V5 Chicago and Elders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 Chicago and Elders

I will definitely be backing the Kickstarter. I will back it at one of the higher tiers if I see one I like and I can find the cash.

I am, however, curious. We know from the Alpha that Critias is still in Chicago. We can speculate that this is because Menele is still there and wants to keep him around.

So we have at least one low-generation Methuselah knocking around, maybe two. Is Chicago the book that will start giving us rules for elders? Or are they going to get rid of Critias and Menele, too?

This bothers me. I want to be able to buy Chicago By Night, but I want it as an update for all my peeps in the book. Not just Menele and Critias but Helena Inyanga Khalid Annabelle

I'm thinking they need to do this of all the source books justice so I expect to see how everyone fared in the years since second edition. Some elders may have kicked but I expect most to be in the book. If they went with a house cleaning of elders my last hope to enjoy a V5 book will go out the window.

I assume they know something so iconic to VTM needs all the pieces in play to be seen as a continuation worth getting.

I didn't want to verbalize my fears and sound whiny but I don't need a Chicago without the classic setting/kindred.

Comment

Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post
      This bothers me. I want to be able to buy Chicago By Night, but I want it as an update for all my peeps in the book. Not just Menele and Critias but Helena Inyanga Khalid Annabelle

I'm thinking they need to do this of all the source books justice so I expect to see how everyone fared in the years since second edition. Some elders may have kicked but I expect most to be in the book. If they went with a house cleaning of elders my last hope to enjoy a V5 book will go out the window.

I assume they know something so iconic to VTM needs all the pieces in play to be seen as a continuation worth getting.

I didn't want to verbalize my fears and sound whiny but I don't need a Chicago without the classic setting/kindred.
      Pretty much with you on this. One of the things that made "Chicago By Night" awesome was how it showed a city that was the pawns of two ancient powers, that no one had any idea even existed. It was the Jyhad, on a tiny city-scale. I think there were one or two on both sides of the chessboard who were beginning to figure out that something over them was messing with their heads. But at the same time, there were plots and schemes that had nothing to do with "The Trojan War II: The Revenge," going on around them. Plus, with BJD's revelation that Inyanga was actually a Laibon, it opened up more potential for elements brought in from later in the line's run.

But by V5's own setting, all those characters have to have left or walled themselves off to avoid the Beckoning. So I can't really justify Kickstarter-ing this book, sight unseen. I love OP and would much rather support them than New White Wolf, but I can't see how they can possibly work around the V5 setting to keep those elements in play. If there was some kind of official preview or reassurance that those elements weren't going to be expunged, then I'd jump on board happily.

Comment

I feel that there is a good chance to see elder stats or maybe even elder disciplines in this book. Menele and Critias are important characters.
        Being optimistic and assuming they are there,what do you guys think their blood potency is? Remember than blood potency worsens your name severity. So if the two Methuselahs do have their blood as strong as it can be,they'll be very easy to make fly of the handle.
        Of course,that's assuming there won't be rules for Paths in this book. Remember Menele was teaching the path of entelechy on bjd

Comment

I didn't read the new rules but, shouldn't Helena and Menele be blood potency 0 having just recently come out of torpor? That is how I understood it from another post. Really Helena should no longer need to feed from Vampires.

what is name severity?

Comment

I didn't read the new rules but, shouldn't Helena and Menele be blood potency 0 having just recently come out of torpor? That is how I understood it from another post. Really Helena should no longer need to feed from Vampires.

what is name severity?
            As 4th Generation, their minimum Blood Potency would be 5, and their maximum 10. Torpor reduces Potency, but not below the minimum for Generation.

Comment

Ah, Thank you.

So is blood potency 5 vampire only feeding?

Comment

what is name severity?
                Apologies, I meant Bane severity. It is the strenght of the clan curse of clan. The higher your blood potency,the higher your bane severity. Elder Nosferatu can hardly pass for human even with Obsfuscate,Elder Malkavian are more debilitated by their insanity,etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Barachiel View Post

Pretty much with you on this. One of the things that made "Chicago By Night" awesome was how it showed a city that was the pawns of two ancient powers, that no one had any idea even existed. It was the Jyhad, on a tiny city-scale. I think there were one or two on both sides of the chessboard who were beginning to figure out that something over them was messing with their heads. But at the same time, there were plots and schemes that had nothing to do with "The Trojan War II: The Revenge," going on around them. Plus, with BJD's revelation that Inyanga was actually a Laibon, it opened up more potential for elements brought in from later in the line's run.

But by V5's own setting, all those characters have to have left or walled themselves off to avoid the Beckoning. So I can't really justify Kickstarter-ing this book, sight unseen. I love OP and would much rather support them than New White Wolf, but I can't see how they can possibly work around the V5 setting to keep those elements in play. If there was some kind of official preview or reassurance that those elements weren't going to be expunged, then I'd jump on board happily.
                  The Beckoning was always going to cause problems by "losing" some well-liked canonical NPCs. That's unfortunate, I agree, and I wish it hadn't happened even though I can see the other side of the coin in terms of empowering and liberating player characters. But I am confident that Lord Camden (if that is indeed who it is) and his team will come up with something good enough and interesting enough to be worth backing on KS.

Comment

Ah, Thank you.

So is blood potency 5 vampire only feeding?
                    On blood potency 5 animal and bagged blood slakes no Hunger, you slake 1 less Hunger per human and you Must drain and kill a human to reduce Hunger below 2
                    so you don't need to feed on other vampires,but humans are way less satisfying

Comment

Originally posted by JezMiller View Post

The Beckoning was always going to cause problems by "losing" some well-liked canonical NPCs. That's unfortunate, I agree, and I wish it hadn't happened even though I can see the other side of the coin in terms of empowering and liberating player characters. But I am confident that Lord Camden (if that is indeed who it is) and his team will come up with something good enough and interesting enough to be worth backing on KS.
                      I'm in for nostalgia and seeing the updates. I lived in Chicago for a few decades so I don't need to be shown around it. Being from the area of the early game locations was a lot of the fun. Without the updates on the main players it's a wish you well but I pass so Kick Starter is out for me. I have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        On blood potency 5 animal and bagged blood slakes no Hunger, you slake 1 less Hunger per human and you Must drain and kill a human to reduce Hunger below 2
                        so you don't need to feed on other vampires,but humans are way less satisfying

I'm not sure this makes logical sense. Does the third have minimum BP 6 second 7 and Cain 8? what did they do when no vampires were around to eat? Did they drain 10 humans a night? Population levels would be a huge issue.

I guess it doesn't really matter, the one 4th gen game didn't really work out for us, so few are likely ever playing these guys. The powers are so out of hand at 9+ their practically NPC only. Mithras with Presence 9 affecting all of London is millions of people. Gets a bit silly.

Comment

I'm not sure this makes logical sense. Does the third have minimum BP 6 second 7 and Cain 8? what did they do when no vampires were around to eat? Did they drain 10 humans a night? Population levels would be a huge issue.

I guess it doesn't really matter, the one 4th gen game didn't really work out for us, so few are likely ever playing these guys. The powers are so out of hand at 9+ their practically NPC only. Mithras with Presence 9 affecting all of London is millions of people. Gets a bit silly.
                          It is implied that the first three generations followed their own rules,that they were so inhuman and powerful they could just do whatever they wanted,and the few who were defeated were defeated by unknown means,that is if they were defeated at all. Modern or even ancient vampires remember them as something similar to an elder because it makes them comfortable,but honestly? Caine. Enoch,Irad,Zillah and the third generation were not truly vampires,they were something way more terrible and strong than "An elder vampire,but bigger"
                          Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 08-05-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JezMiller View Post

The Chicago book also has the opportunity to show the inhumanity of Elders, as the fluff stated that elders can stave off the Beckoning by gorging on blood. Imagine Menele and Critias having young kindred brought to them, people who won't go missing, in order to slake that thirst as well as stave off the Beckoning.

Comment

The forum double posted. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X