V5 - Resonance Flavor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 - Resonance Flavor

So, one thing I'm planning to do with my games is to associate various Resonance types to certain primary flavors, and I thought the idea might appeal to others as well. Historically speaking, the four humors did have associated flavors, but since this time our range of base flavors has actually expanded. As such, I've decided to make some slight adjustments to the historical context to better accommodate a modern sensibility when approaching the topic as well as to ensure I can add Animal Blood as an extra as well (which works well since modern base flavors consist of 5 things). So, here are my associations (with the historical associations in parenthesis, in case you prefer to go your own way with the historical context of it all):

Choleric - Salty (Bitter/Salty)
    Melancholy - Sour (Sour/Tart)
    Phlegmatic - Umami (Insipid/Flavorless)
    Sanguine - Sweet (Sweet)
    Animal - Bitter (N/A)

I think this will be a fun way to go about playing around with the whole you are what you eat, and lean a little more into the idea of Kindred having their own personal tastes as it comes to the blood they drink. Anyways, do what you will with it.

-Red
    V20 Content: Age & Potency
    V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
    Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

This is a good thought, I was planning on doing something similar but the flavors were not going to be static. They where going to be based individually on each character without the player knowing it so for one character choleric might taste sweet, but to another sanguine would. Taking each characters convictions clan concepts and such I would give them their beasts flavor pallet and the tastes were merely mortal sensory imput that the beast gave them to get them to feed in a certain way. Tastes can change though as the character grows and their character changes as well. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Indeed. While I personally intend to use these as baselines, I'm also intending to play with the range of flavor within those broad categories from victim to victim. If the players get into the idea I'll push it more heavily, but at least this way I have a baseline to work with so I can be more descriptive about things rather than a reference back to mechanics.

As for tastes changing over time, I think much of that will come from the mechanical side of things, as the players (and as a result the characters) shift their personal focuses around and decide to focus on this Resonance or that - it is a good way to denote their shifting tastes. I can also play up on that in the descriptions and how they begin to enjoy a particular type more and more as they choose to consume it (or even denote their loss of joy with a particular category).

The main thing is I feel it gives a better sense of relation to the characters experience by working from this premise.

-Red
      V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor

Comment

Agreed, it is a good idea. I intend on doing this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
          Phlegmatic - Umami (Insipid/Flavorless)
          Small thing, but Umami is also known as Savory and is what you get from things like meats. Hardly what I’d call “flavorless”.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackedMan View Post
            Small thing, but Umami is also known as Savory and is what you get from things like meats. Hardly what I’d call “flavorless”.
            I know. The stuff in the parenthesis, as noted in the OP, is what the humors were identified as in the past flavor wise, and as noted I took liberties. So rather than having no flavor, as I wanted every blood Resonance to have a flavor to it, I went with Umami.

Consequently, Umami was not described until 1908 - the humors being associated culturally to flavors was something from around the Renaissance and so would not have even been considered by people of that time as a possible option.

-Red

Comment

Ah I see. That’s what I get for posting at 2am

Comment

I came up this this and it's working quite well.

5E Predator Types

Well, I finally sat down with my players and we went over the types and ways of feeding which the characters do because that's entirely about what is going on in 5th Edition. Previously? Previously, I admit I neglected feeding as a focus of my vampire game. I mean, yes, sometimes I had stories where feeding was important but usually it was because I was setting up something where it goes traumatically wrong.

1. The first time a player character wakes up, they kill their parents.
                2. An enemy ties a little girl in front of them and leaves them chained up against a wall for a week or two.
                3. Attacking your sister who was looking for you and draining her dry (Vampyr stole from me!)

So, getting down to "nightly" struggles for feeding was something the players enjoyed doing. How did I handle it? Well, I got everyone around the digital table (we play online) and I proceeded to say, "Okay, guys, don't focus on the rules per se. We can do that later. What I want you to tell me is how does your character, from sun down to sun up, get their blood which allows them to function before the game as well a during. Because you're going to get bonuses to that, as given by me, the Storyteller based on how cool a concept that is."

I actually got some surprising ones.

1. The Anarch songstress and would-be Roberta Dylan preferred to prey on rich people because she hated them and wanted to strike back at them. However, the player says that she used to attack them and drain them but found that unsatisfactory because they didn't remember and the Kiss was a pleasurable experience anyway that wiped their minds. Instead, she's switched to going to upper class hotels and bars to seduce them only to proceed to cultvate long term targets she drives to ruin. It's a kind of a pretty dark concept I can see making some good story hooks out of or funny or not so funny scenes.

I decide to give the player a bonus of Resources (gifts from lovers) and Subterfuge. Possibly even a dot of Manipulation depending on how she plays it.

2. The incredibly handsome young doctor doesn't really do anything different than he used to in games but nightly visits clubs, Presences, and then takes people away for feeding. I ask him whether or not he uses Presence or actively seduces the characters. He comments that he prefers the idea the character goes through the full dance but since we're playing a monster, he is known to just mind-zap and put people in an alley when necessary. The actual seduction goes out to his penthouse and feeding there. He only preys on the young, beautiful, and vibrant though.

It's a kind of stereotypical Toreador one but I give him a dot of Appearance and Persuasion.

3. The Giovanni, who I am basically house-ruling because they're not out yet rules-wise, is one who came up with the darkest but a very obvious one. Their player character owns a hospice that
                they proceed to use Dominate to remove all pain from a subject then kill. The character has extremely low humanity anyway but it's a Giovanni so that's what's going to happen. I'm going to actually say that it was going to lower their humanity a dot further (to Humanity 3) and they should consider starting a path now.

However, for taking that hit I'm giving them an extra dot of Necromancy (Thaumaturgy path in this game), Resources, and Subterfuge.

4. One of the player characters is feeding solely from other vampires but had a concept that I really liked. In Gary, Indiana, there's an abandoned apartment building the player character is refurbishing and has used the internet as well as Kindred favors to get free water as well as electricity for. It's serving as a refuge for Thin bloods with the player character as their protector. There's seven living there with their families and they feed off of animals (rats primarily) the player characters summons for them. She also beats off the local criminals as well as hurts any Anarchs or Camarilla who come sniffing around.

I give her an extra dot in Animalism, Allies, and also a point in Potence because it's such a strong hook.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                X