Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. A. By Night *SPOILERS ALLOWED*

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
    Was a great opening episode in my opinion. My only quibble, and it is fairly minor, is that I would have liked them to go for a Dominance based Compulsion in the scene where Victor lost it. I think it would have lended itself better to the situation and to the description Jason gave leading into it (how dare he order around a Ventrue). Was a little sad to see that lead to something more Hunger based.

Still, great lead in and it was cool seeing some characters from Bloodlines show up already (as well as get referenced, but that was one we already knew about thanks to the core book). Looking forward to the continuation of the series.

Hopefully that avoided spoilers well enough for anyone who hasn't caught the episode yet.
    I to thought that they where going to go for with the compulsion as well. Jason did a good job of describing What the beast was felling like every time hunger or compulsions came into the game.

I am very curious to find out what the guys in the SUVs are trying to do.

Well done guys.

Yea, like I was getting at it was also very cool to see Isaac pop back up again to know that he is still kicking out in the L.A. area.

And I think that scene would have been really fun leaning into the Dominance angle as opposed to the Hunger alone angle it quickly turned to. Felt like an abrupt gear shift to me in the context. Could have also given a little foresight into how those kinds of Compulsions can play out in practice, cause I think we're all mostly comfortable with how the Hunger side will play out. I expect we'll get some diversity as we move along in that area of the game though.

The SUV situation is obviously of interest, but that was a given to some degree for me - the primary hook as it were for the major events of this Chronicle. Still, I look forward to where that goes.

One last thing, a big kudos to Erika for the depiction of a fresh Embrace among those already acclimated to their unlife. That was a really good touch, and gives the game a sense of duality in possible approaches to characters (not that this is exclusive to V5 by any stretch, I just love when that approach is taken in games).

-Red
    V20 Content: Age & Potency
    V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
    Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

Erica did a wonderful job I was so drawn into the story I didn't even stop to think to myself what clan she was and when it was revealed it was a lightbulb moment of "of course she is."

I unfortuanately have never read L.A. By night so I don't know any of the easter eggs they may have added in. I just picked it up though with the 75% off sale to look into it though.

I think Jasper was my top pick. I usually do not like nosferatu but I really enjoyed his character.

Comment

That was a great portrayal of a Nos, I agree. And yea, Erika seeded the idea really well - just subtle enough that it isn't absolutely on the nose but still obvious when you think about it.

To be fair, I dunno much about the L.A. by Night book, my direct experience with the L.A. setting is via the Bloodlines videogame. Though, I suspect, there is crossover from the book to the game, but I can't be certain since I didn't dive into those books like a lot of other ones (I did very little with setting books in general, usually going for my own custom settings instead, but have since gotten into those sourcebooks).

I also really dig the forming group dynamic that is going on. I think the lineup is going to be a fun one. But I will go out on a limb and say the Nos is my breakout favorite member of the PC cast so far. I'm partial to them as a Clan (along with Malks and Tzims), and I think the portrayal so far is a good one.

I'm biased with a lot of G&S stuff though since I've interacted with a lot of those folks before I generally like them all personally. B. Dave Walters, for example, is on a show that uses the game I work on as the system. Erika is also a wonderfully vibrant person from the times I've interacted with her. Top that off for a love of the system and I'm kind of a shoe in for loving this series. So, yea, my sentiments are probably a bit skewed here, but I do love what I'm seeing so far.

-Red
        V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor

Comment

The only characters used in Bloodlines who appeared previously in Vampire books are Beckett and Smiling Jack. Of those two, Smiling Jack was the only one to appear in LA by Night. It's unlikely we'll be seeing him again, since (as of Beckett's Jyhad Diary) he'd gotten tired of LA and had returned to piracy.

So far, we've seen Isaac Abrams, and have heard "Therese" and "Rodriguez" namedropped. All three come from Bloodlines. Therese gets brief coverage in the V5 rulebook, and there's a brief nod to her in the first chapter of BJD. Rodriguez gets fair amount of wordcount in BJD's chapter 7.

MacNeil is almost certainly Jeremy MacNeil, the guy who helped create the Anarch Free States. He comes from LA by Night, and I believe is thus far the only character from that book.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

And there ya go! So that's a few still kicking around.

-Red

Comment

Nice start, Jasper is my favorite. Also liked Bloodlines tie-ins.

Comment

Is bloodlines cannon?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post
                  Is bloodlines cannon?
                  If I recall the plot was considered to be canon at the time and was part of the lead up to the Time of Judgement era. I'm not sure which path of the plot is supposed to be the canon one, or how much of the plot has been adjusted to accommodate the changes to the setting to allow Gehenna to have not taken place (or at least not in the way everyone expected). But it seems that a number of the characters from the game remain canon (as noted above by Ian). I suspect we'll get a bit more of a clear picture on that as things move forward though - I'd be surprised if L.A. doesn't get touched on sooner or later in more detail.

-Red

Comment

Where is LA By Night available to listen to/watch or whatever?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      Where is LA By Night available to listen to/watch or whatever?
                      It is done live on the G&S Twitch channel, but the episodes are getting posted to Alpha as well (if you have a subscription to that).

-Red

Comment

5 minutes!!!! been waiting all week for this.

Comment

Bah, missed the start, I'll have to rewatch, but joining in now!

-Red

Comment

Just tossing this out there, Chaz and the dynamic he brings to the proceedings is just fantastic! This session has been great in general.

-Red

Comment

Great episode. The bestial failures happening when they did really added a lot of good drama to the episode as well. Was not expecting them to add a cam member to the cast and he really showed the whole power over his child aspect of the game. Every one is a pawn. The dialblre did finally explain to me how the toreador possibly got Thaum.

Comment

Working...
                              X