This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JezMiller View Post

That was what Tyler thought, and we all know how that went...
    So, Hardestadt the Even Younger Younger?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzburger View Post

Aka Jan Pieterzoon?
      He was trying to get a proper anti-Antedeluvian thing going on in the Camarilla camp.
      I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up when the Sabbat returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzburger View Post

Hardestadt the Glint in the Milkman's Eye?

Comment

Don't forget Millenial Hardestadt,the only Camarilla Elder who gets Iphones

Comment

I loooove that the Brujah have defected to the Anarchs. I always thought Brujah as part of the tower were an odd fit considering their history and concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wilson View Post
              I loooove that the Brujah have defected to the Anarchs. I always thought Brujah as part of the tower were an odd fit considering their history and concept.
              Back in Lore of the Clan,they described themselves as the "Loyal Opposition". But yeah,Brujah as Anarchs makes more sense

Comment

It's not all of them. An 'army of Brujah led by Theo Bell' is not the entire clan.

Comment

I finished the preview just now and, well...

It looks decent, visually. I still disagree with the cover choice, though.

As the actual gaming content:

1. The snippet from the 2nd Inq was fun.

1.1 I enjoyed the fashion part too.

1.2 The overall tone/mood/themes part was... Okay, not bad, per se, the style and writing was good but in my eyes, the similar passages from the old books, with the Gothic-Punk descriptives were a lot more evocative.

2. I didn't like the Brujah write-up, at all, which is a shame, is was my all-time favorite clan through all the earlier editions. I could bet a rasonable ammount of money they'd came out like this in the new eiditon. Sometimes I hate when I'm right (and I fear it'll be the same with the Anarchs).

3. The Toreador was okay, overall, but I have a moment of disbelief about having dice penalties if you aren't among pretty things. At one hand, it's somewhat thematical, on the other, it's either too restrictive and penalizing, or too lax.*

4. Celerity, well, it's a mixed bag. It's great that the levels have multiple powers and most of them are fun. However, I dislike how it became, from the most offensively strong discipline into one that has almost zero offensive capabilities until level 5 (and even that is questionable, for instance, against other supnats). I don't think adding the cel levels to dex for attack rolls for a turn too would be that overkill. In this form I just can't like the feeling of not representing super-speed (which would be indeed one of the strongest things in a combat) more effectively.

5. Humanity: I like convictions, still totally don't like touchstones, hate that they have to be humans (all the worst fears of being too restrictive coming true) and I find no sense of tying them into convictions. It takes away the later's flexiblity, the exact thing that would make it a great change from the earlier system. For some convictions and character concepts, it's totally nonsensical.

5.1 Long- and short-term goals, I'm okay with, but I still miss nature and demeanor in some form.

5.2 Tenets, good, much needed addition in a game like this. Most sensible groups did it in some form, IMO, but it's nice to have it in a codified way in the corebook. But what the hell is "Nordic Gothic"????

6. Plot stuff: okay. Theo finally have blown up the circus, good.

* It came up in the celerity section too, but I'm really not happy about how much they went to the narrative game direction. Just too much "the ST will decide" and the usual indie yadda-yadda-we-just-don't-really-want-to-fiddle-with-numbers-and-consistency vibe. Especially in the writeups of powers. I just prefer more exact rules, where you know where you stand, what are your options, what you can do and what you can't. I just prefer more simulational consistency instead of "what the narrative demands". The old system more-or-less had my preferred level of this, neither too number-crunchy, nor too lax. What I've seen in this preview is definitely under my preferred level of exactness.

Ultimately, I'm happy I didn't preorder the books. The whole preview is a totally mixed bag. I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but I'm totally not sure about myself. I'll read all three books, to see the whole picture and give time for things to settle, around the game and in me too, but eh.

Maybe I'm just getting old (at the ripe age of nearly-30...) and my (and my generation's) Vampire was the revised edition and that's all, both in themes, aesthetics and approach to rules. It's funny, that I bet all the people who participated in the writing of this edition are older than me, though... Maybe they are just people with different tastes than me and that's all.

Regardless, I'm feeling more than not that this edition won't be for me. It's not a bad product, based on this preview, it looks good and I'm sure a lot of people will like this more narrative approach to rules and even this take on the Brujah and the other clans. I won't throw around platitudes like "it doesn't feel like VtM" and such, but it sure changed a lot and I just don't like a considerable part of it, which is especially straining, because I really like the other parts. I really wanted to be hyped about this and love it, but utlimately, tight now, I'm having the same feeling I did while I was reading the 1e and 2e Requiem books: "okay, they have a lot of good ideas, but it's not the game I love".

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Did you read the clanbook where they explained, lenghtily, why they won't leave the Cam, likely ever?

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

Did you read the clanbook where they explained, lenghtily, why they won't leave the Cam, likely ever?
                      I didnt,what did they say?
                      Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 06-28-2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        I assume he is talking about this:

This is another reason why the Brujah have joined the Camarilla — it gives them purpose. Without an authority against which to scheme, the Brujah are just agitated, meaningless vampires. We need the Camarilla, if only to use it and say we don’t. Thus, the Jyhad becomes a central facet of Brujah unlife. Even those who do not actively take part often wind up dragged into the schemes of another, often unwittingly. The rogue cell of anarchs that wants nothing to do with elder games becomes a weapon one Kindred uses against another. The neonate Brujah detective who distances himself from Kindred society arrests an individual who happens to be the prince’s favored ghoul. Even the reluctant Kindred firebrand who surrounds himself with activism in mortal concerns colors the political climate of his city — he certainly doesn’t escape the eyes of the Kindred. From the treacherous, backstabbing primogen to the most seemingly oblivious fledgling, the Brujah cannot help but play their part in the Camarilla’s destiny.

I don’t mean to imply that every Brujah exists at the sole discretion of the Camarilla, or that we run about on myriad petty errands for our elders. In fact, the elders themselves often have nothing to do with the nightly affairs undertaken by other Kindred. Quite the contrary! Because the Camarilla has made it possible for the race of Cainites to flourish, it makes the Kindred a part of it unless they consciously distance themselves from it by actively becoming Autarkis or joining the ranks of the infernal Sabbat. Even if she avoids Elysium and interacts with other Kindred only once a year, every Brujah exists in a world that would destroy her if it knew about her, but doesn’t because of the Camarilla’s efforts.

Don’t misinterpret me — the Camarilla is plagued with problems. But by and large, it fulfills its purpose, and that is precisely what keeps the Brujah involved with it. It may not work perfectly, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                          It's worth it.

There's a whole section on it, but the condensed version of it is this: because they are (almost) perfectly contended in it. It gives them a framework to work with (and to some extent: against) and most of them wants the Camarilla's way on dealing with humans (but with a more even power-distribution), instead of the local serfs of Anarch Barons, or the madness of the Sabbat. Also, Brujah generally don't like to be leaders, that's why they lave it to the ventrue. They like to be the loyal opposition, working from the system, exacting changes and also, it gives them much-much more room to move than they'd have in an authoritarial position.

In short: they like to rebel, yes, but those who are the real "tear down the system" types are the neonates, who are joining the Anarchs for their first few years, or maybe decades, but 99% of them will grow out of it and change into "yes, the system is imperfect and we have to work on it, but it's still much better than the alternatives". They won't bow and became cogs, not really, but they'll grow up.

Comment

Legendre ninja'd!

Yeah, that was the part, mostly, but I think there were even more of it, here or there in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

It's worth it.

There's a whole section on it, but the condensed version of it is this: because they are (almost) perfectly contended in it. It gives them a framework to work with (and to some extent: against) and most of them wants the Camarilla's way on dealing with humans (but with a more even power-distribution), instead of the local serfs of Anarch Barons, or the madness of the Sabbat. Also, Brujah generally don't like to be leaders, that's why they lave it to the ventrue. They like to be the loyal opposition, working from the system, exacting changes and also, it gives them much-much more room to move than they'd have in an authoritarial position.

In short: they like to rebel, yes, but those who are the real "tear down the system" types are the neonates, who are joining the Anarchs for their first few years, or maybe decades, but 99% of them will grow out of it and change into "yes, the system is imperfect and we have to work on it, but it's still much better than the alternatives". They won't bow and became cogs, not really, but they'll grow up.
                              Ah,fascinating. It makes sense,guess i though they wete more like Nines Rodriguez and Damsel than they really are

Comment

Honestly, the more I'm thinking about it, the more and more I see it as the Brujah neonates, born/embraced after 2000, are leaving the Camarilla and that the write-up mostly represents them, with all the mentioning of contemporary political idelogies and movements.

Basically, that most of the newest generation of the Brujah are from the proglib-activist scene and that's all and they brought the mentality into their unlives and thought that it is a good idea to defect the grouchy old oppressive patriarchy they likely viewed the Camarilla as.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm not even saying it's not a fitting interpretation of this generation of Brujah neonates. On the contrary, it's quite plausible. It's not even less stereotypical than the biker-punk Brujah of the former generation. The Brujah are like that, they're constantly seeking out new blood and ideas and fiery individuals and now, in the West, this is it.

It's just not the Brujah I liked, though, I think fittingly, it perfectly mirrors how I feel about the whole political discussion lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X