Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day Drinker Merit - why only for Thinbloods when there are enough other legends?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Isn't that the point?

I.e. that vampires are one specific thing.

But if you are going to start combining and contrasting things, what makes the daywalking ones worth it versus non?

Huh?

VtM are a combination of movie depictions and not based on actual vampire folklore is a fact, yes. They and the term vampire certainly don't fit traditional folkloric creatures though they have taken concepts and aspects from many different pieces of folklore and discarded others, yes.

Vampires as depicted in VtM are certainly a specific thing, but it is its own thing and certainly not based on a specific Eastern European piece of folklore. They are simply an amalgam of movie tropes.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

Huh?

VtM are a combination of movie depictions and not based on actual vampire folklore is a fact, yes. They and the term vampire certainly don't fit traditional folkloric creatures though they have taken concepts and aspects from many different pieces of folklore and discarded others, yes.

Vampires as depicted in VtM are certainly a specific thing, but it is its own thing and certainly not based on a specific Eastern European piece of folklore. They are simply an amalgam of movie tropes.
      I feel like we're talking past one another.

But storytelling wise, I feel like vulnerability during the day is a huge deal for establishing why vampirism is a curse and not a blessing. Vampires in V:TM aren't vulnerable to much but sunlight serves as a great restrictor of movement. It also means that you can do the classic "someone sets your haven on fire." Which can be a great thing to do to vampires.
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-02-2018, 10:56 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I feel like this an odd hill to climb up on, I Mean if we are going to hit things that have little to no mythic basis. Lets start with the Embrace. I definately find more stories of improper burial or sin on the soul to cause someone to return or even genetic predisposition as a thing than purposeful creation by another vampire. Blood potency, Generation, Clans the whole Noddist thing are all made up wholesale...

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          I feel like this an odd hill to climb up on, I Mean if we are going to hit things that have little to no mythic basis. Lets start with the Embrace. I definately find more stories of improper burial or sin on the soul to cause someone to return or even genetic predisposition as a thing than purposeful creation by another vampire. Blood potency, Generation, Clans the whole Noddist thing are all made up wholesale...
          Absolutely.

Comment

Well, G√ľnther, you can play the game all the way you want as long as you have the troupe to do so.
            Daywalking vampires can be interesting for sure but this all takes a serious toll on how Vampire is balanced right now. It's not supposed to be this way in the mechanics of the game. You'd have to tweak a lot or the ST has to come up with new ways of making the vampire (un)life more miserable.

The point is, just because you think an aspect of the game is not the way you'd like it to be, doesn't mean it should be different in standard rules. Make house rules, tweak the game to your liking. Done.
            I actually really like a lot of the ideas but the way they alter the game doesn't resonate well with an audience that is used to the modern image of a vampire and that is expecting something like this. To make vampires vulnerable to sunlight is a decision based on the modern image of vampires for various good reasons.

Comment

Who cares what vampire legends there are? Vampire legends are not a primary or even secondary source for VtM vampires. Interview with the Vampire and Lost Boys are. Complaining about VtM vampires not matching "legends" is like complaining that D&D elves don't live underground. They are their own thing with no real relation.

Comment

Doesn't happen often, but I entirely agree with Kammerer. A game that features Strigoi, Vryokolakas, Penanngalan or whatever might be an awesome game. They might even make an interesting cross-over creature in a VtM game, therefore requiring some homebrew VtM mechanics to make them work. (Most easily built with some powered-up Revenants or WtA's Fomori, probably.)

But, they're not VtM vampires.

If you'd like to write-up Penanngalan: the Detaching, or Strigoi: the Nocturnal Soaring, or whatever... awesome!

They sound like fun games. If you post it on the Storyteller's Vault, I might even buy it. No, really, one of my favorite WoD games is Zombie: the Coil. Homebrew can be amazing. The reason Zombie works, though, is because the writer didn't try to shoe-horn it into an existing game element, like the Risen or the Samedi. Zombies have a rich mythology surrounding them, and are sufficiently different from other WoD splats that they deserve their own space to grow.

Trying to force Strigoi or Vryokolakas into a pre-existing template implies they aren't interesting enough to stand on their own, using their own mythology.

And, they are.

Comment

Working...
                X