Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen when Vampires are revealed to the public?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will happen when Vampires are revealed to the public?

With the rapid increase in technology, the widespread use of cameras, human's tendency these days to live-stream a tragedy first before ducking for cover or calling 911, I firmly believe it's only a matter of time till Vampires get exposed to the public.

There's only so many youtube videos of a frenzying vampire you can write "Lol fake" under or pretend its part of a movie production, if it's getting live streamed on instagram and facebook from 12 different angles. In days past, it was enough to block the local newspaper from reporting it, and the story died. Now it's over the world, going viral within minutes. People all over the world can meet up on forums and facebook groups, sharing their experiences, and realize that yes "I am not alone in this"

So what will happen when that happens?

The Elders fear it will be a second inquisition, with all of humanity turning on the Kindred and finally wiping them from the face of the earth. They have the numbers, they have the technology and most importantly, they have the day. They could do it.

But will they? I have the feeling that at least the Camarilla has some Master Plan in the drawers for that very day. They're not stupid they can see the writing on the wall as well. Already behind the scenes influencing people's perception of vampires. Make them cool, sexy, sparkly, not dangerous, bestial predators.
    Some of the independents likely do as well, the Giovanni for example. Followers of Set also seem like the prime candidates to spin doctor this.

The more pretty and eloquent ones, the Toreadors and Ventrue and even Settites in some parts of the world, doing the Talkshow circle, while the more bestial or ugly ones like the Gangrel and Nosferatu keep as much out of the public's eye as possible (which they likely won't object to).

They have things to offer too, to make them look good.
    Their blood can heal the sick for example. Would that be possible if they were really creatures of darkness and evil? Is being bonded to a vampire really such a high price if it cured your cancer? of course the downside from a vampire's angle is that they might create armies of blood starved addicts with a taste for vitae.
    Ventrue and Toreador could help the police get confessions from the worst of criminals, while Tremere Thaumaturgists and Auspex add a whole new level to the forensic department.

They don't actually have to kill humans to survive, they could survive from blood donations (officially, at least), so they would try to establish a system where every vampire has enough blood available, so humans can feel save.

How would the humans react? I think they'd be fairly split between those that want to see them all burn, and those that idolize them, maybe even worship them as blood gods. A lot of vampires might cultivate cult-like followings that protect them, even more so than today. I don't think there will be many that remain neutral on this topic.

What would the Sabbat do? They may feel they're the ultimate predator and above humans, but they too know they're be wiped out if they overdo it. Will a simple Sabbat pack running rampage through a city ruin all the goodwill the Camarilla has managed to built and spark the Inquisition, or will they be able to spin it as "There's evil vampires, lets band together and root them out?"
    Or would their leadership adopt a similar strategy as the Camarilla, with the Lasombra doing PR and the Tzimisce staying in the shadows? I can hardly believe that.

And how would all the other Supernaturals react? The mages and werewolves? I don't know enough about either splat to really have an idea.

I would have the discovery of the Supernatural kickstart some magic back into the world. As the Paradigm starts to losen and Mages find Magic start to become slightly easier, and Changelings notice a drastic change with a surge of Glamour breaking open the gates to Arcadia and Nightmare.

I would have this be the time the Antes Wake up, and they start carving out territory.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

This happens a lot. The elders of both sects are able to sweep little breaks in the Masquerade under the rug because they have their claws in the governments and media. The general populace has just enough gullibility to go along with it and maintain the status quo.

As for other supernaturals, werewolves and Garou are different animals (pun intended). But werewolves are aware of the existence of vampires and usually try to kill them on sight. Gary believe the vampires are creatures of the Wyrm and will try to kill them as soon as they realize what they are.

Mages, particularly the Technocracy, will do their best to remove the problem and then cover it up. This will help keep reality in consensus and intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post
        This happens a lot. The elders of both sects are able to sweep little breaks in the Masquerade under the rug because they have their claws in the governments and media. The general populace has just enough gullibility to go along with it and maintain the status quo.
        Yes I'm aware of that. But as I said, for now that has been enough, but times are changing. Till now it was enough to have your claws in the local news media, and squash any story from becoming to big. Bury it on page 30 or drop it entirely. But now everyone is their own publisher. A blog takes 3 minutes to set up. Facebook and instagram or twitter have messages go viral before the people even realize it.

That's my point. They WON'T be able to squash all of it. There is no way.

As for other supernaturals, werewolves and Garou are different animals (pun intended). But werewolves are aware of the existence of vampires and usually try to kill them on sight. Gary believe the vampires are creatures of the Wyrm and will try to kill them as soon as they realize what they are.
        Sorry, if that wasn't clear, I didn't mean "how will the other supes react to learning there are vampires", but more to "How will they react to mortals knowing that supernaturals are out there, and it will only be a matter of time till they figure out that Vampires aren#t the only ones"

Mages, particularly the Technocracy, will do their best to remove the problem and then cover it up. This will help keep reality in consensus and intact.
        Well the question is how much can they actually do, if it becomes widespread enough?

Comment

Well, with V5, we've got at least part of the question answered: Thanks to the intelligence community, the Masquerade becomes frayed at least to the point where government organizations are quite aware of the existence of vampires, thus resulting in... the Second Inquisition.

That said, a full-scale masquerade breach is actually pretty hard to create by now. We may all have recording equipment on us at all times, but we also know everyone's got photoshop. There's trolls, performance artists and all kinds of other people shaking faith in objective truths to the point that a breach can become alternative facts quite quickly. I mean, we've got people shouting "crisis actors" at the survivors of school shootings right now. And maybe, in the WoD, this erosion of trust in a common reality is the master plan of the Camarilla.

If there actually was an irrevocable breach, it would most likely mean the end of vampiric society and the larger part of the Kindred. The best they can hope for is sympathy from some "everyone's got to live somehow" hippies, but the excesses of the Sabbat would likely drag down everyone extremely quickly, blood healing or not. Humans are not comfortable with being considered food.

Comment

I agree with Cifer. The nature of the information age is simultaneously a huge threat to the Masquerade, but also its increasingly flexible shield. No one is going to believe that phone footage of a vampire using some supernatural power was true. They'd assume it was faked. And you don't need to convince everyone that it's fake. You just need to convince most of the people.

Moreover, human beings want to be convinced. People like living in a world where everything makes sense, and that monsters are just stories. They will convince themselves that evidence of the supernatural is fake.

Groups like the Camarilla and the Technocracy don't need to promote censorship or create full blown propaganda campaigns. They just need to seed the social media landscape with bots and their own accounts, and people will line up to be swayed. The modern world has been primed towards Skepticism, meaning enough people will dismiss the "evidence" as fake that nothing of substance will be done. Not enough people will pressure their governments, and so politicians will drag their feet about dealing with it, as they always do. It's only the intelligence community itself that will actually take the threat seriously. Hence the Second Inquisition.

Assuming the Masquerade were totally blown, though, you'd immediately see the Camarilla running damage control. Trying to create a positive image for their organization, piggy-backing off the modern idea of the "Friendly Neighborhood Vampire". That (Camarilla) vampires are just misunderstood victims of a disease that forces dietary requirements on them. And that they (the Camarilla) can totally operate in polite society. That they aren't really a threat to anyone. (This will almost certainly require a great deal of cleaning up, to sweep their worst excesses under the rug. I see that as a challenge, rather than a problem that will either go off without a hitch or is doomed to fail.)

Now, if we want to talk "blood-sucking monsters", you should look at the Sabbat. Wild, antisocial, cult-like, blasphemous vampires who deliberately pattern themselves as predators. They obviously have to be destroyed, because they are an active threat to humans.

It's a cheeky bit of misdirection, but I imagine the Camarilla could perhaps pull it off. The Sabbat do themselves few favors, and may even openly unlive up to this impression of them. The Sabbat, I think, would rather fight the whole world, rather than play the Camarilla's game. The Camarilla, for its part, might try to sway public sentiment towards an actual war...against Mexico.

Think about it. Mexico City is the capitol of Sabbat power. It could be argued (by the Camarilla) that the sect effectively rules the country. And large portions of the American population are already primed to hate Mexico. It would be abominable, but the Camarilla would have a scarily plausible chance of inciting an American war against Mexico. It would certainly divert attention away from the Camarilla. Sure, it would also lead to the deaths of millions of people as collateral, destabilize the whole region, and further agitate racial tensions. But the Camarilla could do it, and plenty of politicians and corporations would be for it, and so would put their support behind selling the war.

Comment

As long as there exists a Technocratic Union, humanity will be largely protected from even the notion of supernaturals existing. The Sects do well at keeping vampires under wraps, but even if they should start to fail, the long arm of the Technocracy will reign them in. While V5 proposes the Masquerade fraying enough for governments to become aware, I feel there's a deeper explanation: the Technocracy is mobilizing it's might within Sleeper organizations to counter such a threat to the Consensus. It's already established that they have their fingers deep in world governments, it makes sense that they'd use those connections to get resources moved to areas of increased concern. Just like how the Technocratic pogroms have come and gone, this is just a passing trend. The Union will always oppose Reality Deviants, it's just for the time being that there's a concerted effort to suppress these ones in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                I agree with Cifer. The nature of the information age is simultaneously a huge threat to the Masquerade, but also its increasingly flexible shield. No one is going to believe that phone footage of a vampire using some supernatural power was true. They'd assume it was faked. And you don't need to convince everyone that it's fake. You just need to convince most of the people.

Moreover, human beings want to be convinced. People like living in a world where everything makes sense, and that monsters are just stories. They will convince themselves that evidence of the supernatural is fake.

Groups like the Camarilla and the Technocracy don't need to promote censorship or create full blown propaganda campaigns. They just need to seed the social media landscape with bots and their own accounts, and people will line up to be swayed. The modern world has been primed towards Skepticism, meaning enough people will dismiss the "evidence" as fake that nothing of substance will be done. Not enough people will pressure their governments, and so politicians will drag their feet about dealing with it, as they always do. It's only the intelligence community itself that will actually take the threat seriously. Hence the Second Inquisition.

Assuming the Masquerade were totally blown, though, you'd immediately see the Camarilla running damage control. Trying to create a positive image for their organization, piggy-backing off the modern idea of the "Friendly Neighborhood Vampire". That (Camarilla) vampires are just misunderstood victims of a disease that forces dietary requirements on them. And that they (the Camarilla) can totally operate in polite society. That they aren't really a threat to anyone. (This will almost certainly require a great deal of cleaning up, to sweep their worst excesses under the rug. I see that as a challenge, rather than a problem that will either go off without a hitch or is doomed to fail.)

Now, if we want to talk "blood-sucking monsters", you should look at the Sabbat. Wild, antisocial, cult-like, blasphemous vampires who deliberately pattern themselves as predators. They obviously have to be destroyed, because they are an active threat to humans.

It's a cheeky bit of misdirection, but I imagine the Camarilla could perhaps pull it off. The Sabbat do themselves few favors, and may even openly unlive up to this impression of them. The Sabbat, I think, would rather fight the whole world, rather than play the Camarilla's game. The Camarilla, for its part, might try to sway public sentiment towards an actual war...against Mexico.

Think about it. Mexico City is the capitol of Sabbat power. It could be argued (by the Camarilla) that the sect effectively rules the country. And large portions of the American population are already primed to hate Mexico. It would be abominable, but the Camarilla would have a scarily plausible chance of inciting an American war against Mexico. It would certainly divert attention away from the Camarilla. Sure, it would also lead to the deaths of millions of people as collateral, destabilize the whole region, and further agitate racial tensions. But the Camarilla could do it, and plenty of politicians and corporations would be for it, and so would put their support behind selling the war.
                Great. Was I sending people messages with my chronicle notes again? Ambien strikes again.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." - Clive Barker, The Books of Blood

Comment

Actually, this is exactly what happened in one of the Gehenna scenareos, and neither the Camarilla or Technocracy could stop it.

Ultimately, what I think would happen if Kindred are expossed is they would kick into a diplomatic campaign immediately, stressing how Kindred have always dwelt alongside humanity in peace, what benefits they could offer, from medical to things like deep sea diving repairs and exttactions, to historical facts first hand. Of course, not all Kindred want to protect and coexist with humans,... some embrace depravity, killong, kidnapping, and abusing humans for fun.

The goal would be to present itself as a staunch ally and send their new weapon straight after the Sabbat and any other Clan or Sect that doesn't bend to their will.

Comment

Originally posted by SandCarlyle View Post
                    As long as there exists a Technocratic Union, humanity will be largely protected from even the notion of supernaturals existing. The Sects do well at keeping vampires under wraps, but even if they should start to fail, the long arm of the Technocracy will reign them in. While V5 proposes the Masquerade fraying enough for governments to become aware, I feel there's a deeper explanation: the Technocracy is mobilizing it's might within Sleeper organizations to counter such a threat to the Consensus. It's already established that they have their fingers deep in world governments, it makes sense that they'd use those connections to get resources moved to areas of increased concern. Just like how the Technocratic pogroms have come and gone, this is just a passing trend. The Union will always oppose Reality Deviants, it's just for the time being that there's a concerted effort to suppress these ones in particular.
                    I like this idea. Especially if the Technocracy is operating by diverting sleeper resources to the task of fighting vampires, rather than the Union's own resources. The Union's power is vast, but it isn't infinite. So if intelligence agencies are already aware enough of vampires that the Union can't disabuse them of that notion (without exposing itself), they might as well be put to use.

I also suspect the Union wouldn't actually want a total genocide of the vampires. That's a problem too big to solve quietly, and the Union already plans to get to it eventually. Rather, the Union will want to use the intelligence agencies 1) to gather information about the larger "hemovore" problem, and 2) to clamp down on the most obvious vampires (and, by extension, the ones that are the greatest threat the Masquerade). If this Second Inquisition does manage to decimate vampire populations, good. If it merely curbs their excesses and forces the parasites to go to ground, that's acceptable. Either way, the Union protects the Consensus, while committing few of its own resources and agents.

Moreover, the Union will obviously be watching the Second Inquisition. If certain government agents prove themselves exceptional, above and beyond the call of duty, the Union can snatch them up as potential recruits. Recruits who are experienced in fighting the supernatural, and who are already accustomed to taking orders from an intelligence agency.

Comment

I brought up a similar question to this a long time ago with the rise of facial identification software and the proliferation of live feed cameras everywhere. The setting doesn't hold up due to these sorts of technological advancements. Sure you can make the photoshop argument for the masses, but to a hunter it makes their job of tracking vampires far easier. There are a few different ways to deal with the issue, but each comes with its own adjustments to the setting, which may or may not be suitable for your game.

Unified Supernatural Cover Up
                      As previously stated the other supernatural groups all work to prevent the world from learning about the supernatural world. This is a quick and simple way to doing things. The problem is that it forces you to have all of those groups in your game. Not everyone wants a crossover chronicle and each additional splat has its own baggage to bring to the table.

The Setting Changes with Technology
                      Essentially as it becomes more and more dangerous for vampires to exist around modern technology, the more they will have to change lifestyles to deal with it. Most vampires will have to move to communities that are less tech integrated, like rural America or perhaps even going to 3rd world countries. The only vampires that can stay in the technologically advanced cities would be the Nosferatu. Alternatively the vampires start going in a underground city direction where they essentially start creating whole new societies underground.

Coming out of the Coffin
                      Basically you modify your game in the direction of True Blood tv series or the Anita Blake book series. Basically the elders decide that maintaining the masquerade is becoming impossible and that the best option is to break it, but in a way and time of their choosing. This has several advantages in that the most human of the clans will gain support and sympathy while the inhuman clans will be driven even farther into hiding. The knee jerk reaction to the idea being that there will be a second inquisition doesn't really hold up since the most likely way this would happen is that the elders would use a government to create a "colony" of vampires that is publicly announced and be granted refugee status at the same time as the reveal of their presence. The church might gain a lot of new believers, but unless the church wanted to invade say America or Russia to attack the refugee camp, they won't be able to do much. The interesting thing is that this approach has roots in the established lore of the setting. We had the whole concept of Carthage being an open vampire society, but more importantly in the Kindred of the East setting the idea of the Kuei-Jin being an open secret is part of the setting. It seems every family elder knows of the supernatural world in some way and its not like the government is hunting down the kuei-jin or there is a massive grass roots movement to wipe them out.

So in the end the setting breaks either because it has to change or it breaks because its a hand wave about it not changing but all the games still have to deal with the changes to the world.

Comment

The technology exists to basically take out technology.

Take back the night might be one option depending on how much control over the military you feel kindred and other supernaturals have. It wouldn't be hard for the US government to take down the US for example. The TV show Jericho was a good start on what would happen if Vampires took out things like communication and power. That show was based on an event (or I guess a series of coordinated strikes) The Supernaturals could in fact do a much more thorough job of it.

Comment

"What will happen when Vampires are revealed to the public?"

I believe a couple of doctors already answered this years ago

"Real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Lost Tribes Gaming: Shadow of the Phoenix: Sabbat 2nd and 4th Sundays 2pm PST to 6pm (-7GMT)
                          Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00am (-7GMT)
                          http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Sycophant View Post
                            "What will happen when Vampires are revealed to the public?"

I believe a couple of doctors already answered this years ago

"Real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
                            According to the EPA, it was all hallucinations caused by a gas leak.

Comment

The Camarilla has long since bought up enough networks that Vampires exist will be shouted as "Fake news", Gehenna was written in a far simpler time.

Comment

Working...
                              X