No announcement yet.

V5 - Planning my Chicago by Night 2018 chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely love it. You've made an excellent practical skill from something I think was previously worthless, i.e. City Lore.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Well, that's one heck of a compliment - I'm always happy to be able to bring some life into an aspect of the game someone previous felt with next to useless. Hopefully others can use this as a jumping off point for making additional Loresheets for more cities.

-Red
      V20 Content: Age & Potency
      V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
      Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

That loresheet is great Red Eye. It is great to see it applied to a city. I plan on steeling it for my game that Is coming up as well as much in this thread al together. Can hardly wait to start running CbN for my players. Really hoping we see more on the book real soon.

Comment

Really like what you have done so far keep it up.

Comment

I'm open to suggestions on what to cover next!

I'm currently trying to plan out my next adventure after this one but am not sure where to go with it. I was thinking of possibly adapting Blood Bond but given what I've done with Ed, that's highly unlikely and the adventure also requires a lot of emotional railroading (you WILL fall in love with this girl) which is never good.

Another option is a variant of Ashes to Ashes with Lodin II kidnapped or rescuing Critias.

It'll be tough because this was a big opening adventure and I don't have anything to follow it up with.
            Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-11-2018, 01:50 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Session 5: Juggler

"Today is the 2nd anniversary of the Great Exodus of Anarchs from New York City. When the Anarch Free States were purged of the Cathayans, when we overthrew the government of Berlin, when we slew the Inner Council of the Camarilla, and when we struck such a blow to the witch hunters that Chicago remains the only city they refuse to send their killers! Lodin, the Coward Prince, sits in his mansion shaking and shivering of our power as we live free of their control. We only follow one law--Do not Tell the Kine of our existence--and that is merely practical common sense. No Prince rules us and all who wish to do what they want shall know that as the whole of the law!"
              -Juggler's opening speech to Chicago's Anarchs

We're almost to the point of reuniting the PCs.

The PCs at the Succubus Club make a deal with Lucita that they will protect Heather the Salubri, who is possibly the last of her kind. Lucita wants to protect her for both the fact she's old enough to remember the original Salubri and also because she believes the 5th Power of Obeah can heal both her and Anubis' souls. The loss of humanity afflicting both of them has begun to weigh heavily.

Lucita, as mentioned in the previous session, believes Blood Bonding Heather is the best way to potentially avoid her getting herself killed. Heather turns out to have the black veins of a diablerist as well, which she says came about as part of her Embrace. Lucita argues that they should present her as a Caitiff to the court and that if she's blood bound then the Primogen (namely her) can argue she's no longer a threat.

MORAL DILEMMA!

Heather agrees to drink of one of the PCs blood during this time period and the act ends up becoming sexual because he's a Toreador with both high charisma as well as appearance. It's been a spectacularly crappy day for Heather so she's happy to let off steam. I also like to throw optional sexual encounters in my games like Alicia's seduction in Baptism by Fire and Helene once keeping a PC as a slave. The other players just shrug it off as it's a common occurrence in my games.

The PCs then finally head up to the Succubus Club to take part in the Anarch rant. Because the Succubus Club is under new management, I describe it as having been changed in quite a few ways and use pictures from the Bali Mirror Lounge in Indonesia--which is basically the Succubus Club as everyone imagined it.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...-imgs.com2.jpg
              http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...20Art/3333.jpg

I use actual music from the Succubus Club through the miracle of Youtube to break out "Hemoglobin" which works wonderfully as a party anthem for the undead and is my favorite track for actual dance on that album.

The PCs are off-put as they find there's something like 40 vampires present, an entire major city's worth of undead, and all of the human guests are either enspelled or ghouled. They also get the very Masquerade breaking spotlight put on them as Damien DJs and introduces them by listing all their accomplishments like killing the Prince of Saint Louis during a campaign in 2008, killing Sabbat Pricius Harold Zettler during a modified Kindred version of Under a Blood Red Moon, plus slaying an ancient Methuselah (leaving off the part they diablerized her due to being dominated into doing so by her after she botched a presence roll against them and became suicidal).

Yes, the PCs were completely unaware they are ANARCH FOLK HEROES.

The PCs have always been anti-establishment but I've never actually had them interact with the Anarchs very much as my vampire tastes are to the "rich, arrogant, and old." So, it leads to a funny moment where the PCs argue about how the hell this happened before realizing, "When did we become Anarchs? *beat* Oh, it's all the shit we've done to the EstablishmentTM over the years they've mentioned. That's why we're Anarchs." It was the highlight of the campaign so far, more than Tremere visiting.

Juggler proceeds to show up and literally showers the entire floor with hundred dollar bills that all of the Anarchs grab at or force their servants to grab at. He gives a self-aggrandizing speech that talks about how they are the head of their own Midwest Anarch Free State stretching from Milwaukee (bullshit) to Gary (which many of the audience don't actually know exists other than "the big line of strip clubs and gambling parlors along the highway to Chicago"). He wastes about $80,000 in this shower and there's a question about where he got that kind of cash to throw around.

Juggler then invites them up to the VIP room with Malcolm serving as one of his bodyguards and an original NPC who the players recognize (but is a former Hunter that was embraced). Damien joins them, whispering Juggler is the Baron of Chicago but he's a scumbag who eliminates any Anarch as popular as him or they tend to die horribly in "heroic sacrifices." Along the way up the stairs, Heather spots Bret Stryker in his natural element.

Heather grabbed him as they started up the steps.

"THERE'S THE SON OF A BITCH!"

Gerard's head turned and he saw Bret Stryker counting bills as he gestured to a lot of brain zapped young women and men, most of them only wearing pasties and bottoms, as he was working the room as a pimp.

None of them were Thin Bloods as they were quite....flush...looking.

They decide not to ambush him right now because it's very likely Bret had more friends here than they had and they needed to know where he'd taken his Thin Blood hostages. They meet with Juggler in the VIP area and he gladhands as well as smooth-talks them. None of the players are falling for his B.S. which is good but Juggler feels them out for some violent anarchy against the Prince. The PCs give noncommital answers.

Juggler then gives them a request as he promises them aid in hunting down the "evil Kindred creating Thin Bloods" (which the PCs mentioned but not mentioning Stryker by name--which is good because Juggler and he are allies). They just have to do something for him first.

DECIDE THE FATE OF MALDAVIS!

DEATH, EXILE, OR FREEDOM!

DUM DUM DUM
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-12-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Modius

Modius is riding high.

Oh and completely batshit insane.

So much so that the majority of Kindred new to the city believe he's a Malkavian. Indeed, Modius himself doesn't debase that rumor anymore since he is much closer to the Lunatics than he is to his fellow Toreador. It's a savvy political move, from a purely mercenary perspective, due to the fact Modius no longer relies on the erratic support of his sire Annabelle but has made a close friend in Son.

The events of Rusted Veins left Modius finally willing to commit himself to the Sun. Attempting to sell a bunch of dirt cheap heroin, getting ripped off by a bunch of neonates, and humiliated by his peers was enough to realize he had had it. It was here, though, that he was met by the childe of Maureen Leary.

Bored by the current number of games he was playing as Chicago's Malkavian Primogen, Son realized Modius was the perfect new "project" to occupy his time. Son made an offer to Modius which the elder Toreador was immediately suspicious of. However, Son made his price clear: Modius would have to be interesting. Son invited Modius back to his dungeon and revealed the sheer Tzimsice-esque horror show inside.

Modius, for the first time in decades, saw beauty. Beauty in the torture, carnage, revenge, and viscera of hurting people. Becoming a Toreador Antitribu without actually shifting his sect allegiance, Modius was spared by Son and the two tracked down Modius' childe Alicia then diablerized her (or so Modius thinks--she later showed up, once more Blood Bound to him and he can't quite trust his memories anymore due to heavy Dominate by Son).

Modius has since relocated from Gary, burning down his mansion, and set himself up in Chicago as the owner of the Old Camarilla Club. It's not known as that among the Kine but he has made alliance with numerous Ancilla who miss the "Good Old Days" (of a few years ago) while beating the drum that he should be Prince. The primary difference being that he's actually making progress.

Lodin (II) realized early on in a meeting with Modius that it was entirely possible that the aged Toreador might frenzy at the slightest provocation, rip his head off, and toss it in a wastepaper basket. He has actually killed numerous Kindred without being punished in the city this way. As such, Lodin has adopted a placating attitude to the deranged vampire and let him assume a place as the Harpy of Harpies. Lodin II "suggested" to Modius that someone needed to handle the social affairs of the Elders new to the city and let him do it--wrongly believing this was a sincure useless position.

It is here where Modius has built his new power base.

In the art galleries, smoking rooms, and decayed ivy-covered mansions of Chicago, Modius acts like the most depraved stereotype of a powerful Camarilla elder you can imagine. He holds literal hunts of humans complete with ghouled horses and fox hunting attire, executions of captured "Inquisitors" (who may or may not have any knowledge of vampires), and divies up territories as well as properties among the vampires willing to toady to him. Son has been serving as his psychotherpaist and Modius' self-control has increased dramatically while his Humanity has plummeted. Modius THINKS he's on the ancient Road of Kings but he's actually hovering between 2 and 1 Humanity. Most visitors are well aware he's "The Mad Prince" but anyone looking like they have a plan is a port in the storm these days.

Modius claims he is going to restore vampires to what they TRULY deserve to be and that is above humans, as ranchers to cattle.

He'll probably just hit wassail first.

Notes

* Due to botching numerous frenzies, Modius now suffers hallucinations and lost time. He also has a weird derangement that makes him think he has a large number of traditional vampire weaknesses like no reflection, an aversion to garlic, and counting mustard seeds. This is something Son takes great advantage of.
                * Modius no longer actually remembers his mortal days and tells wildly contradictory stories that frequently exaggerate his age.
                * Modius has actually made a number of high society friends in his depraved parties, including Black Spiral Dancer kinfolk and the Nephandus Lo Pan.
                * Hilariously, Modius is believed by some in the Public Safety Bureau to be the Vampire King.
                * Cedrick Calhoun is another of Modius' sponsors and using him as a lightning rod to deflect from the fact he's in over his head. He has seriously backed the wrong horse.
                Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-11-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Added Chicago Lore to the index.

I don't want any awesome articles or ideas be lost.

Comment

My current plans of the game are:

* Reveal Maldavis has been framed by Juggler and the PCs are to take her to the "Goblin Roads" on the way to Milwaukee.
                    * Drop hints of Milwaukee's current state.
                    * Reveal Lodin's identity but give the PCs no way to leverage this.
                    * Suggest that Lodin's strings are being pulled by another elder (I'm guessing Marcus Vitel or perhaps Lucius)
                    * Introduce an old NPC that has achieved Golconda but no one believes her
                    * Do some flashbacks with the PCs about the Second Inquisition
                    * Usher them to Modius' party and do a twisted version of Baptism by Fire
                    * Have them confront Annabelle and Stryker at the estate over the kidnapped Thin Bloods.

After that, that will be the first "game" in the campaign that will have introduced all the various factions, groups, and powers in the city.

Really, it's a micro-chronicle in itself.

Comment

I look forward to this twisted version of Baptism by Fire since that is going to be my Session 1 but from the normal narrative perspective. That will be a very solid opener once all is said and done though, looks fun.

-Red
                      V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
                        I look forward to this twisted version of Baptism by Fire since that is going to be my Session 1 but from the normal narrative perspective. That will be a very solid opener once all is said and done though, looks fun.
                        Yeah, the big difference will be Modius will be actively dangerous as opposed to amusingly incompetent.

Not sure what Kindred to put there to mingle with, though. I may also put another Kindred in the place of Alicia to show that Modius has enslaved a recognizable character and has made himself a "new" Alicia that he sends to seduce them. In lack of any other characters, I'll probably use Evelyn Stephens a.k.a Juggler's childe and explain THAT is why Juggler fucking hates him.

Son will definitely be there, possibly the fake Khalid (Cedric Calhoun) too.

The moral decisions at the end of the game will be:

1. Whether to Blood Bond Heather to get her protected from the Primogen thanks to Lucita's offer. She's one step in to the PCs so far.

2. Annabelle will offer to cement the PC's protection in exchange for letting her feed from the Thin Bloods. She'll point out that they're anyone's meat already and that as her Herd, they'll be protected from the rest of vampire society better than if they were just to be release din the wild.

3. What to do about Stryker.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-12-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

SESSION SIX: INQUISITION FLASHBACK part 1 of 2

Well, we didn't get to the Maldavis problem tonight.

I decided to fudge around the timeline due to the player characters wanting to know how they ended up in a junkyard. So, I decided to give them a sense of the Inquisition happening personally. Up in Juggler's VIP room, they talk to some of their NPC progeny and I tell them they're going to play their own fledglings who DID survive the Second Inquisition.

So, I give them their character sheets.

It's Ella, A Caitiff (who has Lasombra-like qualities due to briefly being a vampire in Washington DC's mistress)
                          Andrea, A Giovanni Necromancer (original, I know)
                          Sun, an ironically named Cult of Ecstasy mage embraced by a Toreador to save her life.

Rather than describe what happens, I'll use actual notes from the online game that was short but beautiful. This is after running a session of them getting up on a normal evening, shooting the breeze, and then getting a mysterious phone call that warns them most of the Kindred in the city are already dead.

But he wants them to live--if he can manage it. So, they start running in order to escape before the Hunters arrive and, of course, they're too late.

They were halfway down the stairwell of Skytower Apartments when they heard the entire upstairs of the building explode, a military attack helicopter firing rockets into the penthouse apartment and killing everyone on the top three floors.

IN NEW YORK.

It was insane.

That was when, at the bottom of the stairs, they saw SWAT team members wielding riot police and wearing crucifixes that glowed with a mysterious light only Sun and Ella could see entered from the bottom entrance, carrying riot shields. US Army Rangers behind them wearing thermal optic vision came in behind them before they looked up the stairwell then raised their M19s. Fiery tracer rounds flew into the air.

"Crap," Ella said, as she flooded the stairwell in darkness before grabbing Sun and Andrea and pulling them out a landing. They were going to have to go out through a window now.

Andrea reached over and broke the door handle off one of the apartments to their side. This led to the home of a gay couple named Danvers that were shocked and appalled at three beautiful women entering into their yuppie palace. Their windows were polarized because it seemed to the rage for the rich guy in the penthouse and many of his guests. Still, they could see through the tinted windows at the apocalypse going on throughout the city.

Sun and Ella were shocked as they saw the New York City skyline had hundreds of apartments leaking smoke and fire from them. It wasn't just Kindred homes they were hitting but all suspected Kindred, their allies, their dominated victim, and other potential "collaborators." The sky was full of helicopters and drones and there was the sound of a huge EXPLOSION beneath them.

Looking down from the window, Sun saw her sire limousine had been struck with a drone strike along with several cars around it. He'd been planning to meet with the Primogen tonight. That was when a squad of the crucifix-wearing SWAT members entered into the room. They were the first of the group to enter but would not be the last.

The darkness in the room was INSTANTLY obliterated as the crosses glowed and the vampires sensed a terrible unnatural power that wanted to BURN THEM ALIVE radiating from the holy symbols as well as the squad leader. He was marked with the same power that had scourged Kindred for two decades, ever since the Red Star had appeared then vanished.

Tom Danvers, owner of the apartment, got up into their faces, only for the hunters not to hesitate and fire through him to get at the vampires. Andrea's ghosts, usually to be counted to run interference for her, were banished by the light.

"Deus Vult!" the lead hunter said.

The trio of undead were about five stories from the ground. Not a good position and this wasn't a cartoon and they couldn't bounce off awnings.

Between a rock and a hard place, Ella chose the more distant hard place and grabed the other two before pushing them all out the window. She then used the shadow tendrils to slow their fall The tendrils weren't strong enough to hold them in the air, but they could at least keep them from hitting the ground at full speed.At the cost of feeling creepy as hell.

The trio struck the ground with a thud, smashing into it at a thirty foot drop rather than a fifty foot drop. Bones broke, shattered, and splintered with useless organs thrown about. There was also the fact Sun was struck in the back with a trio of silver bullets (ha! What maroons) while Ella had her arm ruined by a bullet that tore through her elbow and out the other side.They had the power to heal themselves but they'd never really had to exert the full strength of their blood before.

"DELTAS, 5'ClOCK! SHOOT SHOOT SH--" Another group of soldiers shouted, aiming at them.Ella lashed out with a shadow tendril and bisected three of them, causing a shower of blood.

The other one, aiming at Ella's head with his M19, caught fired and died screaming.Ella looked and saw Sun had done it, holding her hand out....killing a man rather than seeing her friend executed. But there were more coming and they were in the middle of a barricaded off New York City street. There were corpses all round from collateral damage as people ran from the apartments and restaurants around in terror only to be gunned down as potential vampires.

One survivor screamed at the freaks who'd just killed six people. He was standing on top of a motorcycle.

"I'm sorry," Andrea said, not to the man, as she grabbed him by the throat and used him as a human shield against an NYPD officer pistol shots then stole his motorcycle before riding off.

Leaving Sun and Ella behind.

How very Giovanni of her.

Sun grabbed Ella and ran as fast as she could, and given Celerity was her only physical discipline, she just hoped it would be fast enough.

Which would have worked if not for the helicopter mounted machine gun. Kindred were fast. About as fast as cars. Helicopters were faster. The helicopter crew managed to drop Sun three blocks away, her stomach shot out. She needed blood....badly.That was when a dozen NYPD police officers surrounded the pair, accompanied by twice as many US soldiers. All of them ready and prepared to gun the vampires down.

Sun and Ella could maybe kill half--if they wanted to. That was when all of them stopped and a single tall man, over six feet in height, with skin and texture like Lucita--in other words an old fucking vampire--stepped in front of the soldiers as they held their fire. He was fabulously dressed, like a Ventrue, but there was a terrible power to him that allowed him to walk among the Hunters as if one of them. He wasn't as strong as Helene or Menele but he was probably just beneath.

Ella briefly thought she was safe, recognizing her old mentor and lover, before he gestured to a another group of soldiers who fired some kind of mortar. A gas canister landed in-between Sun and Ella. The toxic thick smoke smelled of garlic, incense, verbena, and tear gas plus a few other chemicals.

Both of them started vomiting forth blood....from their eyes, ears, mouth, and other orfices Finally, they collapsed....powerless. Another group of soldiers erected UV floodlight stands above them. The lights didn't hurt them but caused them to drift off into the slumper of the damned--one they couldn't resist without blood.

Yes, they've been captured by the Second Inquisition and its hidden patron.

Marcus Vitel

====
                          * The squadrons are led by not only hunters selected for their piety (True Faith) but also HUNTERS (large H) who the government has assembled a list of with the help of the Technocracy and Traditionalist mages of the Celestial Choir, Akashic Brotherhood, and Order of Hermes warrior houses (including the Knights.Templar in my game) It is a very strange alliance but everyone can generally agree that Dracs gotta go.
                          * The Euthanatos are disgusted by this alliance and are doing their vampire hunting independently!
                          * The Hollow Ones and Sluagh are literally the only ones who find anything wrong with this and have helped many vampires escape.
                          * The Traditionalists and Marcus' own Blood Mage allies have also provided many "holy" (magical) items to assist the groups actually expected to tackle the Kindred face to face versus attacking during the day.
                          Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-13-2018, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Session concept win! Now I actually need to read it. But premise for this one is great, I love these kind of things.

-Red

Comment

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
                              Session concept win! Now I actually need to read it. But premise for this one is great, I love these kind of things.
                              I hope you enjoy!

Comment

Indeed I did. I love the Giovanni backstab - classic. Pretty action packed insanity fest, which makes a nice interlude.

-Red

Comment

Working...
                                X