Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats this, Book of Grave War?

Whats this, Book of Grave War?

It’s a manual that details the ancient undead tradition of Grave War. It’s primarily practiced by Samedi, Cappadocians, some Giovanni, Risen, and the occasional pandimensional Forsaken.
    Two contestants arm themselves with coffin lids and sit in adjacent graves. They touch coffin lids and chant “One two three four, I declare Grave War!” After the chant, each contestant tries to beat the other senseless with their coffin lid.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisses View Post
      Whats this, Book of Grave War?

The only reference I can find is in a Wiki link for Mortius, a Tremere.
      "He is also known for having studied and translated the Book of the Grave-War, an eschatological text written by a German Malkavian in the 12th or 13th century concerning Gehenna and diablerie."

Apparently he's in Milwaukee by night, so the details are probably in there. If there are any further details.

Comment

It's a macguffin that Beckett searches for in Beckett's Jyhad Diary. It supposedly has the ability to remove mental domination or the effects of the blood bond by reading it completely, but it is up to the storyteller to decide what it really is.

Comment

Book of the Grave-War made its first appearance all the way back in Bloody Hearts: Diablerie Britain (1993). There's more information on it there, though the Jyhard's Diary writers clearly expanded on its concept.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

in my WOD enciclopedy (a file where I wrote about every sensible fact, name or artifact I found on supplement, in a neverending WiP) I have an entry for that.
            Beware that the entry is a paraphrase of what was in a book, maybe more than one, and that I'm re-translating it in English

Book of the Grave War
            Book originally written by a Malkavian (partly) in German between the 12th to the 13th century, otherwise known as Das Buch von der Grabkrieg, is a prophecies's book that talks about Gehenna in apocalyptic style, detailing Diablerie as the only means of survival. It's practically impossible to translate the whole text of the book, as it is written in several languages and alphabets, including even 3000 year old Greek dialects or the Linear A alphabet.

====================================
            "Worst English-language User" 2011-2015, 2017 running for the 2018

Comment

"Das Buch vom Grabkrieg" or
              "Das Buch vom Krieg der Gräber"
              Would both sound a little more german.
              Last edited by Colognian; 07-19-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I didn't wrote it

Comment

Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
                  Book of the Grave-War made its first appearance all the way back in Bloody Hearts: Diablerie Britain (1993). There's more information on it there, though the Jyhard's Diary writers clearly expanded on its concept.

Yeah, although there is only 2 pages of info on the book. The text is in ancient greek and german with an intelligible combination of linear A (which if you take into account, it is probably the language of the Voynich manuscript). It is divided in 7 cantos (like Dante's Divine Comedy).

-Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
                    It’s a manual that details the ancient undead tradition of Grave War. It’s primarily practiced by Samedi, Cappadocians, some Giovanni, Risen, and the occasional pandimensional Forsaken.
                    Two contestants arm themselves with coffin lids and sit in adjacent graves. They touch coffin lids and chant “One two three four, I declare Grave War!” After the chant, each contestant tries to beat the other senseless with their coffin lid.
                    Two questions on this.

1. Must both contestants remain within their graves after the chant, or can they leave it for a better striking position?

2. Must both coffin lids be of the same type or is it up to individual choice?

Comment

If I remember correctly

1- they should remain in their graves, but they can move around while sitting, trying to dodge

2- Unless used as official contest, often is leaved to the individual choice, but using a coffin lid not made of wood is considered bad form and chance are you will not be invited again, for a lot of time, in the local Grave War circles. This fact is often a problem, as there're always local and regional tournaments going on and you risk to lose your position and your points, as your "expulsion" will be considered a forfeit.

Comment

Originally posted by Colognian View Post
                        "Das Buch vom Grabkrieg" or
                        "Das Buch vom Krieg der Gräber"
                        Would both sound a little more german.

Yup.

As much as nWW touts it's more Euro and world-centric approach, they still bungle non-english words. That title sounds horribly un-german even for OHG, let alone MHG or modern german.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryoga84 View Post
                          If I remember correctly

1- they should remain in their graves, but they can move around while sitting, trying to dodge

2- Unless used as official contest, often is leaved to the individual choice, but using a coffin lid not made of wood is considered bad form and chance are you will not be invited again, for a lot of time, in the local Grave War circles. This fact is often a problem, as there're always local and regional tournaments going on and you risk to lose your position and your points, as your "expulsion" will be considered a forfeit.
                          Thank you, good sire. This has cleared up some things for me as I hold the modest ambition of joining the local Grave War cricle and don't want to make some kind of grevious mistake in my first match.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post

Yup.

As much as nWW touts it's more Euro and world-centric approach, they still bungle non-english words. That title sounds horribly un-german even for OHG, let alone MHG or modern german.

White Wolf was still very much an American publisher during the days of Bloody Hearts. ParaWolf has done some things that don't make sense to me, but this problematic bit of language is from the original White Wolf, courtesy of the USA.
                            Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
                            - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
                            (She/Her)

Comment

Working...
                            X