V20 - experience rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
    Which, for the four of us in the current chronicle who played TC before, was a pretty substantial issue. The ST who ran it for us previous just didn't award enough experience for us to really feel on-par with published characters of equivalent age and renown, at least in terms of attributes and abilities. The discipline dots were there, but everything else just made us look and feel deficient by comparison. There's a case to be made because our characters were PC's, we optimized the hell out of them where the published characters weren't necessarily, but that's not really comforting to look at a character sheet and see attributes and abilities barely above starting-level, then look at a published character's stats and see a sea of 4's and 5's.

Which, my resolution for that in my own TC game, is to normalize all NPC's in accordance with my rules I mentioned earlier. The elephant-sized "but" is, I'm optimizing the dogshit out of them, and playing up how vampires tend to not survive past their first century without some major trump card in their pocket, the most common being Auspex.
    It's funny, the first run through of TC, with their easily abused Maturation points for downtime, we were way overpowered for the NPCs. given book suggested XP rewards. Maybe we took more sessions to get through the material because we often went sideways on the plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
      It's funny, the first run through of TC, with their easily abused Maturation points for downtime, we were way overpowered for the NPCs. given book suggested XP rewards. Maybe we took more sessions to get through the material because we often went sideways on the plot?
      The way the books always handled maturation has been wonky as hell, especially between editions. DA:V's maturation rules are just insane, and VtDA's are way too constrictive. What I've always wondered, was TC started when the current edition was VtDA, but ran well into the DA:V line, but the maturation system was never changed or errata'd in the TC books. When I played my Tremere in the older TC game, the ST had never read and was never even aware the maturation system had been changed in DA:V, because he'd always used VtDA's rules and books -- probably why most of the PC's ended up under-powered in the long run, thinking about it.

I'm just using VtDA's system where they're more or less interchangeable with experience, but cranked up a bit and normalized. I'm currently awarding 40-60 experience overall per century spread out over 3-5 stories, so adding in the 40 maturation per century means they should be expecting 80-100 total experience per century. Meaning, at the chronicle's endgame they should expect to have 600-800 experience overall.

The sample PC I cooked up to give them a reasonable expectation of what they're dealing with, and about where their characters should be at chronicle's end, is an 800-year-old elder with something like 768 experience total if I remember off the top of my head. And, his stats:

Str 4, Dex 5, Sta 4
      Cha 6, Man 4, App 3
      Per 4, Int 4, Wits 5

Alertness 4, Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Dodge 4, Empathy 4, Expression 3, Intimidation 3, Leadership 5, Subterfuge 4
      Commerce 3, Etiquette 3, Melee 3, Performance 4, Ride 3, Survival 3
      Academics 3, Investigation 2, Law 2, Linguistics 3, Occult 4, Politics 4, Seneschal 2, Theology 2

Road 7, WP 10, Cons 3, S-C 4, Courage 3

Auspex (C) 6, Celerity (C) 6, Presence (C) 7, Fortitude 3, Obfuscate 4, Potence 2
      Little light on abilities, but attribute-heavy and otherwise not too divergent from published characters of that age, save more focus on in-clan disciplines than most. Which, to me, makes sense because Toreador couldn't hope to have a better discipline spread for who they are and what they do, and don't really need to go heavy out-of-clan except to score themselves a cute trump card or two, which for this character is Obfuscate out the tits.

EDIT: Funny foot note, when I made this character I thought to myself, "what happens if a vampire using Majesty uses Vanish from the Mind's Eye?". Some outstandingly funny implications ensued, which I very much plan to employ for Helena when, not if, she shows up in TC's late game. Because of course I'm the kind of sadistic son of a bitch to throw a group of 800-year-old elders into Chicago, right in the middle of an eternal war between two millennia-old methuselahs, just to see what happens.
      Last edited by Theodrim; 10-22-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

The way the books always handled maturation has been wonky as hell, especially between editions. DA:V's maturation rules are just insane, and VtDA's are way too constrictive. What I've always wondered, was TC started when the current edition was VtDA, but ran well into the DA:V line, but the maturation system was never changed or errata'd in the TC books. When I played my Tremere in the older TC game, the ST had never read and was never even aware the maturation system had been changed in DA:V, because he'd always used VtDA's rules and books -- probably why most of the PC's ended up under-powered in the long run, thinking about it.

I'm just using VtDA's system where they're more or less interchangeable with experience, but cranked up a bit and normalized. I'm currently awarding 40-60 experience overall per century spread out over 3-5 stories, so adding in the 40 maturation per century means they should be expecting 80-100 total experience per century. Meaning, at the chronicle's endgame they should expect to have 600-800 experience overall.

The sample PC I cooked up to give them a reasonable expectation of what they're dealing with, and about where their characters should be at chronicle's end, is an 800-year-old elder with something like 768 experience total if I remember off the top of my head. And, his stats:

Little light on abilities, but attribute-heavy and otherwise not too divergent from published characters of that age, save more focus on in-clan disciplines than most. Which, to me, makes sense because Toreador couldn't hope to have a better discipline spread for who they are and what they do, and don't really need to go heavy out-of-clan except to score themselves a cute trump card or two, which for this character is Obfuscate out the tits.

EDIT: Funny foot note, when I made this character I thought to myself, "what happens if a vampire using Majesty uses Vanish from the Mind's Eye?". Some outstandingly funny implications ensued, which I very much plan to employ for Helena when, not if, she shows up in TC's late game. Because of course I'm the kind of sadistic son of a bitch to throw a group of 800-year-old elders into Chicago, right in the middle of an eternal war between two millennia-old methuselahs, just to see what happens.
        Helena showing up, eh. That should be pretty damn amusing (for you). Hope your players have a "fun" time with it.

Comment

Working...
        X