Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST Question: How Do you handle lying?

Good evening everyone,

I'll Make it short: When your NPCs lie, how do you roleplay it? More like in a video Game where Players always know instantly when an NPC is lying to them/is suspicious. Or do you try it like in RL and give your best performance and tell lies casually and without giving out hints?

Looking forward to your replies 😊

I use whatever is good for the story.

Generally, most players are just informed repeatedly across games that Elders lie like humans breathe.

So their characters should always assume someone is lying.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I use a mix of mechanics and narrative. If an NPC is going to lie, though, I will simply lie. My players know they have the option to question anything, and if they do I let them make a check to see what happens. Failure always means they simply aren't sure, they can be suspicious if they like but they have nothing more than their hunch. If they pass, I'll tell them for certain.

It is fun that way, sometimes players will question outright truths, sometimes they just take lies at face value, sometimes they catch people on their bluffs. Kind of like it should be.

-Red
      V20 Content: Age & Potency
      V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
      Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

I personally see as part of the ST job to be a really good role-player, so I lay it on thick and try to get one past the players the best I can, if they become suspicious I will let them make an insight check or something like that depending on the situation. But I agree with Red Eye that its all about making it a fun scene, so I will usually craft my answer very carefully depending on die results if they made some.

Comment

Some characters are better at manipulating people than others.It is just another skill that you have to interpretate.

The Guy with Subterfuge 0 manipulation 1 is gonna be very obvius , having problems not to laugh when telling a lie.Meanwhile the Elder with Manipulation 4 , subterfuge 4 is gonna use a lot of half trues and also try to put himself in a win win situation.There can be hints or not depending of what the PC knows and their stats.Also they can make a roll to see if something is true when they suspect.

But whatever the ST decides to do, players need to learn by experience to be paranoid.Make them get trolled by an elder , an ancillae or even a neonate to make them see that this is the world of darkness where only fools play fair.They are not forced to do all the quests they can choose but choosing has consecuences.It is an invisible tutorial , just don´t over do it make some people tell the true becuase the objetive of a good ST is to reinforce the paranoia not to make the players be SURE that all is a lie.Paranoia is grey.

Hunger pool

Comment

I tend to mix the techniques based on the game and who I am gaming with.

Generally I roleplay the NPC and depending on if I want the PCs to catch the NPC in a lie, I will act suspiciously or not. Of course there are times when the Players need a clue hammer so I then fall back on asking for a dice roll if it fits that their character would notice such things if they weren't paying attention to my intentionally bad acting.

This approach generally works for most game requirements, but there have been a few times where the Players didn't catch the acting difference, then either didn't make the roll or even worse they made the roll, but went in a completely different direction with the information given to them. In those cases you just kind of have to wing it to either bring the game back on track or just see what trouble the players get themselves into.

Comment

When it comes to perceiving lies, I'm always cagey on letting Aura perception detect it on a lie by lie basis. If their feeling dishonest in general with no greater emotion, get that as a general thing, but not allowing it used on each specific comment.

Dominating them to tell the truth is useful though.

Comment

For my NPC's I let the players do a roll if suspicious about what was said and I actually encourage the players to lie and try to outmaneuver each other throughout the story; they are Kindred after all.

Comment

Working...
                X