KOTE chronicle advice and brainstorm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOTE chronicle advice and brainstorm

Ok, I've just finished reading almost every single KOTE book, and I want to run a chronicle (maybe in the future)

Just, brainstorm plot hooks (or characters, or really anything KOTE you can come up with)

My English sucks. Sorry.

What's the setting?

East or West?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

It would also help to know if you are going with standard Dharmas, heretical Dharmas, or siding with the yama kings.

Come to think of it the time period would also be helpful since just like normal vampire, you have a couple thousand years of histories and cultures to play with. A game set in china during the Three Kingdoms period will play out very differently than a game set during the Opium Wars or the Boxer Rebellion.

Comment

Yeah. Most important is where you set it. Outside of the influence of the Quincunx things become much more 'interesting'. I've set many chronicles in SE Asia and Oceania and I cannot over-emphasise getting the culture and folklore as authentic as possible to really sell the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
          What's the setting?

East or West?

I'd like to go for somewhere in between, say oceania

My English sucks. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
            It would also help to know if you are going with standard Dharmas, heretical Dharmas, or siding with the yama kings.

Come to think of it the time period would also be helpful since just like normal vampire, you have a couple thousand years of histories and cultures to play with. A game set in china during the Three Kingdoms period will play out very differently than a game set during the Opium Wars or the Boxer Rebellion.
            Heretical dharmas yep, yama kings nah

Also, modern days

My English sucks. Sorry.

Comment

I guess it really depends on what sort of feel you want to go for in your game. Trying to mix the heretical Dharmas can get a bit weird to balance, so you might want to have either a single dharma coterie or just have the majority be one dharma.

Flame of the Rising Phoenix is good for a "Vampions" style game where you are essentially a "do gooder" vampire who is just trying to keep everyone safe and things calm. A group of them can run around breaking up slave traffickers, drug rings, or just institutional corruption.

Spirit of the Living Earth lends itself to more environmentally friendly games and running with themes of purity and honor. Probably this would be your best bet if you had some Hengeyokai PCs tagging along. Sure they might be a bit wyrm tainted, but far less than so many other creatures out there.

The Scorpian Eaters are just straight up for having fun being the mobsters from a john wu movie. Good for one off games where you just want to blow off steam or have a change of pace.

Face of the Gods is one of my personal favorite dharmas because it requires you to think outside the box. Each godling is expected and required to build a personal cult to progress as a character. This means you have to not just consider who and what your character is, but what you cult is like. It's kind of like running two characters at the same time. Do you try to hold territory on your own or do you work together with other godlings to create a form of pantheon? Is your cult a casual go to church on sunday and get the occasional laying of hands healing sort of religion or do you go for a darker and potentially more useful path? Considering the historical precedent for assassin groups to also be cults, this means you could give the assamites some competition. Going the whole blood orgy cult route can be fun with the right group of players, but generally it is better to create cults that are more focused on being functional.

Comment

I think it would be fun to do Singapore as a true modern island with Kindred and Wan Gui influence! Toss in Mages, Hsien and Bolizhouhisze!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                X