V20 - diablerie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWEVER
    All of this does stink a little of a player working out the mechanical cost benefit of an action with information that a character has absolutely no way of knowing or understanding the ramifications of the actions in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Iโ€™m not assuming a 9th gen to be that Noticeably potent.
      In general they wouldn't be. But in terms of comparing against a 13th gen? It wouldn't quite be the equivalent of Mithras and Monty, but the risk of being subsumed by your victim's soul is higher than that of a closer generation/age vampire.

9th gen would generally be embraced in the Dark Ages, so around 800 years old (roughly). A 13th generation would be embraced in the modern nights, so maybe 30-50 years old. That's a big discrepancy to overcome.

Comment

Vast majority of 9th gen arenโ€™t 900 years old. That would put them in methuselah range. Some are, but most arenโ€™t.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Either way there is a vast disparity of experience between the 2 generations that would up the difficulty of successful diablerie. Plus the 13th generation isn't likely to know what diablerie is, whereas the 9th gen is more likely to have heard of at least Tremere and Saulot, if not the results of the Anarch Revolt.

Back on topic. In general a vampire committing diablerie would lower themselves by 1 generation, as they are closer in experience and will power.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
            HOWEVER
            All of this does stink a little of a player working out the mechanical cost benefit of an action with information that a character has absolutely no way of knowing or understanding the ramifications of the actions in that way.
            It's true that I try to understand how it would work mechanically at other ST's tables because our ST has turned the entire setting against the coterie to keep us under control when we managed to become a more credible threat to the enemy faction.
            So if my PC, driven by despair, commits diablerie, I would like to be able to compare the consequences that our ST chooses for it in relation to what other ST's might do.

I understand that the ST is always right but it's just that some players feel that the chronicle has systematically been adjusted to negate any progress the characters achieved (in-game and mechanically via getting a good throw of the dice on a situation set by the ST where such result was quite improbable) that was not linear progression.

I'd like to understand how others might manage this act but only to constructively discuss it with the ST if my character is narativelly driven to it. Of course I'll accept his ruling, it's his table and story after all ๐Ÿ˜
            Last edited by DuncanD; 10-18-2018, 01:20 AM. Reason: Typos and clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post
              Either way there is a vast disparity of experience between the 2 generations that would up the difficulty of successful diablerie. Plus the 13th generation isn't likely to know what diablerie is, whereas the 9th gen is more likely to have heard of at least Tremere and Saulot, if not the results of the Anarch Revolt.

Back on topic. In general a vampire committing diablerie would lower themselves by 1 generation, as they are closer in experience and will power.
              Our coterie learned about the generals of diablerie when they learned that the main Sabbat opponent did it to a Cam NPC in order to take her powers.

Thing is my PC is not keen on doing the same but the chronicle is getting more and more desperate for the coterie and he might be driven to it narativelly.

Comment

Other Ways to power up is through (mostly broken) Blood Magic.

Draw from the Bond (old lvl 4 Thaum ritual) gives you the Disciplines of a blood bonded kindred.

Degulo (sp?) A necro path of the skull at 5 gives you the opportunity to switch traits with a deceased victim.

And a telyav lvl 5 ritual that gives you 1 dot in each Discipline that you posess (temporarily but still).

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Thank you for all the answers. My original question is answered in as much as possible without discussing specifics with my ST.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanD View Post
                    Thank you for all the answers. My original question is answered in as much as possible without discussing specifics with my ST.

As a ST myself, I highly encourage you to talk to your ST anyway. We greatly appreciate a heads-up for heavily dramatic stuff, and Diablerie is certainly that.
                    Plus, your ST ALWAYS has the last word, regardless of how many people have said different on the forums. So, do discuss it with them. It will save you, and the rest of your table, a lot of hassle.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

I'll second pang4 here: talk to your ST. No amount of "but the book" or "but people on the internet, will get around the fact that the ST gets the final say on the consequences of diablere. If you're trying to keep your plans under wraps because you're worried he'll use his being forewarned against you, then you *really* need to talk to him. Your ST should not be your enemy and if he's playing that way, something need to change.

Comment

Originally posted by pang4 View Post

As a ST myself, I highly encourage you to talk to your ST anyway. We greatly appreciate a heads-up for heavily dramatic stuff, and Diablerie is certainly that.
                        Plus, your ST ALWAYS has the last word, regardless of how many people have said different on the forums. So, do discuss it with them. It will save you, and the rest of your table, a lot of hassle.
                        That's what I planned to do but since some weeks may pass easily between sessions I wanted to make up my mind about what my character would be likely to do and the consequences thereof. ๐Ÿค”

Comment

Originally posted by idlepigeon View Post
                          I'll second pang4 here: talk to your ST. No amount of "but the book" or "but people on the internet, will get around the fact that the ST gets the final say on the consequences of diablere. If you're trying to keep your plans under wraps because you're worried he'll use his being forewarned against you, then you *really* need to talk to him. Your ST should not be your enemy and if he's playing that way, something need to change.
                          As I answered Pang4, that was the plan. I just didn't want to waste is time by talking about nitty gritty mechanics ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanD View Post

As I answered Pang4, that was the plan. I just didn't want to waste is time by talking about nitty gritty mechanics ๐Ÿ˜Ž
                            Except you need to talk to your ST about this. This is an event that will irrevocably change the story. You feel this is how events will culminate so you need to figure out the end result if things go down this way. You're talking about a boost of 1 generation, at least, which grants more dots, and has long-term ramifications for your character alone. Any vampire with Auspex will immediately know what you've done, which will put a target on your back. Diablerie isn't taken lightly.

Comment

Working...
                            X