Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do your vamps routinely wear masks when going about their business?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, because once it starts we go full superhero.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post

That sounds like something that's going to piss off the Camarilla sooner or later.
      I don't see how. The Camarilla wants no vamp getting spotted or caught doing anything, ever. The mask is not your first line of defense. Your first line of defense is being so careful, so stealthy, so deceptive that no mortal realizes a sketchy person was involved, especially not a specific sketchy person.

The mask is so that if you fuck up, which you will in time, then witnesses will start blabbering about a faceless boogieman instead of providing a description that traces back to you, which in turn leads to an investigation of the specific details of your identity that threaten the masquerade (and thus your continued existence).

Reports of masked individuals up to no good are examples of that first line of defense occasionally failing around the nation, not idiot showboat vampires assuming a mask is all they need to act with impunity.

Originally posted by Lian View Post
      No, because once it starts we go full superhero.
      I realize now this has been a subtext assumption throughout the thread that I should have anticipated. No, as I've just stated above, I don't have vampire Green Goblins running around my setting.

Comment

Personally, not typically for my characters. Though, I did have a Nosferatu that always wore a mask, that was kind of fun. Just depends how likely wearing a mask will make you stick out. Going around a nightclub in a mask, for example, can be a negative.
        Originally posted by MatterofTact View Post
        I don't see how. The Camarilla wants no vamp getting spotted or caught doing anything, ever.
        I think it related to your wording of 'scattered reports across the nation' about masked individuals. That starts to become a profile. One from which a person might build a conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
          I think it related to your wording of 'scattered reports across the nation' about masked individuals. That starts to become a profile. One from which a person might build a conspiracy.
          Ah, a fair observation. I get around issues like that by having the Camarilla bankroll the spread of obviously inane conspiracy theories that have nothing to do with them, that way the culture at large is dismissive of anyone trying to tie anything together into a neat little story.

"It's just regular random criminals wearing cheap disposable masks, man, like wild west bandits. There's nothing special going on."

Comment

Personally I'd say that this is mainly a matter of campaign style and thus something to be handled around the table and that can easily be justified by 'rule of cool' - there's plenty of stuff in Vampire that is already there because it's cool rather than practical so what's one more element.

However as a counterpoint to what other people have said I think that many metropolitan crowds would mostly turn a blind eye to someone in a mask (this may be a cultural difference between England and America however) especially if that someone were wearing or doing something to validate the mask - cosplay/entertainment/costume/outlandish subculture. Even the police will ignore someone in a mask if they appear to be a performer of some sort - although they'd ask the person to remove that mask asap if they found some other reason to stop them. In England the police are not meant to stop you simply for wearing 'different' clothing - you also need to be acting suspiciously.

Comment

I'd just like to point out the disciplines already mentioned, and those that haven't, that would aid one in not needing a mask by obscuring memories of their appearance or making witnesses disinclined to snitch, are better put to use getting others to do shady shit for you.

Comment

I had a character that always wore a mask and body suit to prevent even skin cells or hair being left behind. Not that most people noticed, because that was under Mask of a Thousand Faces.
                It was also there to confuse the heck out of cops when they compare witness reports to the security footage.

Comment

Originally posted by MatterofTact View Post

I realize now this has been a subtext assumption throughout the thread that I should have anticipated. No, as I've just stated above, I don't have vampire Green Goblins running around my setting.
                  I Mean my statement was abit tongue and cheek but I know my players.. the second someone puts on a mask its... going at Least Daredevil. I don't intrinsically assume this is an issue for your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                    I Mean my statement was abit tongue and cheek but I know my players.. the second someone puts on a mask its... going at Least Daredevil. I don't intrinsically assume this is an issue for your game.
                    It's ok, I was just clarifying because that's a perfectly normal assumption many people might make. This is a very "super hero/villain" moment in our culture after all, enough to eclipse regular criminal / masked killer, and Masquerade has been run as dark superheroics by many groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
                      Personally I'd say that this is mainly a matter of campaign style and thus something to be handled around the table and that can easily be justified by 'rule of cool' - there's plenty of stuff in Vampire that is already there because it's cool rather than practical so what's one more element.
                      I would personally argue vampire and most other settings built on a 'hidden supernatural world that interacts with ours' are utterly dependent on Rule of Cool because the central premise is too absurd to survive any detailed scrutiny.

Remember in the video game Bloodlines how they make a big deal out of one serial killer running around in Santa Monica in the early game, causing a few deaths, possibly endangering the masquerade, then later in the Sabbat-controlled hotel in downtown LA you're literally wading through lakes of blood coming from the hundreds of victims that festoon the place? Yeah, in my experience that's typical WoD whiplash.

I'm not complaining by the way, just saying I always keep Rule of Cool firmly in mind.
                      Last edited by MatterofTact; 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X