V5 list of upcoming books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
    [..] some members now collectively call themselves the Hecata.
    Something that I am a little bit confused about.
    Wouldn't it be the Hecate according to the goddess?

Comment

Originally posted by Teylen View Post

Nope! They are known as the Hecata.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

in Latin she (it?) was also called Hecata, for what this trivia is worth :P

Dark Shores: Lineages of the Great Lakes

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post
          In Latin she (it?) was also called Hecata, for what this trivia is worth :P
          I tried googling the name and didn't came up with any results but Hecate, hence the confusion.

Comment

I tried googling the name and didn't came up with any results but Hecate, hence the confusion.

It also isn't the first time the game has been filled with made-up words.

Comment

Uhm... apparently English Wikipedia miss something present in the italian one...
              Here's the first lines of the italian entry for Hecate
              "Ecate (in greco antico: Ἑκάτη, Hekátē) o Hekate o Hekat (in latino: Hecata o Hecate) è un personaggio di origine pre-indoeuropea che fu ripreso nella mitologia greca e romana e trasportato poi nella religione greca e romana."
              which translates roughly in
              "Hecate (ancient Greek: Ἑκάτη, Hekátē) or Hekate or Hekat (Latin: Hecata or Hecate) is a figure of pre-Indo-European origin that was later introduced in the Greek and Roman mythology and then carried to the Greek and Roman religion."

Originally posted by thebiglarpnerd View Post
              It also isn't the first time the game has been filled with made-up words.
              which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if a parallel civilization proliferates just 2 steps away from the human one, makes sense for them to come up with strange names just a step or two away from the "real world" 's ones...
              (unless when is just a case of questionable translation... at night I still shiver for the names of certain Giovanni's rituals...)

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post
                "Hecate (ancient Greek: Ἑκάτη, Hekátē) or Hekate or Hekat (Latin: Hecata or Hecate) is a figure of pre-Indo-European origin that was later introduced in the Greek and Roman mythology and then carried to the Greek and Roman religion."
                Bolded part is a very... resolute, let's say... statement. While existance of Hecate-like figure is possible in V-III milleniums BC, we know very little about actual cults and, especially, names from this period.

Comment

Hecata is also a genus, not that it matters exactly in this case, but I just took it to mean they are calling themselves the Hecata as in they associate themselves with her.

https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hecata

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Jargal View Post
                    Bolded part is a very... resolute, let's say... statement. While existance of Hecate-like figure is possible in V-III milleniums BC, we know very little about actual cults and, especially, names from this period.
                    not my words, I only translated

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                      They are known as the Hecata.
                      You may find SOME mention of them by this name in the V5Camarilla book... For what that's worth.

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

You can't copyright Hecate.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Seems a little gimmicky to introduce a clan for each book. I guess the Giovanni/Hecata/Cappidociuns in the Sabbat?

But after that? Bloodlines? It gets old quick.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            Seems a little gimmicky to introduce a clan for each book. I guess the Giovanni/Hecata/Cappidociuns in the Sabbat?

But after that? Bloodlines? It gets old quick.
                            I actually am kind of amused at the frothing rage of people who said, "I WOULD *NEVER* BUY A CITY BOOK! HOW DARE YOU PUT MY BELOVED LASOMBRA IN CHICAGO! NOW I HAVE TO BUY A BOOK I DON'T WANT."

I'm like....isn't that the point?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I always loved city books myself.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                                I always loved city books myself.
                                Chicago by Night also notably is a book where I often mine Kindred. Unless I'm adapting a really small city, there's no reason you can't use most of the NPCs there.

Comment

Working...
                                X