a symbolic mockery of Lasombra rule in New York—why would you ever think that?
          Sounds like a cool character, and that skyscraper sounds like a really nice place to work in.

Comment

It's my all-time favorite building. If I ever travel to NYC, I want to stay in it now that it's the Bryant Park Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
              It's my all-time favorite building. If I ever travel to NYC, I want to stay in it now that it's the Bryant Park Hotel.
              Wow, I thought that skyscraper was something which was a fictional addition. But life can be strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
                Sounds cool, haven't heard about a game before which was focused on the manipulation of the cinema industry.
                Thanks!

Another potential source for ideas: Moonshine by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, from Image Comics - the title's a pun as the series is about (a) illicit alcohol and (b) werewolves.

Craig Oxbrow
                The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post

Thanks!

Another potential source for ideas: Moonshine by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, from Image Comics - the title's a pun as the series is about (a) illicit alcohol and (b) werewolves.
                  That's glorious! One of the alternatives I had for vampires in regard to my possible gangster game was WtF. But I figured that I liked tommy guns to much to go with that idea in the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X