No announcement yet.

V5 - Planning my Chicago by Night 2018 chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My view on the subject of vampire's themes is basically this and I explained it like this to my players:

"Vampirism is a curse. It is a curse in The Mummy way in that, for some inexplicable reason, it comes with a shit ton of powers that can be awesome to use. However, there's a moment in the Vampire Chronicles around The Queen of the Damned where Anne Rice forgot that it is still a curse. The game is about trying to make the best of your situation and not degenerate into a rampaging monster who eats children. However, at the very least every vampire has a homicidal maniac inside them who wants to tear apart every human they know and a blood junkie who needs his fix every night or things start to get broken. Vampires can cope with God, charity, protecting the innocent, excessive devotion to self-improvement, sex, or material wealth and power. However, all of them will eventually kill someone and these will include someone they didn't mean to. Probably have by the time you are a Neonate."

Its the attitude I take in Straight Outta Fangton where the protagonist has the benefit of having power he never had in life but once got tied up to a chair and left in a room with a little girl for days until his hunger got so bad he broke free.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Son

If there's one vampire who has unambiguously benefited from the events of the past couple of decades, it is Jason Newberry a.k.a Son who has gone from being a psychotic serial killing Kindred to being a incredibly charismatic and influential serial killing Kindred. What have we to thank for that? Vampire fiction! But we'll get to that.

Son is a figure who has hung around the edge of wassail for most of his existence, never quite making the transition to becoming a wight despite the innumerable horrible things he's done to slaughter, debase, and torture as well as being a habitual murderer of mortals. The reasons for this are questionable with some speculating that Son was possessed by a demon, Son's derangement was somehow able to keep his mind from fully degenerating, or other matters. In fact, the answer was distressingly mundane.

Maureen O'Leary kept Son dominated from only acting out on his darkest urges for much of his career and conditioned him to always keep his Beast somewhat under control. He was a homicidal murderous piece of shit but that was his human side. Son managed to finally break free of Maureen O'Leary's influence after making contact with the Sabbat in the city. They introduced him to the concept of Paths of Enlightenment, which did not initially interest him as he was not a figure who had any particular interest in higher spiritual morality.

Nevertheless, Son has since adopted the Path of Cathari as an ideology and is providing it the bare minimum of attention. His mindset was already alien and disgusting, so while he's unable to rise above a 3, he's unlikely to degenerate further down the road. He has begun learning some Infernalism as well but has no interest in serving anything greater than his own needs.

In any case, during the upheaval of the Second Inquisition, Son successfully diablerized his sire before taking years of accumulated information about other Kindred to ascend to her place as Primogen. That's when Son officially decided to join Kindred Society as a whole. He has since created a whole persona of a dashing, charismatic, and entirely unlike his normal self based on a huge number of vampire books he's read. Yes, he's pretending to be Lestat. All the better to lure unsuspecting Kindred in for his "games."

Presently, Son has a very large fortune due to blackmailing Horatio Ballard about his proclivities and abusing his family. Eventually, Son just revealed the information anyway and watched as the Ventrue became a pariah among his own clan. Ironically, it was the fact Horatio acted in such a ridiculous fashion versus the horrific treatment of his own family.

Son's mansion is a ridiculously elaborate 'murder house' where he is prone to luring human beings to participate in SAW-esque games. He has actualy let a number of his victims live, ghouling them and marking them for the Embrace due to the fact they've occasionally displayed levels of sadism consistent with his own belief.

While Son is technically a member of the Sabbat, he has no loyalty to the sect (in its diminished state or not) and is apparently immune to the Vinculum. He does, however, have a number of contacts with the Malkavian Antitribu including ones in Berlin and Harold Zettler. He is considered to be a devious political mastermind due to the unpredictable nature of his support in the Primogen. In fact, he only supports causes as they have the potential to cause the most chaos.
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-04-2018, 09:29 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Session 15: Caine Ascendant

I like adapting crappy adventures to be better one. In this case, I have Anatole arrive in town claiming to be Caine and possessed by his spirit. This results in a big wave of Noddism to arrive in town as the Prophet of Gehenna displays miraculous abilities that impresses people as well as abilities which he never displayed before. Weather Control 5 to block out the Sun over Chicago and Dominate 7/Animalism 5 to make everyone's Beasts quiet for a week. Unknown to the PCs, Anatole has been turned into an Effigy of Caine by a coven of Baali. They plan to have him become believed to be Caine by many of the Kindred visiting the city and then use that belief to cement it in the consensus. The Baali then plan to sacrifice him and (they believe) cause the end of all Kindred but themselves.

Karl Schrekt arrives to meet with the Tremere PCs and judge them for their recent behavior. Carna also attempts to make contact with them as well as make an alliance against Carl. Ironically, "Caine's" appearance and the discovery of the Baali connection unites them against him. I also include a EXPY of Mary the Black with roughly the same backstory but altered for Chicago. An 8th generation Sudanese Baali was a ghoul of Menele in Carthage before she was abandoned by him during the battle then embraced by the Baali. She has since sought revenge against him for millennia after.

One of the PCs is kidnapped by the Baali in order to serve as a host for the Baali's demonic master who is providing them the Thaumaturgy boost necessary for "Caine's" powers. The PCs get tempted and tormented by the Demon as they approach its Earthbound vessel. However, they distract the demon long enough for Karl and Karna to rebind it with the Tremere spellcaster's help.

Simultaneously, half the PCs visited Menele's tomb which Critias knows about now. Menele gives his Spirit Thaumaturgy help as he knows the true name of Mary the Black's patron. This allows the spell binding her patron to work. Menele then acts through the PCs with Dominate 5 and to reassure then destroy her. "Caine" disappears but not before giving the PCs some prophecies of the future that I left vague as well as indications of how to contact the Inconnu as well as find the Paths of Golconda. Karl tries to kill Anatole but he escapes with Obfuscate.

Karl pardons the Tremere PCs of any weirdness they've been up to and thanks them for their assistance in the "Caine" matter.

Honestly, while I'm glad this was a short adventure, I've done way too much gods, demons, and Methuselah.

So I need to do some STREET LEVEL GAMING.
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-07-2018, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• I may be too enamored with trying to incorporate shitty ideas in my game that are made better. Because I had this idea as a potential plot for my PCs, using the WORST idea of Berlin by Night.

Yes, the Final Reich.

The premise is these assholes will be coming to Chicago, keeping their affiliations on the D-Low, and try to make some financial connections with the Chicago Kindred. They'll, however, immediately get some issues with Assamites after them as well as the players getting clued in by Rebekah the Monitor.

The players will get a chance to meet them and get to know them a bit before pulling out the rug. I intend to have Shejana the Ravnos recognize Dieter and probably try to kill him, which may trigger a Blood Hunt against her--at least before the PCs find out, "By the way, these are fucking Nazis." Lodin, I imagine might want to wash his hands of the affair from that point on.

The Final Reich

My premise is there's a coterie of Brujah, Ventrue, and Malkavians who date back to the 1930s when Gustav Breidenstein had his infatuation with the Third Reich. There was never any actual control over the Third Reich because Gustav was an unstable nutjob and they didn't embrace any actual Nazi High Command members because that's moronic. However, there were individuals who existed to loot as much gold and wealth from the regime as it collapsed. They also fled from Berlin as the Soviets leveled the place and half the vampire popualtion died.
          Yes, they went to Argentina because stereotypes.

However, once there, they made contact with the Grimaldi and became heavily involved in Sabbat investments as well as sadism. What remains of these "Nazi vampires" is more of an old boys club than anything else. Only a couple of them are "True Believers" and racist against any Kindred which is not white Teutonic German but they have no particular shame in their views either as the Sabbat are very fond of Darwinist death cults.

The recent upheaval in the Sabbat has resulted in them deciding they want to defect to the Camarilla. They are actually doing a fairly decent job of hiding their previous sect allegiance as well as mortal habits. This despite the fact at least some of the members have enjoyed embracing Neo-Nazis as shovelheads and/or ghouling them because of nostalgia. You can guess which one of them is these by the description. If they do set up shop, they'll soon become powerful elders heavily involved in mortal politics, local hate groups, big business, and the drug trade but otherwise not be particularly noteworthy as Kindred.

Because vampires, am I right?

The big thing these Kindred want more than anything is to find a place to stay for themselves and enjoy their immortality. They're sadistic, evil, and corrupt but the thing is that they're not that big of a stand-out among elders as people think. While unrepentant of their Nazi ways, they're also not exactly advertising it either (with the exception of Dieter). Which is why they survived as William Waldburg has a Blood Hunt on all of them AND has personally ponied up a bounty of 5,000,000 Euros to anyone can bring him proof of their destruction. Even jaded and evil Kindred of Berlin don't want fucking NAZI VAMPIRES running around ruining their rep. As a result, the coterie has never been nor would be stupid enough to go anywhere near Berlin since WW2.

The group has other enemies than the (former) Prince of Germany, though, as they also have a number of Gangrel hunting them as well as surprising enemy in Rebekah the Monitor of Chicago who just....is pissed off by these guys.

Members

Dieter Kotlar, 7th Generation Brujah Antitribu: The leader of the group and an actual fucking passionate Nazi who believes in the whole 9 yards. There's an entire lineage of Brujah Antitribu who are descended from him and have lowered the general tenor of the entire Sabbat. Dieter wants to quietly support white supremacist movements (well, quietly for a Brujah) and establish himself as a Prince in the player's city where he can build himself a domain based on his ideals. The others in the group are deeply irritated by the fact he is still wearing the Old Colors and wish he'd just drop it.

Dieter actually THINKS he's an honorable, passionate, and heroic individual which makes the fact he's a Nazi all the more likely to piss players off. He's the most likely to fight them with a cavalry saber one-on-many.

Harold Zettler, 6th generation Malkavian Antitribu: Not actually a member of the present group but still affiliated with them. He has since taken his share of the money they stole and used it to not only rise high in the Sabbat but become affiliated with an infernalist group that operates out of Mexico City. He is much-much older than the rest of the group and the primary reason they've managed to survive decades even if they have been lying low.

Why? It amuses him.

Frederick Werther, 7th Generation Malkavian Antitribu: Harold Zettler's childe that has been known to use Obfuscate to screw with other mortals and show dead Nazis as still alive. Frederick is a depraved, sadistic, evil monster (i.e. a Malkvain Anttribu). He's not especially noteworthy as such in the Sabbat but backs up Dieter. He's a very competant Blood Magician and sometimes claims to be a Tremere Antitribu. He's got a number of Infernal Investments and has been blessed by Harold's connection to the Wyrm. He is a former SS officer and a high-ranking one who was involved heavily in their occult research (which proved to be primarily completely wrong as well as incompetent).

While he enjoys shocking people with Obfuscate and Nazi paraphernalia, he is devoted to darker masters than any human now and is on the Path of Evil Revelations.

Hermann Schultz, 8th Generation Ventrue Antitribu: An obese despicable man with exaggerated claims of wartime service, Hermann is the financier of the Final Reich. He's had his face altered with Vicissitude and remains paranoid about his identity being found out. Whether he was actually anyone of note is debatable but he is the mastermind behind the Reich's heist of Nazi wealth during the final days of the war. Hermann could care less about Nazism (they're not human after all so what's the f***ing point?) but is terrified of Frederick and has need Dieter to protect him from other Sabbat in a prison yard sort of relationship.

As to his true identity? Ironically, he is actually probably the single worst of the bunch as as a mid-level bureaucrat that facilitated the deaths of thousands as well as the looting of their resources. He is, however, the vampire most likely to betray his fellows as not even the Vinculum puts his loyalty to anyone over himself.

Notes

* Frederick is the substitute for Heidrich Himmler. I made him Malkavian because Harold Zettler is a Thaumaturgist anyway and I can't really imagine House Goratrix putting up with riff-raff like the SS.
          * Hermann Scultz is the substitute for Goring, pretty much with my view of his personality transplanted to a vampire. I switched him from Malkavian to Ventrue because I felt it already worked.
          * Horatio Ballard is perfectly willing to do business with this group despite their past and would find the idea of them being repugnant silly--unless he learns they're Sabbat and then would worry about his blood. Schumpeter would still attempt to use their money and connections to get him out of the hole he is in with the Ventrue.
          * Capone would actually despise them and work against them.
          * Son is fully aware of their identities. As would be Khalid if he were still around but Khalid wouldn't care because the Nazis were deeply unimpressive to him.
          * Phillipe Rigaud has orders from the Black Hand to kill them as defections of money-men like this can't be tolerated. He'd be willing to work with the PCs, even though he's a fascist and mass-murderer himself.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-07-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• I'm debating whether to do that adventure or something signifcantly less schlocky like Modius running a human trafficking ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
              I'm debating whether to do that adventure or something signifcantly less schlocky like Modius running a human trafficking ring.
              I'd say go big or go home.... :P
              and after all, nothing makes you feel good as beating the hell out of something you know is definitely evil

Dark Shores: Lineages of the Great Lakes

Comment

• I continue to dig your stuff. I'm also tossing my vote for go for broke with an oh so rarely clearly defined evil.

That said, I've decided to not include my own session stuff in your thread - doesn't seem right to hijack it. I did go through my Session 1 with my troupe a week or so ago, and it went well despite it ending up as mostly me giving exposition (though my players kind of wanted that so they felt more comfortable as we dive into the situation at large, lots of talk about their respective Preludes). I may consider running a thread on it aside from this one, but I've been finding myself strapped for time as of late with work so I may also just drop resources and such I work up.

-Red
                V20 Content: Age & Potency
                V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
                Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

• Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post

I'd say go big or go home.... :P
                  and after all, nothing makes you feel good as beating the hell out of something you know is definitely evil
                  Hahaha. I loved that episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
                    I continue to dig your stuff. I'm also tossing my vote for go for broke with an oh so rarely clearly defined evil.

That said, I've decided to not include my own session stuff in your thread - doesn't seem right to hijack it. I did go through my Session 1 with my troupe a week or so ago, and it went well despite it ending up as mostly me giving exposition (though my players kind of wanted that so they felt more comfortable as we dive into the situation at large, lots of talk about their respective Preludes). I may consider running a thread on it aside from this one, but I've been finding myself strapped for time as of late with work so I may also just drop resources and such I work up.
                    I very much hope you will make a thread about it!

But I understand if you don't feel you have time.

Writing time is either a famine or a feast.

I would love you to have a big resources thread like on Loresheets and other material notes because your stuff has been magnificent so far and it'd be bad to lose it.

Comment

• Session 15: Death's Sweet Song

Background

This is going to be an adaptation of the Succubus Club adventure of the same title, which is honestly the only one I really think worked. It's also going to incorporate actual Nazis into the story and see how that involves matters.

The premise of the adventure will be the Final Reich has come to Chicago as part of their defection from the Sabbat and plan to set up shop here with their 1.4 billion dollars in gold, businesses (conflict diamonds, oil, and other "stable" businesses), and so on. Rather than Argentina, I'm going to use the real life problems in Venezuela to justify their departure as a friend of mine has painted a vivid picture. The Lupines are working there with the Second Inquisition to purge the undead but also their finances are just crap.

However, Shejana the Ravnos and Holocaust survivor identified Dieter when he was visiting the Succubus Club. She managed to flee due to a terror frenzy and is currently wanted by the Prince for a Masquerade violation. Unfortunately, her actions as a result have kind of fucked Kindred over as she contacted a friend of hers she's maintained contact with before informing him of Dieter's group in Chicago. They made contact via Facebook (Sejana being more informed than most kindred about the internet despite being born in the 1920s) and had assumed the other was of their kind.

Saul Osiecki is, unfortunately for Shejana, not a vampire or ghoul but a true mage of the Technocratic Union. Specifically, Saul is a Progenitor tied loosely to the Second Inquisition. One of the survivors of the Avatar Storm, he's a fairly low ranking Progenitor but that's still in the Majors. While always hating vampires for his memories of being fed on during the Holocaust, the discovery of Nazi vampires has caused him to decide to implement a means of destroying all vampires everywhere.

He has created a specific magical disease which is benign in humans (and Thin Bloods for that matter) but causes a Kindred who drinks from it to permanently lose a point of point of self control per Blood Point drank. It then results in them rapidly entering wassail. This is NOT what Saul wanted as he wanted something to outright kill vampires but is a pretty effective way to destroy them permanently as a species. My version of Saul is a bit more jaded and evil than the one in the book but still moral enough to be torn about it. While pointing out he's become a fascist himself would NOT go over well--well, a part of him knows this is evil.

The discovery vampires are hunting their own Nazis and some may view their condition as a curse or disease also will horrify him as he identifies as a doctor primarily. Killing people suffering from mental illness IS what the Nazis did (and his brother was mentally ill and killed by the Nazis for it).

Dieter and company are unaware of this plot against them, which is badly planned to begin with, and just want to make an alliance with Chicago's Ventrue and Toreador. They've done pretty well in making an alliance with Modius (who unbeknownst to them twigged on the fact they were Nazis immediately), Capone, Annabelle, and Son. They also plan to work with the Kuei-jin in the city.

Kevin Jackson has notably been snubbed by the group and so has Alan Sovereign. Both are curious why this is the case and more than a little pissed off. Kevin Jackson suspects it's because he's black but Alan Sovereign will need someone to connect the dots for him that it's because he was Jewish in life. If I can, I want to introduce Bronwyn, Brian, and Corbin of the Malkavian Clan from 2nd Edition as well as Calhoun.

Themes

What I want from this adventure is to shake off the last of my Gehenna cultist adventures that I got accidentally caught up on and stick with something much more closer to the ground. The Final Reich are a remnant of very human evil and have been karma houdinis for their entire unlives. It's not an easy matter of just revealing, "They're Nazis!" They're also not cartoon villains like the Millennium group from Hellsing (well, Wilhelm is). They're vile pieces of crap but they're largely passive in their evil and if things get too hot, they'll just move onto another city.

Sejena and Saul are both desperate to get revenge on these guys but their ways of getting about it are ineffective, if not wrong, and will need the PCs to handle it.

The big choice at the end of the game will be if the PCs are perfectly willing to commit premeditated murder on the Final Reich as a form of retributive justice. Which I suspect, given these are NAZIS, they will. Also, hopefully, they'll be able to give Saul an explanation for why vampires shouldn't be destroyed.
                      Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-09-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• One of the only 2nd Edition Chicago by Night characters that I hope gets carried over to 5E Chicago by Night.

Shejana
                        9th generation Ravnos

Being the only Ravnos in Chicago was beneficial for Shejana as she found herself compelled to attack any other Ravnos she encountered, which was none, for the better part of a week. Nevertheless, she was horrified to discover that after she came out of her state that the vast majority of Ravnos she knew were all dead. As a survivor of the Holocaust and persecution for most of her adult life, this was a fresh bit of trauma that she had to deal with and has influenced her unlife. Before, Shejana was just living life one night at a time, trying to run away from her past while self-medicating. While she was not cruel to humans, generally, she was not their friend either.

The "new" Shejana has found herself to be politically motivated and became strongly associated with the Anarch cause but not just that but also human social justice. Risking Blood Hunts against her, Shejana has embraced multiple times in the past twenty years. She selects individuals which she feels are persecuted and has taught them to exclusively feed from those who oppress others. Shejana's Nomads are a group which has become prominent in Kindred circles as she has worked to transport Kindred being persecuted by the Second Inquisition far from danger to the Anarch Free States, Berlin, Chicago, and other stable locations.

She's also used her powers and natural gift for lying (which a part of her hates since it's so damned stereotypical) to con investors out of millions that she's put to use helping battered women, refugees, and more. She's personally helped smuggle something akin to 100 Syrian refugee families in Chicago. Shejana is a bit divided about her work and would accomplish more if she focused her attention on one issue or another but her whirlwind of activity has done a shocking amount of good for many people. It's also restored her humanity up to a 7, which is shockingly high for a woman who did not normally think of herself as a good person. It also helps there's no end of abusive men (and sometimes women) to feed exclusively off of.

Shejana is pretty much the opposite of many Ravnos stereotypes as she is a tireless warrior for justice as well as the underprivileged. Her Clan Flaw compels her to inflict pain, theft, and other forms of suffering upon those who abuse others--which is about a benign a manifestation of the Ravnos flaw as you're going to get. While the Ravnos clan is reconstituting itself in India under the control of 4th generation Methuselah like Hazmiel, Shejana is actually responsible for a brood of several dozen Ravnos spread across the United States and created in the last 20 years. They're all Anarchs and avengers of mortal wrongs, which is creating a new stereotype of the Ravnos. They may not be GOOD at being champions of the downtrodden but it is an interesting contrast to their former reputation and they have their own Loresheet.

Shejana can be a bit annoying in her preachiness but her passion has sustained her unlife for these past few decades. She is also very skilled at what she does which is prey upon the wicked and help the innocent. Eventually, though, she'll have to choose which is more important to her.

Notes

* Shejana is heavily involved in social media against Kindred rules. She's done some modelling under aliases and would be caught by the Second Inquisition if not for the fact it's too audacious. That and Kindred aren't the kind of people the SI think of as heavily involved in activism.
                        * She has a Computer Skill of 4. Also, Leadership 3.
                        * Annabelle and Rebekah are both protecting her as they have their own fondness for minority causes (albeit Annabelle's feminism is of the, "write a check" version).
                        * Shejana straight up kills any hunters she finds and considers them to be Nazis despite Kindred not being innocent victims. Saul's status will cause her anger beyond belief.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-10-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• The Old Camarilla Club

I should have mentioned this earlier but it was a major part of my original plan for the city of Chicago as well as the characters' interacting with it. However, for whatever reason, they've all been trying to avoid it. They've either been nominally Anarch or doing their own thing rather than trying to make any alliances with the EstablishmentTM.

The Old Camarilla Club is my idea for what passes for the remains of the Camarilla in Chicago by Night. Lodin (II) is Prince of the City, yes, but he has no particular interest in the Camarilla itself. Why would he? He's a former Sabbat and has nothing but contempt for the organization. He doesn't even see the benefits of the group because he's barely able to hold onto the territory that he has. Indeed, he's actively impeded efforts to reform the organization and gives negative support to any efforts in the city.

Which created an ideal situation for Modius.

Modius has assembled a network of mansions, brownstones, museums, art galleries, and restaurants to host intensely private meetings. Meetings are held in the highest of confidentiality with no digital footprint (or so they think), ghouled PMC mercenaries, hand-engraved invitations, and entertainments designed for the discerning Elders. In practicality, the Old Camarilla Club is merely the collection of Harpies remaining in the city after the Beckoning and Purge. However, it is a good deal more insular as well as allied than previous incarnations of the city's Elders. The OCC wants to restore the Camarilla to its former glory, end the Second Inquisition, and restore their former power level.

They just have no idea how to do that.

Despite this, the group has a large amount of power and isn't just limited to Chicago either. The organization has contacts with the Camarilla's remnants in many cities across the globe. It is tech-low and very insular but it's mastery of people in power is not small. Alan Sovereign has bought his way into Elder society with all of the late Horatio Ballard's billions and innumerable politicians. Annabelle and Capone both wish for a more genteel Kindred Society dating back to the days before the Sabbat.

Modius has promised them many things, most of which he cannot deliver, but which they are gathered around. It is, as a result, why he is their preferred candidate for Prince. The Primogen are iffy about it but given Modius is no longer a complete embarrassment (despite Critias, correctly, assuming he's still a bundle of neuroses).

Time will tell when and if the club will self-destruct.

Comment

Working...
                          X