Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a Anarch City (in my case Berlin V5) work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a Anarch City (in my case Berlin V5) work?

Hi everyone.
    Im planning to set up my Chronicle in Berlin so started to read Berlin by Night. It is quite old so i read Becketts Jihad Diary and got a clue that Abraham Wollf became prince.
    Ok, i thought. Interesting. Malk prince, check.
    Then V5 came out and i read that Berlin is no longer a Camarilla City.
    Ok, i thought. I wanna try what it is like playing an anarch chronicle.

But after some reading (in V5 and Whitefolf Wiki) the Anarch Movement sounds a little utopian. It is like ... tolerance.... equility... love, peace and harmony.
    No domain struggles, no bloodbonding...

So i wonder what it is like to have a Baron instead of a Prince? Is there some Kind of Sheriff? What does he do if everyone wants celebrate tolerance and equality.
    Sure, there is the second inquisition but i am missing the political horror somewhat. The intrigues and the constant struggle for domains and so on.
    It feels a bit like: Ok we poor anarch licks close ranks and avoid to be fucked by the SI.

And what happened to the old Camarilla Primogens, and the members of each Clan? Ok, no Problem for Bujah and Gangrel. But there was a lot of Ventrue, Nosferatu, Malkavian and Toreador in the City. More or Less Camarilla under Waldburg and even Wolff. Did they all Die or flee in the Revolution?

I really have my Problems figuring out what Berlin is like in 2018. Anyone has some ideas?
    Last edited by charley2020; 08-22-2018, 08:24 AM. Reason: missspelling

Elder Toreador, rolling his eyes: "Well you see dear, it doesn't."

If you ask 12 Anarchs 1 question you will get 13 answers. Some Anarch communes are little clubs within a Camarilla or Sabbat city, a special interest group, political pressure and all that. Some Barons run their own districts or cities, and some are like Camarilla Lite, while others are more Sabbat Lite. Some even have the Vinculum. Some collaborate with the Camarilla in serious matters like Masquerade breaches and red listers.

A unifying theme with Anarchs is that they have the right ideas but the execution doesn't always play out. However every anarch group is different.

Comment

Enlightenment in Blood position positioned that there are several groups who do disagree or got terrorized by the Camarilla who rose up in rebellion.
      I do would assume that they form some form of council or board to discuss challenges of the nature who affect all (attacks by the Camarilla, Sabbat, Second Inquisition) and otherwise would group to their own territories in which they organize according to their own philosophy.

The groups may include kindred who organize according to anarch individualist like Max Stirner, establishing a system which will retaliate against an etablished power structure. They could organize in a faction that acts more in line with the philosophy of the red army faction. They might organize in something like the hope foundation who is more liberal than left and does propose a different system. They might organize under a religious banner and indulge into the church of caine.

They could go for systems that aren't actually that left as Anarch within the terminology of Vampire doesn't denote anyone left but anyone who is opposed to the Camarilla as a governing faction and isn't Sabbat. (Personally I would like to see the theme of "the Anarch ideas/system just doesn't play out" rather dropped than enforced or repeated)

Comment

Originally posted by charley2020 View Post
        Hi everyone.
        Im planning to set up my Chronicle in Berlin so started to read Berlin by Night. It is quite old so i read Becketts Jihad Diary and got a clue that Abraham Wollf became prince.
        Ok, i thought. Interesting. Malk prince, check.
        Then V5 came out and i read that Berlin is no longer a Camarilla City.
        Ok, i thought. I wanna try what it is like playing an anarch chronicle.

But after some reading (in V5 and Whitefolf Wiki) the Anarch Movement sounds a little utopian. It is like ... tolerance.... equility... love, peace and harmony.
        No domain struggles, no bloodbonding...

So i wonder what it is like to have a Baron instead of a Prince? Is there some Kind of Sheriff? What does he do if everyone wants celebrate tolerance and equality.
        Sure, there is the second inquisition but i am missing the political horror somewhat. The intrigues and the constant struggle for domains and so on.
        It feels a bit like: Ok we poor anarch licks close ranks and avoid to be fucked by the SI.

And what happened to the old Camarilla Primogens, and the members of each Clan? Ok, no Problem for Bujah and Gangrel. But there was a lot of Ventrue, Nosferatu, Malkavian and Toreador in the City. More or Less Camarilla under Waldburg and even Wolff. Did they all Die or flee in the Revolution?

I really have my Problems figuring out what Berlin is like in 2018. Anyone has some ideas?

You should take a look in Los Angeles by Night (for 2E). LA is probably the most famous Anarch city.

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Los_Angeles_by_Night

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ht-WW2210?it=1

Guide to Anarchs (for V3/Revised) or Anarch Unbound (for V20) can help too:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...purchased&it=1

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...narchs-Unbound

Comment

I kind of treat the Sects in a pretty basic way, so that it is clear they each touch on various story beats:

Camarilla - Feudal leadership system (Governmental corruption)
          Sabbat - Theocratic leadership system (Religious corruption)
          Anarch - Kleptocracy leadership system (Criminal corruption)

So, basically, while I treat the Camarilla like a monarchy and the Sabbat like a broken branch of the church, the Anarchs become a reflection of organized crime and works a bit like the Mafia. You have the "Family" which represents the Sect as a whole, but there are individual "Heads of Houses" that can certainly clash for territory and resources. So it is the Giovanni at a Sect wide scale and not just relegated to a single Clan behaving this way.

They also feel much more human in my games than either of the other major Sects as they connection to Mafia style is much more blatant than the other styles which I allow to be heavily corrupted concepts by injecting a lot of Kindred/Cainite flavor into it to change them up from the mortal reflections they are of. What I mean by this is that mortal related affairs are a way of life for the Anarchs, not just a means to an end like the are for the rest of the Sects.

So, they are just the least monstrous of the monsters.

-Red
          V20 Content: Age & Potency
          V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor, Morality System
          Development Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

Red Eye has the same approach as I do. The Anarchs are a collective with one goal - not to be ruled by the Camarilla or Sabbat. But the how of that is another thing entirely. So each coterie is a piece in the larger puzzle, with some coteries clustered around a shared philosophy or goal. In that respect they are much more like an anarcho-syndicate. The "head" of the sect in the city is really there then to act as a mediator between coteries and groups, and will take the role of leader if the entire group of Anarchs have to take direct action. I also look back to the Carthian book for Requiem for ideas on how different Anarch groups may have different political objectives.

www.darker-days.org - The Premier World of Darkness Podcast
            Co-designer and miniature painter for Noble Armada 3e

Comment

If you are playing an anarch city game:

You can have one powerful anarch leader who will act as a prince or even more dictatorial but will still insist that he is anarch in all his hipocresy and will do populist acts in order to enforce this idea and to advance his political agenda.About having a sheriff yes they have an equivalent figure.

Or you can mimic Los Angeles by Night and have anarch gang leaders that control different districts of the city as there isnt a powerful enough anarch leader to take control as the Prince/Baron.

The Gangs are in a constant war for territory but they join under the same Flag when they are attacked by the Camarilla or Sabbat.The players can choose who anarch leader follow or even try to go against the new stablisment by becoming the next anarch gang leader or even the baron or maybe they can choose to fight against the anarch as a camarilla or sabbat insiders etc...

Anarch politics are really funny well played , one important thing is that the player should know how the revolution started and how was the prince reign before the revolution.Don´t only show the anarchs as rebels without cause a lot of them are that but others have a cause or maybe didn´t have any other option but become anarch to survive.Show both sides of the coin.

Hunger pool

Comment

If you've played bloodlines you'd get a good graps of what an Anarch ruled city is like. Barons can often act like warlords in 3rd world countries and they often don't get along. The Anarchs are hardly a utopia. Theres as much in fighting among the anarchs as fighting against the other sects.

My favorite idea for Anarchs, if you want a more aggressive game, is being an Anarch gang in a Sabbat City. Make it openly known you willing to challenge any and all packs that want to take your slice of the city. It makes for a fun game as a Brujah/Gangrel anarch gang. Take some ideas from V5, such as a Malk decedent of Vasantasena proselytizing the local kindred to leave the Sabbat and regain their humanity.......for humor's sake. Add in the ministry (V5 Anarch Setites) so you can attack the Sabbat from an angle they are not use to defending, from another religion. Set it in a south american city that uses the gang violence as a cover for your Anarch vs Sabbat war.

Anarchs can make for a very fun and very crazy games, one just has to have a little imagination and inspiration. Speaking of which, I'd strongly suggest buying Anarch Unbound. Thats a wonderful book for anyone wanting to setup Anarch chronicles.
                Last edited by Wissenschaft; 08-25-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Anarch domains tend to be structured around gangs, which are like coteries but can be much bigger. A few powerful vamps will take the title of baron, which is a bit like a prince but has a much smaller area of influence, typically one district or neighborhood. A city will have multiple barons, with no real central authority.

Basically, the barons and the gangs and the individual vampires and coteries all enforce the Masquerade together by punishing or shunning those who break it. Each entity defends its own territory. The other Traditions are not much of a thing.

When the quasi-anarchy works, it works. Failure states include barons or gangs warring in each other, barons declaring themselves princes, and the whole thing becoming so loose and chaotic that the Camarilla or Sabbat infiltrate and overthrow the place with little or no resistance.

There’s a certain threshold of participation and organization you need to have a proper anarchy, as opposed to a formless rabble. You also have to balance the need for leadership against the danger that the leaders will become the very thing you were trying to get away from.

In practice an Anarch city needs to have a bunch of institutions set up to cover the same sorts of things that you have in a Camarilla city, only decentralized and bottom-up instead of top-down.

Comment

Sorry for being away a while. I like to thank you for all suggestions.
                    First thing my players and me decided that they want to play in Berlin. Everyone in my Group can make suggestions and we build stage more or less together. As the ST i will populate the City with NPCs and i make my own relationship map for them. So that i have an overview what the major players are into and how they relate to each other.

What we figured out so far:

The Anarchs took over pretty fast after Theo Bell, Hesha Ruhadze and Rudi had pushed to Thinbloods, Caitiff, Brujah and Gangral of the city enough to start the fire. It was quite easy because the elders more or less left the city following the beckoning. But the starters of the Revolution left the party early without installing some kind of organisation.

As the word spreads that the camarilla lost the grip in Berlin, other Kainites came. The unwanted, licks with anach tendencies, lots of Brujah and so on came from the german cities and even from denmark, sweden and france.

Gangs formed. Some with political ideas, some with criminal ideas and some around a charismatic leader and some pure freedom fighting fang gangs. (One of these Gangs is the players "coterie" with 5 licks). Some of the Gangs grow larger and they started to declare turfs and asserted them by force. And soon the major 5 Gangs realized they where having a critical lack of communication. Sure they where fighting and more or less in a hidden war with each other but without any elysiums, a baron, prince or whatever they will fall.

They agreed on a meeting where the 5 Ganglords came together under the old rules of the elysium. They couldn´t agree on hunting grounds and they where not able to vote for a Baron. Instead they agreed to meet once a month. And of course they all swear to uphold the Tradtion on the Masquerade. It is not the best situation but it could be worse.

The smaller Gangs where manipulated, assimilated or ignored by the big 5. They are more or less useful for the big ones an denyable assets.

This is the framework right now. Feel free to comment (positive or negative) and to develop with us.

Comment

Originally posted by charley2020 View Post
                      The smaller Gangs where manipulated, assimilated or ignored by the big 5. They are more or less useful for the big ones an denyable assets. [/I]

This is the framework right now. Feel free to comment (positive or negative) and to develop with us.
                      Since most Anarchs don't like being left out like this, all it would take is one smart warlord of a minor gang to unite them all and become Massive Player #6 as well as poaching any frustrated members of the big 5 for their intel in fighting the others.

I would recommend watching "The Warriors" for a bit of a feel of lots of gangs in New York (Meant to be 100 in the movie apparently.)

Comment

Working...
                      X