This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackheartz
    started a topic V5 new preview is out!!!

V5 new preview is out!!!

Finally White Wolf released a new preview of V5.

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/stor...204/V5_Preview

Enjoy!!!

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mist-Walker View Post
    Well, now I'm afraid to discuss this topic. There's an unwritten list of acceptable pejoratives and unacceptable pejoratives? This feels like a minefield now.
    Originally posted by PMárk View Post
    Welcome to the internet, post-2015!
    Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
    Darksider, I mean this as a sincere question with ALL RESPECT(because I respect you, duh): I guess I'm not understanding the SJW thing? Are there not many(yes, many) people that refer to THEMSELVES as "SJW's, Social Justice Paladins, Social Justice Mercenaries, Social Justice Warriors," etc. etc. etc. If so, I guess I'm not understanding whether or not it's a derogatory term considering that there are numerous left-leaning people that refer to themselves as such.
    Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post
    I only used the forbidden word of censorship to define a group of people full of hate that were making controversy were there isnt and using that fake controversy to doxx people they don´t like.
    ENOUGH! I'm locking this thread. If folks still want to discuss the topic of the V5 preview, they can start a new thread about it. Any attempts to bring this line of discussion into that threat will be met with prompt thread bans.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    Originally posted by Camilla View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again, but after this latest round of controversy, I'm still not buying V5.

V20 is good enough for me, but with all the bickering and dragging real-world political controversies into the mix, I am seriously contemplating giving up on World of Darkness completely and just playing D&D, OSR games, and Big Eyes Small Mouth.

But to those who are buying V5, I wish them well and I hope they have a good time playing it.

Just because I can't handle it doesn't mean I'm going to condemn anyone who does want to play.

But I can't handle any more of this drama.
    i was under the impression bickering was a common any time any game got a new edition?

Leave a comment:

• Camilla
    replied
    I said it before and I'll say it again, but after this latest round of controversy, I'm still not buying V5.

V20 is good enough for me, but with all the bickering and dragging real-world political controversies into the mix, I am seriously contemplating giving up on World of Darkness completely and just playing D&D, OSR games, and Big Eyes Small Mouth.

But to those who are buying V5, I wish them well and I hope they have a good time playing it.

Just because I can't handle it doesn't mean I'm going to condemn anyone who does want to play.

But I can't handle any more of this drama.
    Last edited by Camilla; 07-14-2018, 10:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied

Well in the Pre-Alpha lower gen vampires lost their hunger dices quicker in base to their blood potency making them less hungry than the higher gens and sustracting their blood potency from the hungers rolls meaning that methusaleah and some elders almost never feel hunger or compulsions.

That Said I don´t like that rule and I hope they change it becuase hunger should strike equal to everyone if not more harder to low gens due to being closer to the curse as happens in requiem with high blood potency fedding requiriments and in masquerade with the methusaleah thirst.

Seriusly the old system Blood Pool and generation system worked and compulsions could have been made compatible with generation and blood pool mechanics instead of replacing it with an intrusive mechanic that is also inconsistent with the setting is triying to portrait.I wish V5 supply the players with the old BP and generation rules as an optional system, that will be a good way to win back the people that dislike the new mechanics but I don´t have hope on this.

PD:If anyone likes the HD mechanic I wish they get a lot of fun with V5 but this edition is not for me.

Honestly, the more and more I'm thinking of it, the best solution seems like buying the pdfs, especially the setting books, using the new metaplot, if you like it and just keep playing the V20 rules and referencing the old books for visual inspiration and lore and descriptions of clans, for example.

Leave a comment:

• thebiglarpnerd
    replied

Well in the Pre-Alpha lower gen vampires lost their hunger dices quicker in base to their blood potency making them less hungry than the higher gens and sustracting their blood potency from the hungers rolls meaning that methusaleah and some elders almost never feel hunger or compulsions.

That Said I don´t like that rule and I hope they change it becuase hunger should strike equal to everyone if not more harder to low gens due to being closer to the curse as happens in requiem with high blood potency fedding requiriments and in masquerade with the methusaleah thirst.

Seriusly the old system Blood Pool and generation system worked and compulsions could have been made compatible with generation and blood pool mechanics instead of replacing it with an intrusive mechanic that is also inconsistent with the setting is triying to portrait.I wish V5 supply the players with the old BP and generation rules as an optional system, that will be a good way to win back the people that dislike the new mechanics but I don´t have hope on this.

PD:If anyone likes the HD mechanic I wish they get a lot of fun with V5 but this edition is not for me.

I would doubt that Hunger Dice function like that any more (particularly since that was a quick and dirty kludge), but I get what they were doing trying to say 'younger vampires take less to sate their hunger than older vampires'.

Leave a comment:

• Leandro16
    replied
    Originally posted by thebiglarpnerd View Post
    Anyway.. I am looking forward to see how they combine the Generation and BP-esque mechanics. I bet it has to tie into maximums and things like blood expenditure,

Leave a comment:

• Leandro16
    replied
    I only used the forbidden word of censorship to define a group of people full of hate that were making controversy were there isnt and using that fake controversy to doxx people they don´t like.

But I guess saying hey guys doxxing is bad was a very uncivil actitude from my part and maybe some kitties died due to my words.

That said I was reading the V5 Storytellers Packet Page 39 and although I still feel that V5 is not for me I found something interesting , the social batle rules are well written not like the HD mechanics something I feel important becuase the undead politics not only shape the jyhad , they are letal and funny to the point that my favourite book of vampire is Elyseum.I would like to hear other people opinion about this and if they think that this rules are gonna be in the final version or are gonna change due the 6 base difficulty rule.I also wanna hear if people would prefer to have another system.

Pd:Talking about social rolls i hope WW makes clear mechanics for Presence but looking to the "how fast is fast?" of celerity I have my doubt.

Leave a comment:

• thebiglarpnerd
    replied
    Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post

I see no reason to apologize for having horror elements in a horror game, and leave the politics out of it, call laughing at the complaints a generation gap (a generation that is part of the target audience for this fifth volume since we played the game for decades). Still leaves you with a guy with a droning monotone delivery with all the excitement of watching paint dry. The question about how horrible parts of history will be depicted, and he went into giving the tools but not being shocking I half expected him to say World of Darkness- like our world, but lighter.

I doubt the online complainers were going to buy this game anyway, but willfully misinterpreting things just to complain really should be ignored. It's fine to critique the writing as good or bad though, but should that really be the focus of a promotional video? It's already to press right? no changes forthcoming. Learn from the response but don't dwell on the negative.

Considering LARGE parts of the fandom were taking that article as gospel without doing any research into anything, and parts of the fandom are still OH GOD DOGWHISTLE even AFTER all of that reassurance, it was necessary. I don't like that they had to do it, but subjectivity is apparently greater than objectivity.

Anyway.. I am looking forward to see how they combine the Generation and BP-esque mechanics. I bet it has to tie into maximums and things like blood expenditure,

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    We spent so much time talking about the new Ventrue,that ii forgot to tell the Nosferatu was also revealed. I can't find it right now,but t is very traditional. A terribly pale individual surrounded by darkness with cold,cold eyes
    EDIT:Found the point in the video when it's shown.
    Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 07-14-2018, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vamps Like Us
    replied
    Originally posted by Cifer View Post
    Speak for yourself. I must say I feel rather reassured because the previous stuff that happened was quite disheartening - not because I'd accuse WW of being nazi sympathisers, but because they've been pretty careless. You can either play it safe or have a good PR department - going for shock value and then rather unprofessionally dismissing concerns is not a good way to go. I hope the flak they got served as a wake-up call. The AMA seemed like a very good step in that direction.
    I see no reason to apologize for having horror elements in a horror game, and leave the politics out of it, call laughing at the complaints a generation gap (a generation that is part of the target audience for this fifth volume since we played the game for decades). Still leaves you with a guy with a droning monotone delivery with all the excitement of watching paint dry. The question about how horrible parts of history will be depicted, and he went into giving the tools but not being shocking I half expected him to say World of Darkness- like our world, but lighter.

I doubt the online complainers were going to buy this game anyway, but willfully misinterpreting things just to complain really should be ignored. It's fine to critique the writing as good or bad though, but should that really be the focus of a promotional video? It's already to press right? no changes forthcoming. Learn from the response but don't dwell on the negative.
    Last edited by Vamps Like Us; 07-14-2018, 07:28 PM. Reason: Not to mention some simple prep like getting a copy of the Ventrue photo to hold up for a good look instead of flashing a book to avoid showing rules. Needed more visual aids in general.

Leave a comment:

• Pluvinarch
    replied
    I have the suspicion that Hunger Dice may be a direct influence from Swedish gaming. To be more precise: Modiphius likes using special dice mechanics.
    If you take "Mutant: Year Zero", "Tales from the Loop" and "Coriolis", there is your usual dice throws to check your skills. On a fail or if you want a greater success you can force another throw by throwing all remaining dice that is not a success. But doing this can make your chance of failure greater. In "Mutant: Year Zero" it can mean getting hurt (phisical or mental harm) and even getting new mutations.
    This dice mechanic is also present on the Genesys system (most famous for their Star Wars RPG). So I think WW is probably looking at some more modern tendencies here:

1. Dice mechanics that integrate skill checking with risk management for more dramatic moments.
    2. A more simplified narrative style that is less mechanics heavy. A bit less Gurps and a little more Fate (but still far away from Fiasco or Dungeon World)
    3. Narrative less focused on creating "Gritty X-Men with katanas and trenchcoats" which means combat heavy vampires without deep backstories and without care for the drama of their humanity fading away. Now they are trying to make players really focus on deep backgrounds with human ties (touchstones). Some may feel like it is railroading, but well, you can still golden rule that these human ties are not necessary.

Anyway, that's my interpretation on their new paths. I think I like it. It feels like the new D&D 5e, getting away from obscure thaco mechanics, making it more narrative friendly (adding the backgrounds) etc, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Cifer
    replied
    Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post
    That video is a good way not to sell books. They need to get someone who can actually handle promotion, and who picked those questions? Gibbs rule #6.
    Speak for yourself. I must say I feel rather reassured because the previous stuff that happened was quite disheartening - not because I'd accuse WW of being nazi sympathisers, but because they've been pretty careless. You can either play it safe or have a good PR department - going for shock value and then rather unprofessionally dismissing concerns is not a good way to go. I hope the flak they got served as a wake-up call. The AMA seemed like a very good step in that direction.

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
    Darksider, I mean this as a sincere question with ALL RESPECT(because I respect you, duh): I guess I'm not understanding the SJW thing? Are there not many(yes, many) people that refer to THEMSELVES as "SJW's, Social Justice Paladins, Social Justice Mercenaries, Social Justice Warriors," etc. etc. etc. If so, I guess I'm not understanding whether or not it's a derogatory term considering that there are numerous left-leaning people that refer to themselves as such.

Edit: Just noticed the mod's post. Sorry for the thread de-railing...
    The relationship is about the same as that of people of color and the n-word or gay people and the f-word: It's a slur that is being reappropriated. If you're not using it to describe yourself, it remains a slur and you have no business using it.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Originally posted by Darksider View Post

As I explained in my mod post, one term was coined by a group using it to describe themselves, the other term was coined as a derogatory term making it clearly an insult. That's why one is OK to use and the other isn't.

Edit: Just noticed the mod's post. Sorry for the thread de-railing...
    Last edited by Fat Larry; 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pluvinarch View Post
    I wonder if this art direction is only for Vampire or for the other templates to be released too. Because photorealistic art might be weird for a Werewolf book.
    But apart from that, the game seems to be very beautiful.
    Well, I think the preview looked okay. Not my favorite among the Vampire editions, i just like the old style a lot more, but okay and honestly, even a bit better than the 20th books, IMO.

But yeah, I agree and said from the beginning that one of my problems with photorealistic artworks as the main course, taking my personal preferences aside, is that, for pulling off the more outlandish elements of WoD, like almost anything in Werewolf, or a lot of Mage, or Changeling, you'd have to have Hollywood-level stuff (think Faun's Labyrinth and Hellboy and LotR level stuff), which is insanely expensive, or it'd just look bad. Drawings are infinitely easier to pull of.

Even Vampire, which might be the absolutely most photo-friendly among the games, since a lot of it is politics and city life, essentially people in clothes with fangs, is breaking down if you go into higher-level stuff, some disciplines and such.

Also, honestly, you might say that the old books were cheesy, or whatnot, but you know what? Even my non-rpg-playing friends, who are also not into any of the associated musical subcultures and stuff, liked the Revised corebook and said it practically screams "VAMPIRES"! That it just has the feel, the style. Compare that to the illustrations we saw from the new books. Especially the Anarch cover. There is just nothing that feels like VtM and vampires about that one.

But hey, the new books have bright colors and photographic art! Lo and behold!

I'm not saying all this to belittle Mary Lee's work, on itself, I like most of the pictures, to be honest. I just believe that the old style and cover even did fit the game better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X