• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTPhipps
    started a topic V5 - Planning my Chicago by Night 2018 chronicle

V5 - Planning my Chicago by Night 2018 chronicle

So,

I have my copy of 5th Edition and have read it. Some of it I like a great deal and others feel a bit superfluous. One of the worst updates for a campaign was the Spellplague for Forgotten Realms and that was designed to get rid of all the super-powered NPCs that had previously affected the game. Which eliminated a lot of beloved characters and NPCs. Despite this, I got some use out of the concept.

I feel V5's update is far less radical and is designed to bring things a bit back down to street level, where I think V:TM works best. So, I'm getting my old RPG group (18+ years and running) to do another campaign. We did a V20 game and are very eager to get back into vampire. So, I'm now plotting out what I hope will be at least a year long chronicle set in Chicago. Yes, even before the next supplement.

I'd love for people to help me brainstorm this idea out and how to properly get my campaign world together. I'm open to criticism and ideas thereof. I am not afraid of bucking the trend for the setting as established but want to make sure everything makes sense from a perspective of V:TM, V:TM 2nd Edition, V:TM Revised, and now 5th Edition. Anyone who wants to also give their ideas and commentary on the whole thing is also welcome to do so because I am going to be analyzing a lot of this.

I'll be mining Beckett's Jyhad Diary too but not utterly behold to it.

State of the WOD

The Second Inquisition
    The Lasombra
    Chicago 2018
    The Gehenna War
    The Sabbat
    The Camarilla
    The Awakening of the PCs
    Themes and Mood
    State of the Clans part 1
    State of the Clans part 2
    Bureau of Public Health and Safety
    The Beckoning
    Casualties of the Second Inquisition
    Predator Types
    Ministry of Set
    Gary NPCs stats by Red Eye
    Tzmisce, Kupala, Tremere, and Vicissitude
    The Third Anarch Revolt
    Kue-jin
    My experience with V5's Rules
    The Old Camarilla Club

NPCs

Lodin (II)
    Sheriff
    Annabelle Triabell
    Critias
    Lucita
    Anita Waynewright
    Alphonse (Capone)
    Robert Weatherbottom
    "Portia"
    Juggler
    Edward Neally
    Marcus Vitel
    Sullivan Dane
    Maldavis
    Evelyn and Gregory Stephens
    Wendy Wade and Gordon Keaton
    Dracula
    Son
    The Final Reich (Heavily modified)
    Shejana
    Dickie Fulcher

Sessions

Session 0: Prologue
    Session 1: The Prince
    Session 2: Theo Bell
    Session 3: Tremere Interlude
    Session 4: Night of Prophecy
    Session 5: Juggler
    Session 6: Second Inquisition Flashback part 1
    Session 7: Second Inquisition Flashback part 2
    Session 8: Baptism by Fire
    Session 9: The Ankaran Sarcophagus
    Session 10: Beckett
    Session 11: Sullivan Dane
    Session 12: Ur-Shulgi
    Session 13: Hunters Hunted
    Session 14#: Caine's Ascension
    Session 15#: Death's Sweet Song
    Session 16#: Blood Plague
    Session 17#: Primogen Putsch
    Session 18#: Son's Asylum

New Skills

Chicago Lore by Red Eye
    Loresheet: Lucita's Circle
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-02-2018, 08:08 PM.

• Muad'Dib
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I don't agree with them so I couldn't explain it.

I assume it's because they're a secretive inhuman sect that worships the Antediluvians.
    Makes sense, this should have occured to me. Though there is much more to these two Sects than how the 3rd Generation Vampires are considered by them.
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    How is the Tal'Mahe'Ra an inversion of the Sabbat ? Is the Sabbat an inversion of the Tal'Mahe'Ra within this reasoning ?
    I don't agree with them so I couldn't explain it.

I assume it's because they're a secretive inhuman sect that worships the Antediluvians.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    This is how the chroncile has since set up events:

Epilogue

The death of Vykos and rescue of the PC Prince (who is disgraced and forced from power) results in Kevin Jackson taking over the mantle. The fact the Anarchs had planned to take over Chicago and were narrowly avoided in doing so results in him making his new decree that Chicago is an "Anarch Free Zone".

Kevin Jackson proceeds to recruit Damien as his Sheriff and several other Brujah and Caitiff to serve as his Hounds, surprising a lot of Anarchs with their betrayal. Damien, however, was bitterly disillusioned by Juggler's betrayal and worried about many more friends of his getting caught up in the aborted attack on the city.

The Wolf Pack, Damien, and his cronies proceed to kill close to a dozen of the most hardcore Anarchs in the city. They also kill numerous Thin Bloods. It's nowhere near close to a full purge but it sends a message that Kevin Jackson doesn't intend to screw around. Jackson isn't an idiot, however, and also gives with the other hand that he takes away. He let's it be known that East Chicago is not going to be persecuted or Gary, Indiana. Furthermore, the Rack is going to be an open feeding ground. Anita Wainwright is reluctantly forced to take the Barony of East Chicago while Anubis remains Baron of Gary.

Basically, if you stay in those zones, you're fine. If you leave them, then the Hounds can kill you (but will more likely just beat or shoot you).

Kevin's position isn't nearly as secure as he thinks it is, however, because Milwaukee is also an Anarch Free State now and Maldavis is serving as its Baron. That means the Jewel of the American Camarilla is now surrounded by Anarchs who are less than pleased by his hardline stance.

The Fake Lodin fled the city but soon found himself captured by the Sabbat and punished for his betrayal. As such, he's been tortured and brutalized into becoming a man who believes himself to be the real Lodin and is living as a local crime boss and Fagin-type figure. Kevin Jackson very much would like to find this "imposter" out even as he's started referring to things the Fake one could never know.

Vykos had a Harbinger of Skulls summon Lodin's Wraith into his body and bind it. So, in a way, he is the "real" Lodin but neither is fully in charge.
    The Second Inquisition has suffered badly for events in recent years and has run out of both steam as well as money but have determined that vampires war with each other now. As such, they've begun monitoring the events in Chicago. It's their hope to create a massive "vampire war" which will spread to the rest of the country...and it's entirely possible it will.

Helena is now the only Methuselah in Chicago and exalting in her victory but, having been brainwashed for the better part of two millennium by SOMETHING, she is now aware freedom is confusing to her and that she has no purpose without Menele. She's searching for something to occupy her unlife even as she's addicted to diablerie to stave off the Beckoning.

So, that's the set up for my next (close to canonical) Chronicle.

With a heavy emphasis on Anarchs vs. Camarilla.

Leave a comment:

• Muad'Dib
    replied

They think it's a silly nonsensical organization that has no real need to exist and basically is just an inverted Sabbat.
    How is the Tal'Mahe'Ra an inversion of the Sabbat ? Is the Sabbat an inversion of the Tal'Mahe'Ra within this reasoning ?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    What are the reasons your players don't want the Tal'Mahe'Ra included ?
    They think it's a silly nonsensical organization that has no real need to exist and basically is just an inverted Sabbat.

Leave a comment:

• Muad'Dib
    replied
    Mind you, my players have this reaction to my desire to include the True Hand.
    What are the reasons your players don't want the Tal'Mahe'Ra included ?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Mind you, my players have this reaction to my desire to include the True Hand.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied

Random bit of Campaign Lore:

This came up in one of the PCs conversations with Anubis (their Serpent of Light, True Hand member which is fudging the rules but I like the character). He gave this story during one of the setting's downtimes.

A lot of Brujah believe that Troile diablerized Brujah and that the descendants of Brujah (The so-called "True Brujah") should seek revenge for their Antediluvian's death. Others believe this is an idiotic idea and that Troile was always the ancestor of the Brujah clan. Others still believe the Antediluvian which Troile killed was Ventrue and THAT is the source of the clans enmity.

In truth, Brujah did exist and was a wizened old scholar who wielded temporal magic as a discipline. Brujah did, however, have one moment where he violated his stoic scholarly ways and embraced the beautiful scholar Troile who he proceeded to Blood Bond. Nevermind that Troile was every bit as brilliant as himself, it was a form of slavery that he forced her into and for decidedly carnal reasons. Unfortunately, for Brujah, Troile was a descendant of Lilith and a warrior as well as a scholar. Seeking out her grandmother and using their arts to break her Blood Bond, she eventually returned to lead the revolt of the 3rd generations against the Generations that included many 4th generations. Troile slew Brujah and became 3rd generation, becoming the 1st diablerist but hardly the last.

The twist in the story is that Brujah didn't have any other descendants. All True Brujah are actually descended from a cult of ancestor worshipers who turned against Troile in Carthage (after she fell prey to demon worship, child murder, and Baalism thanks to Moloch's influence). They used magical rituals to quench their Brujah Rage (because as a woman from the Bronze Age--Troile had some issues with how minorities were treated that she passed on) and they created the Path of the Scorched Heart. They also recreated their ancestors' power over time...or so they think.

It was a nice little bit of historical revisionism because they ARE the descendants of Brujah (through Troile) but it means their racism against regular Brujah is just that. They're also a fairly "new" cult that's only a couple of thousand years old.

There's a similar twisted story in my games about how the Baali came into existence.
    you really think of all the details inn your setting! i like that

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
    Understood. So Troile is the Brujah Antedilluvian in your chronicle and not Illyes?
    Random bit of Campaign Lore:

This came up in one of the PCs conversations with Anubis (their Serpent of Light, True Hand member which is fudging the rules but I like the character). He gave this story during one of the setting's downtimes.

A lot of Brujah believe that Troile diablerized Brujah and that the descendants of Brujah (The so-called "True Brujah") should seek revenge for their Antediluvian's death. Others believe this is an idiotic idea and that Troile was always the ancestor of the Brujah clan. Others still believe the Antediluvian which Troile killed was Ventrue and THAT is the source of the clans enmity.

In truth, Brujah did exist and was a wizened old scholar who wielded temporal magic as a discipline. Brujah did, however, have one moment where he violated his stoic scholarly ways and embraced the beautiful scholar Troile who he proceeded to Blood Bond. Nevermind that Troile was every bit as brilliant as himself, it was a form of slavery that he forced her into and for decidedly carnal reasons. Unfortunately, for Brujah, Troile was a descendant of Lilith and a warrior as well as a scholar. Seeking out her grandmother and using their arts to break her Blood Bond, she eventually returned to lead the revolt of the 3rd generations against the Generations that included many 4th generations. Troile slew Brujah and became 3rd generation, becoming the 1st diablerist but hardly the last.

The twist in the story is that Brujah didn't have any other descendants. All True Brujah are actually descended from a cult of ancestor worshipers who turned against Troile in Carthage (after she fell prey to demon worship, child murder, and Baalism thanks to Moloch's influence). They used magical rituals to quench their Brujah Rage (because as a woman from the Bronze Age--Troile had some issues with how minorities were treated that she passed on) and they created the Path of the Scorched Heart. They also recreated their ancestors' power over time...or so they think.

It was a nice little bit of historical revisionism because they ARE the descendants of Brujah (through Troile) but it means their racism against regular Brujah is just that. They're also a fairly "new" cult that's only a couple of thousand years old.

There's a similar twisted story in my games about how the Baali came into existence.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied

Mind you, Helena is the kind of person to absolutely throw the rest of vampiredom under the bus to protect herself. Of course, she knows Troile personally and probably where she's summoned Menele.

Understood. So Troile is the Brujah Antedilluvian in your chronicle and not Illyes?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    in their place i'd say something along the lines of
    "Y'know your sire,that asshole Minos? The one who made your youth hell? The antedilluvians are out there,and they are worse than Minos ever was. And we are the only actually trying to stop them"
    i'd say that because i imagine Helena has to be intelligent enough to have soe fear of the Antes,and that Sascha after all,truly believes tht hose monsters should be beaten by the sake of all
    Mind you, Helena is the kind of person to absolutely throw the rest of vampiredom under the bus to protect herself. Of course, she knows Troile personally and probably where she's summoned Menele.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    in their place i'd say something along the lines of
    "Y'know your sire,that asshole Minos? The one who made your youth hell? The antedilluvians are out there,and they are worse than Minos ever was. And we are the only actually trying to stop them"
    i'd say that because i imagine Helena has to be intelligent enough to have soe fear of the Antes,and that Sascha after all,truly believes tht hose monsters should be beaten by the sake of all

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Sascha . Did they at least got a few licks into Helena?
    I have the option since it was done during a cutscene that they talked Helena into sparing them.

True villains never die.

They just get get defeated for a time.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    Sascha . Did they at least got a few licks into Helena?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X