Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah..erm...weird question about Female Biology and Vampires

SO.....i was drunk.

Me and some friends were discussing vampiric biology..considering hormones and all that ..Stuff.

Do female vampires have their period? and i dont just mean the blood part.. the ..Hormonal changes, the mood, cramps...yeah..........That.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

By virtue of being dead bodies animated by a curse and locked into the state they are, no.

If they are embraced while having their period...
    Sucks to be you.
    An eternity of having the period.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

All biological processes stop working. Vampires don't have hormones. They're dead.
      Any feelings hormones might bring are brought on by your humanity, memories of what you used to be. But vampires don't on their own produce anything resembling hormones.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
        SO.....i was drunk.

Me and some friends were discussing vampiric biology..considering hormones and all that ..Stuff.

Do female vampires have their period? and i dont just mean the blood part.. the ..Hormonal changes, the mood, cramps...yeah..........That.

Vampires don't have physiological processes like this. They don't release hormones in viable quantities.

According to the best book on Vampire physiology, time of thin blood, the cellular divisions of a thinblood can be seen under a microscope if you watch for days.

Netchurch posits that if you were to watch a normal vampire's body for 100s of years you would notice some developments. It's just so impossibly slow that it barely qualifies. And it's slower the lower you go in Generation. But these physiological coordinated events like the menstrual cycle cannot work if you run them that slowly, they're basically put on pause by the vampiric condition; which makes sense biologically. Women who are starved or placed under extreme physiological stress often regress to a pre-menstrual state to preserve nutrition, and becoming a Vampire is pretty extreme as a physiological state.

The only Vampires who can have periods are female and intersex thin-bloods, and they would do so by spending blood (either deliberately or accidentally).

Having a period would be a good way to spontaneously miscarry, which might be the best move if you're afraid your child will be some kind of eldritch monster.

But to really get into depth on your question... women have their period because their uterus's lining has gotten thicker and thicker in preparation for the possibility of a fertilized egg implanting. If an egg hasn't implanted, that lining needs to be shed and built again since our reproductive system is wasteful and high maintenance (lots of mammals get by without shedding, our system does have advantages though). Does a Vampire's internal organs accumulate tissue? No, we know they don't because they're dead*.

*Or as Netchurch would put it, Unalive.
        Last edited by 11twiggins; 10-06-2018, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
          By virtue of being dead bodies animated by a curse and locked into the state they are, no.

If they are embraced while having their period...
          Sucks to be you.
          An eternity of having the period.
          This isn't true. Canonically the internal organs atrophy during the embrace for normal Vampires, hence bullets doing bashing and bashing being halved (a benefit almost unique to Vampires). If you were having a really bad day digestively that isn't stuck with you for eternity either.

As for mood, I see no evidence that high levels of certain hormones would impact the mood of a Vampire at all. They don't have a functioning endocrine system, so in theory their emotions should be stunted, and yet their emotions are similar to those of humans, which tells you a lot really. If a Vampire can feel maternal or horny or like they should gamble without oxytocin, then it stands to reason that a surge in oxytocin would no longer have an effect on them.

Comment

I think that suboptimal conditions prior to the Embrace could lead to flaws. If it doesn't, the Embrace fixed it for you.
            Hence losing blood each night, bad digestion, short-sightedness, bad mood (prone to frenzy) are all mechanical ways that can be used to account for that.

I believe further, that in most cases, the Embrace fixes you not in the state you are in a strict physical sense, but in a slightly better state. As you would see yourself in your mind, in a good and uncritical mood.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

No.

Presumably, Thin Blooded who can have children do.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                This isn't true. Canonically the internal organs atrophy during the embrace for normal Vampires, hence bullets doing bashing and bashing being halved (a benefit almost unique to Vampires). If you were having a really bad day digestively that isn't stuck with you for eternity either.
                As far as I remember there was one vampire mentioned in "Children of the Night", a knight who was embraced during the crusades and who had a really bad sunburn that now is with him for all eternity. And I would consider the flaw of having a wound you have to heal each and every night something in the same vein. So yes, I would rule that the period is as well something that stays with you untill your final death. Period (pun intended).

Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

In V20 & VRev, Vampires, generally, don't menstruate. Most vampires (besides Cappadocians, Samedi, and... it's always been unclear, but maybe not Nosferatu) can spend blood to temporarily fake single aspects of life, so then, yeah. If a vampire spent blood to make her skin feel warm, it wouldn't restart her menses, but she could also do that separately.

In V20 & VRev, thin-bloods show "anomalous biological activity" at times, usually when they're healing agg damage. Some can even get pregnant, producing a dhampir. (Pregnancy is so rare most vampires consider it an urban myth.) So, them, yes, but in fits and starts, unpredictably.

In V5, vampires fake human biology on an "all or nothing" basis for a full night for a single rouse check. So, if a vampire wants to fake warm skin, and foggy breath in the winter, she might get her period, as well. Depending, of course, on at what point in the month she was embraced. (Note, Humanity also comes into play, here. It got a lot more complicated in V5.)

Also, in V5, Thin-bloods benefit from the Blush of Life (V5, p113) at all times, for free, with the degree of effect dependent on Humanity score. It isn't specified, but I assume this means they may get their period, as usual. Permanent Lifelike (V5, p184) is also an advantage available to Thin-bloods. I assume Lifelike would allow periods regardless of Humanity.

This all raises a question I've been pondering since V5 came out. We all just say know vampires revert back to the state they were in at the time of the embrace each night. Cut hair regrows, tattoos disappear, and other changes revert.

If, however, I had only ever read the V5 corebook, how would I know that? I've been looking for the section that says the body resets, and haven't found it. Am I just missing the section that spells this out?

Comment

Thinking about these details and hormones makes me think about odd elements of vampire rules.

I always liked the flaw of Child Vampires having +2 to Frenzy roll problems ala the Brujah because they never hit puberty so they have no experience with the feelings

Which I assume means Brujah child vampires are just inevitably wassail in a couple of weeks.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      Thinking about these details and hormones makes me think about odd elements of vampire rules.

I always liked the flaw of Child Vampires having +2 to Frenzy roll problems ala the Brujah because they never hit puberty so they have no experience with the feelings

Which I assume means Brujah child vampires are just inevitably wassail in a couple of weeks.
                      Mechanically, that's about the same as Brujah, and some of them avoid wassail for at least a couple months. Probably more dangerous is being taught how to maintain humanity by the sort of sire who would sire a child childe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post

Mechanically, that's about the same as Brujah, and some of them avoid wassail for at least a couple months. Probably more dangerous is being taught how to maintain humanity by the sort of sire who would sire a child childe.
                        Well, I meant if you were a Brujah child childe then you're +4 and fucked.

I tend to assume most children Kindred are created as attempts to save their lives by guilty Kindred. That's how Neon and Nicolai were made.

You need real sick fucks like Khalid to make children as is.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I am writing it up so that the average Virtues of Vampires and Ghouls are achieved by adulthood. That's why embracing a toddler doesn't work; they Wassail (tragically) since their self-control or courage are at 0. Most Vampires don't even consider embracing children, let alone infants, so this isn't a well understood phenomenon. Suffice it to say that even a jaded Elder would find this incredibly distasteful.

A teenager might have 5 points of Virtues rather than 7 as the default, although if this were a PC they would be welcome to put those points elsewhere, or take the normal virtue levels. PCs aren't average Vampires after all.
                          Last edited by 11twiggins; 10-07-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

I am writing it up so that the average Virtues of Vampires and Ghouls are achieved by adulthood. That's why embracing a toddler doesn't work; they Wassail (tragically) since their self-control or courage are at 0. Most Vampires don't even consider embracing children, let alone infants, so this isn't a well understood phenomenon. Suffice it to say that even a jaded Elder would find this incredibly distasteful.

A teenager might have 5 points of Virtues rather than 7 as the default, although if this were a PC they would be welcome to put those points elsewhere, or take the normal virtue levels. PCs aren't average Vampires after all.
                            Why not just let people buy down their virtues to get freebies, so every character has the versatility? It's very hard to play a character with a weak virtue (like self control) without the other two being super high

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post

Why not just let people buy down their virtues to get freebies, so every character has the versatility? It's very hard to play a character with a weak virtue (like self control) without the other two being super high
                              I want to say the flaw for that is in one of the Dark Ages books, right there with the flaw to start out already having degenerated in exchange for freebies.

Comment

Working...
                              X