Tips for a new player?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a new player?

I will be bringing a new vampire character into an ongoing WoD game this weekend. I will be playing a Sabbat Lasombra. I was wondering if anyone had good/fun tips for RPing a Lasombra or vampire in general? I am fairly new to the setting.

Trust no one.

Comment

Understanding the general tone of the game is usually a good tip for any new RP. Not sure how experienced you are with RP in general.

For Kindred, I find the fun comes from the inherent drama related to being a vampire. Things going poorly is a fun chance for interesting experiences more-so than a negative event.

Comment

Talk with the storyteller and the players about the game. Is Player versus Player a thing at the table? How dark is it going to be? Is it action based or more politics-based?

Comment

Sabbat can get pretty dark, and their mindset is totally alien to even most other kindred. You might have a hard time if you're new like me, but just read into the sect mostly and try to find a clanbook, also Player's Guide to the High Clans is good for the more subtle aspects of the game.

The Lasombra are cold blooded but play everything like a chess game. So never show your hand until you're ready and never show what you really think.

Lasombra are also very independent clan wise, only the strong survive. Its tough (I think, I never attempted one) but they're scary if you do it right.
          Last edited by Talvas; 09-14-2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

So far I've read through the main book, the lasombra book, and the sabbat book. I have a decent idea of how they work I've just never played vampire before.

Comment

I always give the same advice to new vampire players: Stop worrying about playing a *vampire*. Figure out who you were before you became a vampire -- desires, motivations, fears, attachments, opinions, hobbies, loves, antipathies, natural aptitudes, etc.. Get a really, really good idea of that. If you're coming into the game in media res, then also think about how your early days as a vampire affected you, what your initial reaction to the embrace was, what your initial opinions of your sire were and how they changed.

Then play *that* character, and then just add in all the supernatural crap and react to that in character. It'll be an organic process, and the mortal/newly embraced character you make will grow into the vampire you will play.

I do this for all my NPCs, too. (Sometimes it's an abbreviated version, but I always try to focus on their mortal lives, especially childhood.)

Basically the advice is this: take preludes seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendre View Post
                I always give the same advice to new vampire players: Stop worrying about playing a *vampire*. Figure out who you were before you became a vampire -- desires, motivations, fears, attachments, opinions, hobbies, loves, antipathies, natural aptitudes, etc.. Get a really, really good idea of that. If you're coming into the game in media res, then also think about how your early days as a vampire affected you, what your initial reaction to the embrace was, what your initial opinions of your sire were and how they changed.

Then play *that* character, and then just add in all the supernatural crap and react to that in character. It'll be an organic process, and the mortal/newly embraced character you make will grow into the vampire you will play.

I do this for all my NPCs, too. (Sometimes it's an abbreviated version, but I always try to focus on their mortal lives, especially childhood.)

Basically the advice is this: take preludes seriously.
                I'll give this a strong second. A trap I fell into before (that can be very easy to have) is trying too hard to fit an archetype or tailoring a character to fit a clan box. Just writing a character you'll enjoy should be the first step and their vampiric nature being a secondary consideration onto that. One of the most fun aspects I've had in a recent game was where we played our characters as mortals first and clans were ended up resolved by some chance/circumstance.

Comment

This is definitely the right idea. Person first, supernatural stuff second. But then you can start to grow into your clan/bloodline/sect and let the character evolve. For example you might think about how your character changed after their embrace.

Comment

http://www.vtm.kismetrose.com/sc/cha...cterIndex.html

This helped me out a lot.

Comment

I was mainly just asking for in general tips. Not how to make a character. I've been working on my vampire and his backstory for ~4 weeks now with my ST and get to bring him into the game next Sunday . I've been reading books and watching movies with vampires and taking pieces I want. I watched the newer Fright Night(The one with Colin Farrell) and I really enjoyed him as a vampire. Decided at that point that I needed to be a Sabbat.

Comment

I think the books you've checked out are good choices so far. You might also consider Chaining the Beast as an option for really digging into the idea of Paths (probably even more if you're planning to start on a Path as opposed to Humanity).

Otherwise I think you're taking a good approach already and getting directly involved with your ST so I'm sure they've been doing work to bridge gaps already for you (sort of part of the job description).

-Red
                        V20 Content: Age & Potency
                        V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
                        Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

When it comes to Disciplines;
                          Firstly think how their use would enhance what you would have done without them, making you better at what you were already good at.
                          Secondly, try to imagine all the variable uses of the lowest levels first of your disciplines, as a character would have had most experience with them; Dominate 1 and Obten 1 are both handy and Versatile in the right situations. If level 1 can be used to solve a problem, go to that before level 2 or above.

Comment

Working...
                          X